The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 12, 2012, 09:06 PM   #1
DHart

Need recommendations on best-stocked gun shops in South Dakota...

Though I'm living/traveling on the road most of the time - around the country - I'm a new resident of South Dakota and will be in Sioux Falls and Rapid City in the next few weeks for a short time.

I'm planning to pick up a couple of handguns and perhaps a 300 BLK upper while in SD and, to save me some time, would like some recommendations on shops which have the best inventory of the latest firearms.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 12, 2012, 10:00 PM   #2
idek

I don't know about small privately owned shops, but Rapid has a Cabelas and a Scheels (they're about a mile or two apart on opposite sides of I-90. Cabelas will have a larger selection. Scheels has better prices.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:07 PM   #3
DHart

Idek... Thanks for that... I will put them on my list.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Mike38

About 15 years ago I went with a guy to South Dakota to shoot prairie dogs in the Rosebud Indian Reservation. In or very near the Reservation, there is a drug store / grocery store that has a gun shop in the basement. Very nice place. Sorry but I can’t remember the town or the name of the drug store, but Google might help.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Shep

First Stop Guns on Main St. in Rapid has an excellent selection and knowledgeable people.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:19 PM   #6
DHart

Shep... thanks, First Stop is on my list.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:38 PM   #7
CS86

In Rapid City:

First Stop would be a good one. Scheels and Cabelas also carry a nice selection. Then Runnings, on LaCross, just opened and they are starting to carry a selection, just not as many as the others places mentioned. I think Runnings selection will be increasing.

I had someone recommend a pawn shop I think by the Clock Tower on the west side of town. I think it was 1st national pawn, but I would have to dig through some papers to find what they mentioned. That might be a last stop if you have time. I've never been there.