The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 10, 2012, 12:26 AM   #26
troopcom

I went back to the range and took some different ammo. To my surprise my mauser shot better groups with the Yugo surplus than any other ammo I tried. All the mentioned shots were from 100 yards.

S&B 196 grain: 1 five shot group was 3 1/2"

Romanian surplus: 5 five shot groups, largest was around 5" and smallest around 4"

Yugo surplus: 5 five shot groups, largest was 3 1/2" while the smallest group was 2" the other groups averaged around 3" per five shot group. Always that one flyer that would opent the group up!

I had a lot of vertical stringing, but not much horizontal. The horizontal width on most groups was under 3", it was the vertical stringing that caused the groups to be so big. Is this me or the rifle? Sometimes I felt like I was messing up the elevation a bit and that the rifle could shoot much better than me.
Old June 11, 2012, 04:27 PM   #27
m&p45acp10+1

I usualy confirm sights at 25 and 50 yards. Then I just put a B-27 target at 100 yards. If I can keep the shots inside of the torso at 100 yards I call it good enough for me. I have 3 Mosin Nagant 91-30 rifles. I can keep all shots inside of the 8 ring at 100 yards with spam can ammo. My hand loads are a different story. I did not load those for supreme accuracy. I loaded them for reduced recoil, and the Mrs. has back, and neck problems so I had to come up with some rounds she could shoot from her rifle without wanting to go home to lay down after 5 shots.
Old June 14, 2012, 07:58 PM   #28
troopcom

What does everyone else's mauser average at 100 yards? Five shot groups ofcourse!