The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old January 12, 2012, 07:18 PM   #1
attila787

DVOR (opticsplanet) purchase experience

I purchased compact acog from DVOR a members only club supposedly providing exclusive deals.

Transaction went smooth, but upon receiving the package and inspecting the scope I noticed that it was missing two mounting screws, furthermore it was clearly a used item. It had marks/scratches all over the adjustment knobs and minor scratches on the bottom of the scope.

I called DVOR and they insured me that it was not a used item, but that it was defective because of the missing mounting screws. Even, though evidence showed it clearly was not a brand new in the box item as they indicated. I had to send the scope back to dvor expecting them to just simply exchange it for another, but they would not do that and instead they are supposed to be refunding my money back. The refund takes 2 to 10 business days .

So if you buy from DVOR make sure you inspect the item carefully because it may not be new in the box as they describe it to be.
Old January 13, 2012, 02:17 PM   #2
SandroM

Hey attila787,

My name is Alessandro and I'm part of the team here at Dvor.com. By looking through recent returns, I'm 99% sure I found your order.

I can assure you 100% that you did not get a used ACOG from us. Not only do we not accept returns of used items, I looked through return records for that particular item, along with recent purchase orders and you were sent an item that we got directly from the manufacturer. When we got your scope return, we sent it right back to the manufacturer as "received defective."

According to the records we have here, you asked for an exchange and we sent you one - according to UPS it arrived on 1/6. Did you not receive it? If you didn't, please send us an email at [email protected].

We do not ship used items, and clearly mark any factory demo, open box or refurbished items as such when we sell them. Manufacture defects do happen from time to time, and I'm sorry you had to go through this ordeal in order to get your scope.

If you have any other issues, feel free to shoot me a PM or email us at [email protected].

Alessandro M.
Dvor.com
Old January 14, 2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

As a reminder: Future posts in this thread will strictly be from direct experience with the business. You have a postitive or negative experience? Fine. Post it here while sticking to the facts. You haven't but want to post advice? Take it to PM or email.

This is the only pre-warning...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 14, 2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Bailey Boat

MY one and only experience with OpticsPlanet was also less than stellar. I ordered 4 items, 2 of 1 color and 2 of another color. I placed this order over the phone with a sales associate.

When the order arrived all 4 items were the same color!!! Call customer service and am told to return 2 of the items. Return 2 of the items and then receive an email telling me that they don't take "partial" returns. Call customer service and try to explain the situation, rep says they understand and will ship the correct color. Items arrive and they are the same color as before, if fact the SAME items as one had a scratch that I recognized!!!! Call customer service and all I get is BS about returning items that are "damaged". The scratch was on the item when I received it!!!! But I can't seem to get that across to the rep, she just won't listen, or won't comprehend, whatever.

To cut this short, I spent roughly 25.00-30.00 in return shipping on 40.00 worth of merchandise. I finally gave up and returned everything and went to West Marine and got my items. Needless to say OpticsPlanet is NOT on my list of favorite vendors.......
Old January 14, 2012, 08:03 AM   #5
ohen cepel

Myself and my brother both have tried to order from them several times, only to find out that NOTHING we ordered was in stock. So, it all went on back order. Since we both ordered items in preparation for deployment waiting weeks/months was not an option for us.

Seems that they list the world for sale but don't have much in stock. After that, I wrote them off myself.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old January 18, 2012, 10:22 PM   #6
attila787

SandroM (Alessandro M),

We are going to have to "agree to disagree" because I definitely received a used acog. Even your representative expressed that returned items can sometimes fall thru the cracks and be re-shelved and sent out again as a new product. While I appreciate you coming on here as the company representative, I invite your inspection to see if you can obtain the product I sent back so that you can see for yourself that it was a used product.

Seems to me that there are some quality control issues going on at DVOR. A quick google search shows other people's frustrations. As of now I called DVOR and asked them just to send me another of the same product instead of giving me store credit. It was just shipped today and when I receive it I will post another update.
Old February 4, 2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Ruthless4christ

I just want to say for the record I LOVE Dvor. I just started using them 4 weeks ago. I have so far ordered a maxpedition fatboy , and a trijicon night sight set for an ak-47I am building. Both items shipped relatively quick and the items were brand new. I am not doubting the previous poster on his negative experience, because I was not here, but my order came through just fine. I am now ordering a trijicon ghost ring Remington 870 sight set for 80 bucks, and I expect it to be the same type of experience as my last. Just sayin. The company is worth the free membership. It’s basically like WOOT for outdoor /shooter products, and most times significant savings are involved.
Old February 7, 2012, 01:01 PM   #8
jeffwear

Dvor A+

I'm new to the board, but noticed the Dvor post. I have been using them for about 3 months now and have had excellent customer service, shipping and products arrived as advertised and at a great price. I would recommend Dvor.
Old February 7, 2012, 08:03 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I just went and checked out their site. If you look at the brands they list, they carry about everything. So, I signed up.

