The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2012, 01:18 PM   #26
Clark

To me the boat tail bullet slows down less from air resistance than flat base.
That means more energy on the target, less trajectory compensation, and less wind compensation.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 12, 2012, 01:30 PM   #27
Jim Watson

I used to think the boattail was for better subsonic performance but after doing the shooting, the real advantage is that its higher ballistic coefficient keeps it supersonic to longer range. If you are shooting so far that your bullets end up subsonic, you have a whole 'nother set of problems.
Old June 12, 2012, 03:24 PM   #28
paperpounder

Interesting thread, you guys are good.

I don't reload but just ordered 5 boxes of Hornady Btsp custom .243 from Palmetto mostly due to price and the free shipping.

Most of my shots are under 100 yards but upon reading reviews, it seems like nice ammo and I was wondering what the pro or cons of boattail ammo happened to be.
Old June 16, 2012, 12:34 AM   #29
tahoe2

I shoot both. I believe boattails take over about 250 yards plus, but in my shooting out to 300 yards I haven't noticed a difference.
Old June 16, 2012, 06:17 AM   #30
Guybo

I've loaded and shot both and really can't tell any difference in performance on game and don't think the average shooter/hunter will either. When it comes to on game performance the bullets construction is what seperates one bullet from another IMO. Either will work fine just use what ever shoots the most accurate in your rifle. I will say that flat base bullets have always seemed to be a little more accurate for me with the rifles that i've owned and loaded for over the years so that's all that i use now a days.

Last edited by Guybo; June 16, 2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old June 16, 2012, 08:46 AM   #31
Rangefinder

All right, I'll admit it. The Boat Tail has one very distinct advantage over the Flat Base no matter what range you're shooting. It's a heck of a lot easier to seat when you're sitting at the press.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.