The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 8, 2012, 01:20 AM   #51
Buzzcook

Quote:
But, as a "go to rifle", NOT counting SHTF situations, but as a truck gun, rural home defense gun, and outdoors rifle, would this 8 rounds of 30-06 and a reload be enough for every situation? Yes it's old, heavy, and only holds 8 rounds, but still.
Yes you'll be fine. Since we're not considering SHTF and other colorful novel situations two clips full will be fine.

The one exception is if the desire to plink becomes unbearable, then you'll need an ammo box.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:16 AM   #52
raftman

Quote:
But, as a "go to rifle", NOT counting SHTF situations, but as a truck gun, rural home defense gun, and outdoors rifle, would this 8 rounds of 30-06 and a reload be enough for every situation? Yes it's old, heavy, and only holds 8 rounds, but still...
I would 8 rounds would be just fine. Can't recall reading or hearing about too many instances in which something like an HD situation required one to fire more than 8 rounds. Doesn't mean it's never happened, but it seems like in the vast, vast majority of cases, 8 rounds would be perfectly adequate.

That said, I wouldn't choose a Garand for that purpose. A decent .308 semi-auto can do anything the Garand can, but in a smaller, lighter package without giving up reliability, ammo capacity, accuracy, or durability.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:49 AM   #53
Norrick

Make your shots count is how I see it. This holds true for all calibers but especially in scenarios where you give up capacity for extra power.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:55 AM   #54
insomni

Unless you're trying to fight off the mongolian horde, or put down suppressing fire by yourdelf, 8 rounds of 30-06 oughta sufice (provided you hit your target), i'd just have some clops ready to go.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:35 AM   #55
kozak6

The M1 Garand is really only a wall gun, and hence only suitable for low and mid rounds. If you don't want to risk getting something bad from the Mystery Box or if you are desperate, it's a fair choice.

Is it any good Pack-A-Punched? I've never bothered, to be honest.
Old May 9, 2012, 01:04 AM   #56
M1Rifle30-06

Quote:
The M1 Garand is really only a wall gun, and hence only suitable for low and mid rounds. If you don't want to risk getting something bad from the Mystery Box or if you are desperate, it's a fair choice.

Is it any good Pack-A-Punched? I've never bothered, to be honest.

Are you... talking about... Nazi Zombies?
Old May 9, 2012, 02:50 AM   #57
NWPilgrim

Since the OP specifically excluded SHTF (and we can therefore also exclude war), the Garand with 8 rds should be plenty to defend the homestead. It might be too much if you have close by neighbors. It is also a might hefty for toting around often but for confronting a rustler, looter, or meth head break-in it would be plenty.

On that note a lever action with 5-9 rds would also be plenty.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:20 AM   #58
Auto426

I think the popular saying is "you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight." That M1 Garand should be plenty if you can hit what your aiming at. It's also pretty quick on reloads and an extra en bloc clip is easy to carry.

Quote:
Are you... talking about... Nazi Zombies?
I'm pretty sure he is...

And in that case, Battlefield 1943 and Bad Company 2 were much more fun to use the Garand in. I favored bolt actions with bayonets in CoD:WaW.

/end thread veer
Old May 9, 2012, 06:06 AM   #59
Master Blaster 2

I think the OP should buy the M1-Carbine friom his Uncle. They you could have a bunch of 30rd mags and even convert it to full auto.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:30 AM   #60
M1Rifle30-06

Quote:
I think the OP should buy the M1-Carbine friom his Uncle. They you could have a bunch of 30rd mags and even convert it to full auto.
I'm actually picking it up this weekend!

As far as the full auto part...
Old May 9, 2012, 12:43 PM   #61
jimbob86

Quote:
The M1 Garand is really only a wall gun, and hence only suitable for low and mid rounds.

Care to define your terms and expound a bit on that?

Unless you are trying to lay down suppressive fire or having a contest to see how many rounds you can carry, I'm willing to bet that if you can't figure out how to accomplish any reasonable shooting task with an M-1 Garand, then you probably can't do it with anything else, either.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old May 9, 2012, 12:56 PM   #62
Ambishot

Quote:
I'm not worried about being overran at all. Actually, I'm not sure what situation I would need more than 8 rounds of 30-06.
^ I think you answered your question right here. ^

As for this:

Quote:
It's the constant barrage of people saying you should have more than 8 rounds cause of "Murphy's Law" and such that makes me wonder.
I'd need more information to clarify that this "constant barrage" is valid advice instead of trumped up SHTF paranoia or self egotism.

Yes, Murphy's law can come into play, but if you're proficient with your 8 shot M1...why are you worried about other people and their situations? Any gun can jam or seize up. Better advice would be to realistically assess your situation and plan accordingly.

Personally, I think you're fine.
Old May 9, 2012, 01:01 PM   #63
Ambishot

Quote:
They are referring to a video game, Jimbob.
Old May 9, 2012, 01:04 PM   #64
nate45

Always remember to use forceful voice commands and convey a serious attitude.

