The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 12, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
JeffSSig

Your AR trigger

Tell about your AR trigger.

What one you use?

One you worked on.

Did it help your groups?
Old May 13, 2012, 05:52 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

My preferred AR trigger is a two stage from ArmaLite. They have two versions, the tactical two stage with a 5lb break and a trace of creep. Second is the NM version, this trigger has a straight bow and is has 4.5lb break with no creep.

Both these have a adjustable spring position that changes break weight in three .5lb increments. The first stage weight is controlled by the trigger return spring and the second stage weight by the secondary disco spring position. Hammer hook controls how much creep you have.

ArmaLite has a great article on tuning this trigger in the ArmaLite knowledge base.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Vt.birdhunter

My Bushmaster Carbon 15 came with a 7.5lb trigger on a 3.9lb rifle. It could be shot well, but it took more skill to steady such a light rifle with such a heavy trigger.

Threw in a Jard adjustable trigger module, dropping trigger pull to around 2.5lbs.
Shoots like a dream now. The rifle was always capable of 1MOA accuracy, but now its much easier to consistently achieve. Even novice friends have printed some nice bug-holes with her.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:58 AM   #4
UtopiaTexasG19

I have the Geissele 2 stage SSA on my AR and love it. I had no idea how rough the pull was on my original trigger until I replaced it with the Geissele which is very smooth and breaks with a crisp action. My trigger finger was broken years ago in a car accident and pulls at a slightly crooked angle when moved and the Geissele trigger improved my shooting patterns by roughly 25-30 percent. I highly recommend Geissele and the additional money spent in my case was well worth the upgrade to my AR.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:00 AM   #5
RT

Geisselle SSA
Old May 13, 2012, 10:29 AM   #6
eldorendo

I've never tried a Geisselle, but it sure does come highly-recommended. I do use and like JP trigger/hammer combos. Also used the RRA two-stage NM trigger. It lilke it o.k., but not nearly as much as the JP.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Jimro

Geisselle SSA.

Change of trigger along with front/rear sights and handloaded ammo got me 43 more points and 5 more X's at my last high power match. I still suck though, my average was 82.5% which doesn't even qualify for sharpshooter.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Jimro; May 16, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:24 PM   #8
wingman

Geissele SSA-E immediate improvement in groups, now look forward to range time with my AR.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:38 PM   #9
chadio

CMC part number 91503

- single stage
- flat trigger
- 3.5 lb.
- std. size pins

Modular, drop - in trigger...

No complaints, at all. Absolutely worth the money and effort to install. Hands down, (aftermarket trigger) best improvement to my AR, nothing against other AR triggers. I'm sure there are others who make a stellar AR trigger.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Tim R

My match AR "A" gun has a Geissele 2 stage and love it.

My match AR "B" gun has a RRA 2 stage tuned by White Oak which is not bad either.
Old May 14, 2012, 02:13 PM   #11
RC20

I have the RRA two stage match chrome

Its the best low cost option. My brother replaced his Giesele when he tried minte.

Really good trigger unless maybe shooting match
Old May 15, 2012, 08:35 PM   #12
DeadCenter

I have 3 AR's with different triggers. I have a standard single stage trigger that was a long and gritty pull. I performed the .50 cent AR trigger job (google it if interested) along with some polishing and it was a big improvement. I have a RRA 2 stage trigger, for the price I think this is a nice trigger, I have this in a Palmetto lower I built for my Noveske Afgan. In my WOA varmint AR I have a Geisselle SSA, I have not used any other trigger in this gun, but if is very accurate and the trigger break is crisp and clean although just a bit heavy. I may try a different spring and try to reduce the pull a tad.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:46 AM   #13
Fargazer

I use a Giessele 3-gun SD trigger and love it. That being said, it's much more suited to use with my 16" upper and red dot than it is for my 24" bull barrel upper. I'm now building a dedicated lower for the 24" upper and will incorporate a Giessele 2 stage trigger in it - not sure if I'll pick the Combat or Enhanced version.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:40 AM   #14
wingman

Quote:
I'm now building a dedicated lower for the 24" upper and will incorporate a Giessele 2 stage trigger in it - not sure if I'll pick the Combat or Enhanced version.

Easy decision-SSA-E you won't be sorry, simply a super target trigger.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:46 AM   #15
Skadoosh

Wilson Combat single-stage TR-TTU in my carbine....and a Wilson Combat 2-stage TR-TTU-M2 in my A4.
Old May 16, 2012, 06:17 PM   #16
greentick

geisselle SSA

a beautiful thing after a GI trigger

easy install
Old May 16, 2012, 06:44 PM   #17
dgludwig

RRA National Match two-stage-no doubt it has tightened my groups. A lot.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:34 PM   #18
JeffSSig

I am rather shocked no one has stated anything about Timney triggers.

There has been some NICE triggers listed so far and it seems a good trigger will help groups on paper.

Ill post my views on Timney, Geissele, Rock River, DPMS, PSA, Stag, and JP soon. As I own them all and I think I may have some infp that might shock some. (grab line)
Old May 16, 2012, 08:57 PM   #19
bigalshootmupper

I have a Jewell in my DPMS LR-308 and it is great. The stock trigger was one of worst triggers I have ever shot. The Jewell is a night and day difference. It can be adjusted all kind of ways and I have it not too light, but way crisp. I highly recommend it, although a little hard to get it set up right, it is one of the best.
Old May 16, 2012, 09:52 PM   #20
dvdcrr

Ive got a geissele (sp?) ssa-e. Its not a super clean match trigger but plenty good for semi auto shooting or hunting. I think its getting better with use. I also have a standard parts kit trigger from stag that I tried to clean up a little. Most would think it horrible but the sticky creep always slips a certain amount at which point you are ready for a sweet break with about a pound more pull. Once you shoot it awhile you really like it. Super predictable.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:08 PM   #21
pturner67

geissele...smooth as butter
Old May 18, 2012, 09:08 PM   #22
zulthor

SSA-E... great trigger feel but what I like even better is that it has a hard primer strike so you can use it with 5.45 uppers and such.
Old May 18, 2012, 09:53 PM   #23
blacksky

Geissele Super 3 Gun...

Geissele Super 3 Gun... Tighter groupings, more control, improved accuracy at longer distance, ringing steel out to 800 yards consistantly... Worth every penny of $240

http://geissele.com/super3gun.aspx
Old May 18, 2012, 10:14 PM   #24
arizona98tj

I had Bill Springfield do my AR's trigger. Love it....the best $39 I've spent since buying my AR.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:37 PM   #25
RC20

I would not let BS touch a rock, let alone a trigger.

I sent one out to him, came back hashed up (would not let the rear pin slide through). Had to file a metal tit off to get it to do so.

Then the gun went into full auto.

Got a RRA Two Stage Chrome match in the ATH and never looked back.

For another 50 bucks or so you get a real trigger, with a complete set of directions on how to test it to ensure its going to work as intended and to stop if it does not do what it is supposed to at each step.

That vs a hack job. Its obvious he runs them through on a chop and hack basis. It may come out ok or it may be hosed. Not worth it.