The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 12, 2012, 01:08 PM   #1
bikerbill

Winchester .22mag for SD

I've heard Winchester is joining the SD .22Mag bandwagon, along with Speer and Hornady, and offering a round expressly designed for defensive use ...anybody seen it, tried it, know if it exists? I have the Horndy Critical Defense round in my NAA Pug, but always looking for something better ...
Old May 12, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Al Den

Biker;
I hadn't heard this. Darnit, I just bought some of the Hornady thinkin' it must be good for my 4" NAA Mini-Master. It is twice the price of othe .22 Mag.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Clifford L. Hughes

bikker bill:

I'm sure that a .22 magnum will kill an intruder, but how quick. It does little good to kill an intruder if he shoots you before he dies. Suggest that you get a caliber that is capable of producing one shot stopping.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old May 13, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
SIGSHR

Without reigniting the Caliber Wars, not my first choice either but beats fists, feet and foul language. Although a good choice for a last ditch backup or deep concealment firearms.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:12 PM   #5
drail

If you can consistently make a head shot on demand they'll work just fine. Hit them somewhere non vital and they'll probably be really PO'd and won't stop whatever they were doing that made you decide to shoot them. Guaranteed one shot stops (with a handgun) are a myth. If someone drops with one shot it has a lot more to do with where they are hit than what they were hit with.