The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 31, 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Nick S.

Disassemble Mossberg 500 A

The trigger assembly won't come out after I removed the pin. Do I have to remove the butt stock first? I don't have a pistol grip. It's a regular old wooden stock. I've watched several videos on the 500 and it comes right out. The only video I found on the 500 A had a pistol grip and that's why he said the stock had to be removed.
Old June 1, 2012, 12:38 AM   #2
UnbearablePanda

Buttstock is always first. Than the trigger should be able to be pulled up.
Old June 1, 2012, 01:15 AM   #3
hoytinak

You don't have to remove the buttstock on a 500 to field strip it. After you take the trigger assembly pin out the trigger assembly should pretty much just fall out. Mine's the old wood stock and I just did it to make sure.
Old June 1, 2012, 02:04 AM   #4
UnbearablePanda

Well if its new yes. My 590a1 and my friend 500 wouldn't come out unless we took out the buttstocks. If youve worn it in enough it wouldn;t block the trigger set.
Old June 1, 2012, 06:33 AM   #5
kx592

i have a new 590a1 and no need to take the butt off, only if its a straight pistol grip to my knowledge. Just give a tug from the butt end of the trigger group up and back and should come out.
Old June 1, 2012, 07:19 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Buttstock bolt needs a washer or 2 or carefully shortened on a grinder as it is binding up on trigger housing so needs relieved anyway as that is not part of the planned design...

Brent
Old June 1, 2012, 07:21 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Will only get worse as gun "wears in" as bolt head will dent in the stock as well as bolt will stretch a tiny bit being soft metal and so long...

Brent
Old June 1, 2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Nick S.

Got it.

UnbearablePanda was right. Maybe that's the difference between the 500 and the 500a. It came right out, no problem after I completely removed the stock. As I gradually loosened it, the housing got looser & looser but wouldn't come out until removed. There were already 2 washers under the bolt head. I tried adding a 3rd & put it all back together but nothing changed. Then I put it back together without the trigger assem. & looked at the threaded part where the bolt threads in. It was shy of even coming flush by a few threads. So I removed the 3rd washer & reassem it again to retain full thread contact into the receiver. I think the situation is that the rear,rounded tang on the trig/assem fits so tight in the stock, that there's no swing room for it to lift out. The front edge of the trig/assem hooks into the receiver so the rear must swing in an arc as it's lifted. The only other way to change things would be to file away a clearance angle on the tang which might weaken the perfect fit it now has. I want to thank everyone for all the tips. After today I feel like I could take it apart & back together blindfolded.
Old June 1, 2012, 03:31 PM   #9
scottd913

try raking the forend back half way the trigger group should lift out
Old June 1, 2012, 03:45 PM   #10
Nick S.

I'm not sure what you mean. That front edge was hooked in pretty good. I tried forcing it back enough to slip out but I couldn't do it without feeling like something might break. It's only plastic.
Old June 2, 2012, 12:29 AM   #11
UnbearablePanda

Had the exact same problem not too long ago actually Called up a friend with a 500. Said he just removed the stock first and I had to facepalm myself for not noticing. The internals are freaking amazingly easy to put in and out after the first time .I wouldn;t cut anything or even try to sand it down. When my ATI Pro stock came in it stated that it shouldn't be pushed together. Leave a tiny bit room left together within the holding spaces. Guns are expensive, don't damage anything!
Old June 2, 2012, 07:11 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

One more time... the stock bolt is BINDING and SHOULD NOT be hitting the trigger group... Over torquing is usual cause.... even from the factory.

Brent
Old June 2, 2012, 02:33 PM   #13
UnbearablePanda

It doesn't seem like it...... Even with my ATI stock it wont come out without removing it. Since it is touching the trigger group. I really don't see how, plus the original stock was REALLY easy to come out. So how does that make it over tightened?
Old June 3, 2012, 05:13 PM   #14
Nick S.

Hotdogs,as I said, when I put the stock back without the trigger group & looked at the place where the stock bolt threads in, it wasn't protruding at all. The stock just presses in & captures the rounded tang very tightly.