The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 8, 2012, 02:49 AM   #26
Noreaster

It sounds kinda silly and it may attract unwanted attention from the shop owner, but....

Go to the gun store and handled several firearms; glock, M&P, Sig, CZ, Ruger..... Then place the handgun on the desk top, look at an object on the wall and pick up the gun with one hand quickly and see if the sights are on target. Do this a couple of times strong hand only and then both hands. Next try the same drill but line up the sights on the object and then close your eyes for several seconds. Open your eyes and see if your still on target.

If your purchasing a quality firearm, (and you can for $600,) then the next step is to see if the gun fits your hand and stance, (we all have shoulder or back injuries hidden in there that effect our shooting stance.) After that just pick a caliber.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:07 AM   #27
Leejack

SP2022, spend the change on ammo.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:09 AM   #28
soapboxpreacher

First go shoot what you think you will like...then after you have shot them pick from what you shoot best. It is that simply. Once again, narrow your search down to a few...more the better to be honest...for I eliminated certain pistols I later shot and shot better than the group I narrowed it down to. I suggest this alot, go to your local shop see when they have a factory shoot event where you can try several without range fees or rental. I did this and shot a ton of 9mms.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:26 AM   #29
.357SIG

Look at the Walther PPQ. I got one from my wife for my Bday this year and absolutely love it! It is excellent for CCW, and it has become my primary CC piece now.

Quote:
But if anyone has any other recommendation on a good concealed carry of a different caliber. Just PM that way the thread doesn't get off topic of a good ccw 9mm.
I have seen many gunshot patients, worked and have been trained in trauma, and know some very fine trauma docs whose brains I was able to pick. There is really no noticable difference between the 9mm and the other service rounds, so I think you will do fine with the 9mm. Sorry it wasn't a PM.
Old May 8, 2012, 02:15 PM   #30
Inazone

Take the cost and availability of additional mags into consideration when setting your budget. My first 9mm was a Beretta PX4 subcompact, and besides the two mags included with it, Beretta was running an offer for two free mags with a PX4 purchase. That translated to $70+ I didn't have to spend on mags. In contrast, my latest purchase was a Steyr M9-A1, and until a couple days ago, I was unable to find anyone with mags in stock at all.

In any case, the PX4 is a bit on the chunky size for a subcompact, but mine has proven reliable and isn't picky about ammo.
Old May 8, 2012, 03:31 PM   #31
WVsig

Steyr Mags are in stock at at CDNN.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/steyr2.html
Old May 8, 2012, 04:37 PM   #32
MaxAbramson

Glock 17

I once had a Glock 17. It's a 9mm, and was a joy to shoot. There was just enough recoil to make you feel like you're shooting a real gun, but not so much that you couldn't comfortably put 100 or so rounds downrange without fatigue.

I can't remember ever getting a FTF or even a FTE. It's a little big on the concealment side, but you can pack plenty of rounds in that bad boy.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:53 PM   #33
sigarms228

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.best9mm.com/

Worst site ever!!!!!!

LOL.

Should be _http://www.IMObest9mmunder$600somyfavoritepistolsareonit.com
Old May 8, 2012, 05:20 PM   #34
JonathanZ

Since you were going to get a Glock 22 I'd say go ahead and stay with Glock. Instead of going with the full size 17, I'd go along with the crowd and say a Glock 19 since you want to carry it. I have one and it makes a great carry gun. I have a full size Sig which I love way more than the Glock, but the Sig is a little big and heavy to carry. The Glock isn't as much fun to shoot, but for what it is its great. Its both utter reliable and very durable as the Tenifer coating makes the slide incredibly resistant to wear.
Old May 8, 2012, 05:56 PM   #35
power5

I am about to pick up a .40 2022. Great prices on Buds. Can get a 9mm contrast sight version for $399.
That is my first choice due to price. I handled one today and its a great piece. Less top heavy than a Glock and the trigger feels great, even in DA.

Second choice is CZ75 P-01. My gun after that is an SR9c.
Old May 8, 2012, 06:08 PM   #36
vent51177

Another vote for a CZ PCR or P-01.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:06 AM   #37
peacefulgary

Quote:
I also want one that will be good for concealed carrying.

Old May 9, 2012, 02:56 PM   #38
lockinload

CZ P01 is my choice. By far the best 9mm I own or for that matter have shot. I love the gun. I have put the gun in a few friends hands at it is hard to get back.
Old May 9, 2012, 03:14 PM   #39
Erikbal

I also recommended the Ruger SR9C as well.