The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 29, 2012, 01:20 PM   #1
rebs

primer pocket swager ?

I have some Winchester 223 and it is crimped, also some remington peters that is crimped and lake city that is crimped. I tried the Lyman pocket reamer and the lyman deburrer and with both I still have quite a few cases that will not take a new primer without crushing the primer in.
The Lyman primer pocket reamer in a drill and still have problems putting in a new primer, what the heck am I doing wrong ?

what do you guys use to remove the crimp from primer pockets on 223 or 5.56 military brass ?

Last edited by rebs; May 29, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:27 PM   #2
thedaddycat

I use a RCBS pocket swaging die in the O frame press as a seperate step after decapping.
Old May 29, 2012, 01:33 PM   #3
4runnerman

Ditto the daddycat
Old May 29, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4
rebs

is anyone using the new RCBS swager combo 2 ?
How well does it work ?
Old May 29, 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

I use the Dillon Super Swage 600. Very quick. On select match cases for long range precision loads I use the primer pocket profile reamer on my Wilson trimmer. Cutting has two advantages over swaging: One is that there is no anvil squashing any flash hole (also called the vent) burrs flat and over top of the vent itself (I usually deburr the inside of the vent on my drill press before swaging for that reason). The other is that the swager pushes brass aside, which results in a slightly raised area around the lip of the primer pocket. It will flatten back out at the next firing, but for precision loads I want it gone already.

Cutting also has one disadvantage compared to swaging tools: It is much slower and more effort to do. That's why only a small number of select cases get that treatment from me.
NRA Patron Member
Old May 29, 2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Scimmia

Quote:
is anyone using the new RCBS swager combo 2 ?
How well does it work ?
Yep, I'm using it, works the same as the original. That is to say it works very well. The Dillion is supposed to be really slick, but the RCBS setup works great for me.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Toolman

I've been using the RCBS swager die for years. I think I recently read that they're discontinuing it. Why? I don't know, mine works great.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Vance

RCBS is discontinuing the original because the 2nd version has now been released. I am using the new one and it works very well. I too found that the Lyman pocket reamer did not work on all cases. The RCBS unit does a very consistant job of it.
Old May 31, 2012, 03:19 PM   #9
oldpapps

Luckily we only have to do it once.

I went with a C&H unit. Strong and sure.

http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&vie...t&alias=419000

Be safe and enjoy,

OSOK
Old May 31, 2012, 04:50 PM   #10
solitude127

I wonder what the difference is in the new RCBS Swager Combo2 is as compared to the original?
Old May 31, 2012, 06:18 PM   #11
Scimmia

Quote:
I wonder what the difference is in the new RCBS Swager Combo2 is as compared to the original?
The rods are supposed to be stonger and the swager buttons slightly redesigned for better consistancy. The rods bending was the biggest complaint with the original, so that's a plus. No idea what they really changed on the swager buttons.
Old June 1, 2012, 12:17 AM   #12
Clark

The Dillon Super Swage 600 costs so much and works so well, it should be shared between handloaders.

But the nearest other handloading bench is 900 miles from here, so I can't borrow it.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 1, 2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Striker1

I use the new RCBS Bench Mounted Swager. Works similar to the Dillon but costs a bit less.

I have only done about 500 pieces of brass on it but so far it works good.

Last edited by Striker1; June 1, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old June 1, 2012, 08:00 PM   #14
GWS

RCBS Bench Swager Video Included

I bought the new RCBS Bench-mounted swager. I was very curious whether they could get away with that short handle, and still be near effortless as the Dillon version is.

It works as advertised. One thing I really like is the absence of another handle hanging over the bench.

I did a picture review of the tool on AR15.com and they put it in their tacked Gateway thread. If you're curious about this green usurper...check it out HERE. First Picture is a Video......Don't mind the piece of brass that didn't work....too dumb to notice there was still a primer in it.

I retired my old RCBS press swager, and my brand new Trim Mate Reamer!

Last edited by GWS; June 1, 2012 at 08:07 PM.