The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1
etcher1

Starting to reload after 27+ years...

Hi all,
It's been about 27 years since I reloaded anything. So I am trying to get started again. I been lurking around the forum for a little while and got some great ideas how to set my stuff up.

I made a tumbler after looking at other diy projects, it works fairly well.

Here's the end result, The brass is 20+years old.

Hopefully I will learn a lot and be able to bring other things to the table.

Well after watching numerous videos and reading post, I have started to acquire some reloading manuals.

I also have a chrony beta ordered and should show up in a day or two. Happen to go through Longview TX and picked up a beam scale (RCBS 505).

Also working on my reloading bench, will have some photos when set up.
While digging around all the stuff I had stuffed away I found some 44 215 gr bullets. I will need some help on loading these up, but that will be another post.

After 27 years I just didn't recall so many different powders.
This is a great forum, I hope y'all can keep me straighten out.
Old May 8, 2012, 08:23 PM   #2
603Country

Welcome back to reloading. After reading your post, I thought back about 27ish years to what I was using back then versus what I'm using now. I have the same Rockchucker press and Lyman 55 powder measure and RCBS primer seater and 1010 powder scale. My case trimmer is RCBS, but not the original one I had back then. The only thing that's really different for me is that the 1010 scale and the Lyman 55 have been retired by my acquisition of a Lyman 1200 that throws the charge, weighs the charge, trickles as needed, and does it automatically. Love that thing. Fancier bullets are available now, with plastic tips, and you now have about a zillion powder choices. RCBS is still painted green. Again...welcome back.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:45 PM   #3
CherokeeT

Welcome back to reloading. About the only press I have now that I did not have 30 years ago is the Dillon 650. The RCBS and CH presses gets lots of use but the Dillon is for volume. Lots of good powders out there and good components. Ask questions as you get back into it..........
Old May 9, 2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Cornbread

Like you I started reloading in late 70s . Hit and miss for years while working and raising family now retired and really enjoy it. Glad to see you back at it . It will all start coming back. I even had 20 year old powder and primers with $1.00 price tag.. It looked good, smelled good and burnt good. You will be wanting new guns next !!!! Oh yea Welcome to the forum !!!
Old May 9, 2012, 08:05 AM   #5
rebs

Welcome to the site, its a great place for reloading info among other topics.
Same here I used to reload back in the 70's and then got away from it and now I am retired and back into it. Reload all winter in the warm basement and shoot all summer, lol.
Its a great hobby.

Last edited by rebs; May 9, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
dickttx

I started reloading in the late 60's and faded out probably about 1973. As said, other things like making a living, and lack of places to shoot got in the way.
I primarily piddled with rifles back then but did have a Colt 45 ACP, a Colt Mk IV, 357 mag, and a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt.
A couple of years ago I retired for the second time. First time was really bored for about 3 years, so I went back to work for about 5 more years. Second time I decided I was going to have something to do, so I pulled out all my guns and reloading equipment. I first realized that I did not have a 22 handgun, so I bought a S&W 617, 10 shot revolver and started trying to learn how to shoot. Several thousand rounds of that was really enjoyable. Started working on my centerfire pistols then, and getting things together to start reloading again. My old press was still as good as ever (C-H CHampion), however I was not satisfied with my Ohaus Duo-Measure. Didn't seem very consistent.
As a stab in the dark, I bought a Lee Pro Auto Disk. Immediately found that it really wouldn't work on the C-H because of the slant of the press.
Long story short, I have acquired a Lee Classic Turret with the Safety Prime and turrets for six sets of dies. (9mm, 38 Super, 357, 41, 45 ACP, and 45 Colt) Decided to stick to one powder (HP-38) instead of accumulating the couple of dozen like I had before.
I am now easily turning out all I want to shoot (about twice a week) at a very easy pace.
Really enjoying it.
Still can't shoot worth a darn though.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Huskerguy

Welcome back

I was out of it about the same length of time as well. Hauled my stuff through four moves and never had much time to get the stuff back out. A buddy in a former city and I did this together and then we had kids, work and all of those things in life just get in the way. Now I work in a small college and I needed something to do with my hands and mind and decided to get back into reloading. I am very glad I did. Still don't reload a lot but enough to make it interesting. Dug my stuff out after many years of hibernation and had totally forgotten what I had, it was fun learning all over again. The only problem is I could spend a lot of money getting updated on some things. Have fun and welcome to the forum.