Yeah, right.

Once you're a member, the list of brands they actually carry is much, MUCH shorter. Not a nice game.

For instance, under "S" they list 48 (FORTY EIGHT!) companies if you're not signed in as a member. Sign in and they list THREE. Yeah, 3.

In fact, A-Z TOTAL is less than HALF of the companies listed JUST under "S" they show non-members trying to get them to sign up.
Old February 9, 2012, 11:05 AM   #10
SandroM

Peetzakilla,

I would PM you, but I think anyone else visiting this thread might have the same question you do. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM and we'll discuss.

When you aren't logged in, it shows all brands and categories that are listed on Dvor at any time. Because of the way Dvor works, not all brands are available for sale at any given moment. If you click on any of those brands, it'll show you if there is something available now, something that was available recently, or nothing at all. We put that system in so that if you want to see what brands we carry, you can.

Once logged in, the brands page only shows what's available right now (so as to be easier to shop from.) If you aren't logged in, you can't buy anything - so our thought is that you are using it to see what Dvor is and just showing you what's on sale today doesn't give you a really accurate representation. The Dvor model is really different for the demographic we're going after - there are still tons of people who don't entirely understand it and think we're just OpticsPlanet.com with deals. We're not.

If there's something you saw when you signed up, or just something in general you want that fits with theme of the site, head to the contact form and fill out a suggestion saying you want it. If we can get it, we'll sell it - I know the event guys make a number of sales each week just based off customer requests.

Thanks for some of the kind words in this thread, I'll be sure to pass them on to the rest of the team!

Alessandro M.
Dvor.com
Old February 16, 2012, 03:49 PM   #11
CML76

Hi guys! Long time lurker....first time poster. Had to chime in on this thread. I just ordered a Zeiss scope from opticsplanet last week. Received it last Friday and on inspection it appeared to have been mounted previously. Scuff on bottom of scope toward front bell and mark on side of main tube. Funny they dont restock used scopes but this seems to be two that have surfaced in a short amount of time...with more we probably will never know about. Now I have to wait for a replacement that might take up to 10 days! I needed the scope by this Sat Think I am just going to ask for a refund and take my 1000 dollars else where if its not on my door step by tomorrow night.....should be possible since I only live about 3 hrs south of them in Springfield IL.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:26 AM   #12
Ronbo1

I have ordered some holsters, rifle scopes and lasers sights, lead casting furnace, from Optics planet over a 10 year period, nothing high dollar but have never had a problem at all so far.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves

Abraham Lincoln
Old May 27, 2012, 06:47 PM   #13
oldwarrior

Dvor purchase experience.

On 5-11-2012 I purchased a Steiner 5-25x56 riflescope from dvor. The scope I received was used, the box it arrived in was damaged and there was not a manual or paperwork, also the vertical elevation did not work correctly. I contacted dvor and they refused to provide me with any assistance, they also refused to replace the scope they had sent me or to refund my money.

To my astonishment the man I was in contact with turned out to be Steven Ledin the owner of dvor/opticsplanet.

Why someone would use a business plan that dictates screwing the customer is simply beyond my ability to grasp. But due to this incident I will never do business with dvor/opticsplanet again.

I am not a big fan of being a victim of a bait and switch scam.

Needless to say I am not a happy man.
Old May 6, 2014, 02:28 PM   #14
edorgon

I too got used defective goods

Ordered a Morphic watch from them. Came in a box, no instructions, no padding, etc. Plus, stopwatch part of it didn't work. Clearly a used --- and broken --- item. Called them right sway. Won't give me a refund. Only a credit of $179. This place is a ripoff. Stay away.
Old May 6, 2014, 04:01 PM   #15
spacemanspiff

I ordered my Trijicon Tripower optic from Opticsplanet a year ago. I got what I feel was a good deal, fast shipping, and am happy with my purchase.
FYI, I chose Opticsplanet, not as a first choice, but because Amazon would not ship this optic to me in Alaska. Apparently when it comes to things like optics, cameras, and some electronic devices, Amazon (and some of their sellers) choose not to expose the products they sell to potential damages that occur during shipping all the way up here to the Last Frontier.