The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
bossman

Happy with snake shot

I made up some 38spl shot shells and was fairly impressed with them. I used #8 shot and 3 grs of Bullseye, just a nice little pop when fired. I shot a pizza box at 6 ft with a S&W 638. All shot hit on the box a little low of POA but nice right to left spread. About a third of the shot went through the lid and 6 all the way through.

I used styrofoam for my wads and got about 60 to 70 #8 in the round. I put in the 3grs of Bullseye and put a styrofoam wad all the way down on the powder added the shot and then another styrofoam wad and sealed with candle wax. A simple and fun little round.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

Speer Shotshell capsules

Cost more than your method, but may be quicker to make up. Did you happen to weigh the shot load?

I have a bunch of rounds with shot capsules, and loaded in 357 brass with Unique. These rounds are fairly long. When shooting sod poodles a SP101 goes along in case a nasty wattle snake happens to cross paths with me.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:40 PM   #3
serf 'rett

Quote:
Happy with snake shoot
Bet the snake ain't overjoyed
Old May 24, 2012, 07:24 PM   #4
dwright1951

I used to load 45 long colt shotshells, used gas checks (used to be easy to find and cheap) put in powder then 1 gas check with the opening up then shot then 1 gas check opening down and a light crimp. Don't remember the powder charge I quit messing with them because there were too many holes in the pattern at close range. I prefer a solid bullet, if you shoot a snake with it you will usually make more than 2 holes and when the bullet hits the dirt it acts like a shotgun but from the bottom up.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:44 AM   #5
GP100man

Not happy with 38 payload

I do this in 357 GPs , it`s sorta time consuming but worth it in the end !!

Anneal 357 MAX brass (just a tad of discoloration is fine)

Size it in a regular sizer then lube it & size it in a Rem.222 sizer to the shoulder of the die (case length is important & a bit short is fine).

I use 4 grs. of Clays powder

Seat a card ( I use my lee trimmer holder & a sharpened & notched 357 case to cut cards from cereal boxes)tamp it down snug .

Now I use either #9 or 10 shot as it`ll be used primarily for noleggs , but bigger is fine also , but patterns will be sparser but each pellet will hold more kenetic energy(kill farther) I won`t say to mix #4 in for pest controll.

Let me add this , if ya wanna play ya don`t have to spend bigg$$ on 25-50# of shot . Go to Wally world & grab a box of cheap # 8 or 9s if they have em & ya got yaself enuff for a bunch of play time !!!

Add ya shot load shake it down to where it`s 1/16 below the mouth & seat another card snugly .(you`ll have to judge this accordingly)

Now run em up into the 222 die & place a little roll on the mouth to hold the card (no we`re not finished) with a bit of brass showing above the card (important)

Now we have a round ready for sealing & here`s what I use ,Waterproof Carpenters Glue from Elmer`s , put enuff in to completely cover the card & adhere to the sides , let it completely dry (24hrs.is best) or it`ll smear a little down the barrel.
This method has been used by me in the Seven Creeks Swamp of the Waccamaw River for quite a few yrs. , it stays dry (when dropped in the boat) it does`nt jump the crimp (that`s why I roll & seal) & tie up the cyl like I have had happen as well as busted capsules from factory stuff & delivers almost twice the payload of the capsules.

Have fun, be safe !!

Old May 27, 2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Rifleman1776

I carried my Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. on my farm. First two rounds up were shot capsules I loaded myself. They had #7 1/2 shot in them. The patterns were dognut shaped. So, I always aimed at the center of the body of the snake and usually would hit in head and lower down. It was effective snake medicine.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:15 PM   #7
PawPaw

I've been rolling my own shot loads for several years. I use .44 magnum brass and #11 shot. About 4 grains of Unique (if my memory serves) and card wads top and bottom, like GP100man does. Instead of Elmer's glue, I drip candle wax on the top card.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 28, 2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Edward429451

To answer the question, I get 102 grains total weight on a 38 shot cap filled with #8s, and 141 grains with the 44 capsule. I hardly use the 38s anymore because I usually carry a 44 in the field. Indeed, one must aim to the side a little, lol.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Crankylove

I use 30-30 brass to make them for my .41 Mag.

Takes a little work on the rim (have to reduce thickness and width a bit), but the size of the larger case just barely lets me fit the required (by Fish and Game) 1/2 ounce of shot to be legal for grouse during the elk/deer hunts.
Old May 31, 2012, 05:06 AM   #10
warningshot

Don't know how they work on snakes...but I can confirm multiple strikes on slow mice, fast rats and an colorful assortment of large flying insects.