"I'll blow a hole in your face then go inside and sleep like a baby."

Clint doin' it right.
Old May 9, 2012, 01:20 PM   #65
rickyrick

Love that movie. He loads it pretty quick too.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:07 PM   #66
raftman

Looks like he may need to check the bore for obstructions.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:53 PM   #67
rickyrick

I noticed that too.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:00 PM   #68
Auto426

Quote:
He's referring to the video game Call of Duty: World at War, more specifically the Nazi Zombie game mode. The M1 Garand is one of the weapons featured in the game, and it only works well for the first few levels of that game mode.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:22 PM   #69
Auto426

Quote:
He's referring to the video game Call of Duty: World at War, more specifically the Nazi Zombie game mode. The M1 Garand is one of the weapons featured in the game, and it only works well for the first few levels of that game mode.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:24 PM   #70
Bartholomew Roberts

Personally, I'd be comfortable with a Garand for most defensive applications. I'd be less comfortable with the Garand's ability (or lack of it) to run well with anything other than 150gr FMJ since I would want to use premium defensive ammo that lessened problems with over-penetration.

If I was going to go that route, I'd probably want an adjustable gas plug and be willing to spend some cash testing said defensive ammo in the Garand first.

As far as how many rounds is enough, there are a lot of variables. We just discussed a pistol fight at 21 yards where 3 officers fired 81 rounds at the subject before stopping the fight. I can point to another fight where the officer (off duty and in plain clothes) fired 11 pistol rounds with 10 hits at a single subject inside 7yds before the fight ended. A Garand is going to be both more powerful and easier to make good hits with, so it is less likely to require that many rounds; but I think the people who said it would probably handle most situations; but not handle all have described it pretty well.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:45 PM   #71
spclPatrolGroup

The only way to know for sure is to shoot something 8 times then ask it if its had enough.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:28 PM   #72
rickyrick

I won't step in front of one.
Old May 9, 2012, 04:51 PM   #73
Chris_B

Quote:
Looks like he may need to check the bore for obstructions.
He'll also never be able to stack arms with that goofy swivel
Old May 9, 2012, 11:43 PM   #74
44 AMP
Staff

8 rounds of .30-06, and a reload in a couple seconds? Seems to me that ought to be enough for anything short of unsupported combat.

As an "ordinary" citizen, the popular fiction of laying down cover fire is trained into us by our entertainment media. It good for soldiers in combat, and police in certain situations, but for a mere citizen defending themselves? Hardly.

One can only legally shoot in "gravest extreme", and while there are situations where a high power rifle is not a mistake, spraying the countryside to keep the other guy's heads down is not something the law is going to look kindly on. And that is the only real world advantage to a larger magazine capacity.

Remember too that we are personally liable for each and every round we fire. And what they hit. It is a completely different situation from combat.

All the chest thumping and "mine has more than yours" doesn't change the fact that combat and personal defense are two different things.

I'd say the Garand and some spare clips would handle any likely situation, and most that are highly unlikely as well. Of course, that assumes that YOU do your part right, too.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:34 PM   #75
nate45

My answers have been rather flippant and fun filled so far in this thread, but I don't see where there should be any doubt. However, there is sometimes a disconnect between those who hunt and have killed big game(and other living things) and those who theorize about what bullets might do. For example I have a friend who is a SWAT team sniper and has never hunted. He is not against hunting, he just doesn't want to kill anything.

For my part, I just don't see how someone could have ever shot even just one, or two deer with a .30 caliber hunting bullet and then question whether or not eight would stop a human, or even several humans.

I use 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in my .308 barreled M1. First I made sure the powder burn rate was compatible to the M1, Varget is. Then I worked up a load that shot sub-MOA in my .308 700, 45 grains of Varget. It helped with logistics. I also have a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight that shoots 1 1/4-1 1/2" groups with the same load. The Ballistic Tip isn't the latest design, but they make good wounds and the polycarbonate tip resists deformation. I've killed quite a few deer with Ballistic Tips since the mid-80s and know they work. Nosler makes a 168 grain Ballistic Tip for those who have sniper/tactical rifles sighted in for 168 grain match bullets, if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Seems to me that ought to be enough for anything short of unsupported combat.
I've owned a semi Galil ARM and HK 91 in the past, but sold them for the large profit during the 1990s assault weapons craze. In the Army I had a M-16A1 and was at one time the team M60 gunner. I've fired full auto AKs, Galils, HKs, etc, etc. I can afford most anything I want gun wise and yet I'm happy with my M1. The reason being is that if I can't take out a likely threat with eight, or sixteen 150 grain Ballistic Tips, I probably can't take care of it with more. Plus M1s have a high cool and nostalgia factor, not to mention they by God work well.

I do own the AR and have 10 30 round magazines each loaded with 28 70 grain Speer semi spitzers ready to go for back up though. I know for a fact that each one of those projectiles will make a wound channel that is virtually indistinguishable from a 90-100 grain .243 bullet.

Again, I realize there are more advanced/modern rifles and projectiles available, but I feel well armed with the ones I have.