The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1
browninghunter86

Question About Case Tumbler???

Is it bad to put reloading dies or any parts like that in case tumbler to clean?

Dies are getting dirty/looking dark brown even though I clean and oil them before storage?

Also what about my LE Wilson chamfer/debur tool?

Or if anyone has a simpler way to remove this that would be great
Old June 12, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2
k4swb

I've done it occasionally with no bad results. Heavy stuff does not tumble well but the media will circulate somewhat.

Any more I just keep things cleaned with Hornady's One Shot Cleaner & Dry Lube. The stuff is great even if expensive.
Old June 12, 2012, 10:03 PM   #3
dacaur

I dont think it would hurt anything to tumble them, just make sure you get all the media out....

I use lanolin on all my dies (lano-lube, specificaly), it doesnt wipe off no matter how hard you wipe like many oils do. We use it in the machine shop to coat gages and standards and things like that which are bare metal and would rust just from touching them without some coating.

Just apply it once or twice a year and you are good to go.
Old June 13, 2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Uncle Buck

I put my dies in the vibratory tumbler and thought they were getting cleaned. When I went to use them a few nights ago, I could not get the brass to resize.

I ended up putting some bore cleaner on them and used a bore brush, wrapped with very fine steel wool. Cleaned them up and they worked fine. I was using the Hornady One-Shot Lube.

You may or may not get satisfactory results by doing it, but I do not think you would hurt anything.
Old June 13, 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
hooligan1

If my dies start looking dingy or rusty or anything of the sort, I throw'em in for an hour or two, makes them look brand new!