The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 23, 2012, 01:58 PM   #1
NUKE HUNTER

looking for advice

a week or so ago i wanted to sell some reloaded 45 colt ammo. i forgot to mention that it was professionally made. when i bought them i didnt think twice about stuff like my gun exploding, but i do understand that people should be cautious.i was shooting them in my freedom arms .454 and they shot great but i hated to clean lead and i dont want them anymore. my question would be, do i pull 840 rounds and shoot the primers then sell the brass? what do you guys think? and what should i use?
Old May 23, 2012, 03:37 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You could sell them as what they are and state that they are as-is and no guarantees. I would not hide that you had leading problems with them. That won't get you a good price for them, though.

Another thing you can do is see if your gun can't be made to lead less. The FA should be very well-made, but you can go through the process of slugging the bore and the chambers just to be sure all's well and you have no constriction where the barrel screws into the frame and that the chamber throats are all at least half a thousandth bigger than the bore. I expect the factory would fix any problems free. Sometimes just using a bore mop and polishing with Flitz will help, but you want to be careful not to touch the crown with your cleaning rod when doing this, so a bore guid made from the neck and shoulder of a brass rifle case is a good idea here.

Another problem may be an inadequate lubricant on the bullets. Since they reach full diameter before disappearing in the case, you can dip them in Lee Tumble lube up to the case mouth and let it dry. That may help.

For cleaning, I've had good luck with Wipe-Out's product called No-Lead. You apply it and let it sit and it reacts with the lead to turn it into a kind of black crust that patches out easily.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old May 23, 2012, 04:15 PM   #3
g.willikers

If you do decide to pull the bullets, don't waste the primers.
Clean, primered brass is desirable and worth more.
The NO LEAD sounds good.
Wonder if it's just a gel form of Hydrogen Peroxide.
The ordinary household version dissolves lead pretty good.
Stronger hardware store version does it even better.

Last edited by g.willikers; May 23, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I don't know what the chemistry is. Peroxide accelerates about any etching process. We used to use it with sulfuric acid to better etch circuit boards. The No-lead may have some, as the kit I got came in two bottles I had to mix. I spoke to them and they said it's because the pre-mixed compound can lose potency during shipping. They felt it should be stable after it gets to your home, but I've kept the two separate and mix only as-need.

A lot of folks use vinegar and peroxide to attack lead in a bore and turn it into lead acetate, which is water-soluble, but that can etch steel, too, and can destroy bluing. The No-lead is safe and doesn't seem to bother anything but the lead. I'd have to look up black lead compounds to try to guess what they're using.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old May 23, 2012, 08:20 PM   #5
NUKE HUNTER

thanks for the response guys.

unclenick, i dont know if it was a leading problem, but for me i didnt like to see any lead at all. i have the lewis kit, which works fine, but i just dont want to be bothered.i now have enough .454 brass and use copper bullets for that gun. as far as the vinager and other stuff, i dont want to risk the chance of etching the steel.

g. willikers, thanks for that info too, i might just do that.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Marco Califo