The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 12, 2012, 01:50 PM   #1
gunluver

NOW I understand

At first I started my 1911 journey with a Kimber Team Match .45. Bought it used, was roughed up a little, but shot very well. Had a brain fart and sold it one day thinking I didn't like the 1911 platform ......primarily because I hated breaking it down to clean as compared to the "easier" Glocks, etc. Fast forward a few years and the realization that the 1911 is the platform that I prefer and shoot best. I now currently own 4...a pair of Dan Wesson Guardians (9mm and .45), a STI Spartan 9mm, and a GSG 1911-.22. I have been strongly considering a higher end 1911 like a Brown, Wilson, or Baer but haven't been able to bring myself to spend the money. I mean, do you really get that much more spending the extra 1-2K over my Wesson's?

Well, I was at the range this morning shooting my Guardian pair and having a very nice range session. No failures, nice small groups, and perfect weather. A gentleman shows up that I have shot with before at the range. After he is out and targets set up, I ask him if he brought his Sigs today to shoot. He replies with a "no," and a big smile on his face. "look what I just picked up," he says....
Out comes a brand spankin new Wilson Combat CQB with turnbull(sp?) blue finish. He lets me handle and dry fire his new Wilson (with snap caps). Wow! It's like the slide just floats on ball bearings or something. Fit and finish is spectacular. He lets me shoot 5 rounds. Yep...darn thing can shoot. And it shoots smooth....that's the only way I can describe it.

Now don't get me wrong. I like my Dan Wessons, they are not going anywhere. They are also smooth shooters, accurate, with excellent fit and finish. But the Wilson was ..... a step above.

Now I understand what people on this forum say all the time. While the extra 1-2K only brings a very small return.....It IS a return you can feel. While I still may have a hard time spending that kind of money, I now understand exactly what that extra money buys.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:54 PM   #2
zippy13

Ahhh... now, you understand, some never do.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
g.willikers

1911s really don't need much work to clean.
They are a very open design and most things, especially in the frame, are easily cleaned without taking them apart.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
gunluver

Quote:
1911s really don't need much work to clean.
They are a very open design and most things, especially in the frame, are easily cleaned without taking them apart.

I have since overcome my adversion to cleaning a 1911. I now find it therapeutic
Old May 12, 2012, 02:32 PM   #5
Therealkoop

Im the same way. Ive been using M&P 9mm's for a while now for competition and havnt touched my 1911 for months. Last week I used it and let a friend use my M&P and remembered why I love 1911's.

That short trigger and great accuracy just puts the shots where they need to go everytime. Shots hat I thought I might have pulled a little prove to continuously hit the mark.

Id like to step it up, but x2 on Dan Wesson, great guns.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Martowski

I've sometimes thought of selling a few pistols and picking up a Les Baer, but have never been able to justify getting rid of 4 to buy 1. May someday.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:42 AM   #7
warbirdlover

Speaking of 1911's, where does a Colt Gold Cup fit in the big scheme of things? (What's the best to the worst 1911?).... My brother has one and I drool every time I get to handle it.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:34 AM   #8
MLeake

Gold Cups are nice, but are usually set up with pretty light triggers and light recoil springs - they were designed for competition, with light target loads in mind.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Brian48

The GC was at one time Colt's flagship before the custom shop came along. They're really nce guns, but don't compare to the top of the line Wilsons, Les Baers, etc.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Rj1972

Where do the nighthawk custom ones come in? I see plenty of commercials, but I don't see much reference to them on the boards so I've always been curious.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11
loose_holster_dan

yeah, i have the gold cup. more to my liking than the wilson, since i would never use a 1911 for self defense (not enough rounds for me). my buddy does have a couple of wilsons tho. VERY nice guns. VERY easy to be accurate.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 14, 2012, 02:14 PM   #12
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Where do the nighthawk custom ones come in? I see plenty of commercials, but I don't see much reference to them on the boards so I've always been curious.
Towards the very top of the pile.