The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 5, 2012, 08:34 AM   #26
4V50 Gary
Staff

I agree with others that gun sales are up. I think the occupant of the Whine Haus has a lot to do with it. I also noticed that many folks who were neutral have been acquiring firearms. Guess they wanted something called personal protection.
Old May 5, 2012, 11:41 AM   #27
oneounceload

Quote:
they are nice guns in europe but in the field of handguns, nothing made since the 1930s really can compete with what ruger makes this week.
Now THAT'S funny right there - spoken like a true kool-aid drinker!....
Old May 5, 2012, 11:49 AM   #28
BIG P

I sure your not the only one that thinks like that.I own Rugers & smith's alike
But I do like & use my rugers more than the smith's.Cant all of us be die hard Smith fans.I find it strange that anyone would tie theyre self to any one product be it Ruger,smith, whatever.thats just Me.

Ruger mania,Dont know about that.
Old May 5, 2012, 12:05 PM   #29
Pahoo

So ??

Quote:
Many feel that Ruger has maintained it's quality while others have not

To date, everything about Ruger speaks to Quality, Value and Performance. Many "past-great" manufaturers have peaked and are struggling. Ruger has always been in it for the long-haul. However, I wouldn't refer to it as a mania and most are aware of the weak links in their product chain. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 5, 2012, 12:21 PM   #30
Sparks1957

Quote:
they are nice guns in europe but in the field of handguns, nothing made since the 1930s really can compete with what ruger makes this week
Not sure I'd go that far, but Ruger does make a reliable product at a reasonable price
Old May 5, 2012, 01:11 PM   #31
buck460XVR

Quote:
Ruger does make a reliable product at a reasonable price

This is the just of it. Ruger for the majority of their firearms, has never been known for pretty and for their fit and finish. But they do make well working firearms for the Average Joe and since there are so many Average Joes, they sell a lot of guns. The Ruger not being able to keep up with demands comes not only due to their loyal following, but because many other quality firearms have been missing from LGS shelves due to high demand also. Similar to the Stephan Stills song, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". I own Rugers and shoot them. They work and work well. None are exceptionally scarey accurate and none are breathtakingly beautiful, but all are very adequate for the tasks I ask of them. If they were stolen or lost in a fire, they would be easy to replace, and I would have no qualms replacing them with another Ruger. But, if money was not an issue, I would happily replace them with something else. While their quality has gone up, so have their prices. Many of their DA revolvers now have a MSRP higher than their S&W counterparts. Many quality rifle manufacturers now sell rifles for less monies than the Ruger M77 and they are much more accurate. Ruger also is one of the few major gun manufacturers that gives no warranty whatsoever with their new guns. You pays your monies, and you take your chances. As of now Ruger generally will stand behind their products, but one wonders if they aren't looking for a way out sometime in the future with their new non-warranty.

Again, Rugers are good guns for the money. But they are not that exceptional and in most cases, they are not special. Again, that's why there are so many out there. I'm not bashing Ruger, because I own Rugers. But I am realistic.
Old May 5, 2012, 01:24 PM   #32
Big Dog Dad

I wasn't bashing Ruger!

I own many Rugers, Glocks, and most of all vintage Smiths. I agree that Ruger makes a good quality product for a good price. To me, it just seems that all of a sudden, Ruger is garnering a tremendous amount of praise and addulation like they are the only firearm worth buying anymore. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems every forum I frequent, there is an amazing amount of glorification of Ruger.

-=BDD=-
Old May 5, 2012, 01:47 PM   #33
22-rimfire

Ruger Mania?

From a firearm ownership perspective, Ruger should be praised for producing a diversified list of firearms that are generally very functional, reasonably accurate, and maintain their price niche below the other "name" manufacturer's pricing.

I have purchased two Rugers this year. That is a record for me in one year. I generally prefer Smith's and Colts for revolvers and my favorites generally are not Rugers. With long guns, I have never favored Ruger products although I own the required 10/22 and Mini-14.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:21 PM   #34
johnwilliamson062

Ruger has excellent marketing. The whole thing, not just promotion. They actually listen to their customers and produce guns they request. Is there another firearms manufacturer where anyone in the world can go to their website and send a letter to the CEO so easily? Maybe he doesn't read them, but considering how they adapt to customer preference I bet he does.
Old May 5, 2012, 02:26 PM   #35
chadio

Over the years, I've had the chance to fire:

- Single Six
- 10/22
- SR22 rifle
- 22/45
- SR1911

Thoroughly enjoyed all of them. No 'mania' here, just good experiences. If I had unlimited income, it wouldn't be long before there were a few of them in my safe
Old May 5, 2012, 03:35 PM   #36
Manson

And I really, really want a single 10. Or is that off topic?
Old May 6, 2012, 03:13 AM   #37
Pond, James Pond

Personally, I find the vehement loathing some have for Glock far more puzzling than the praise others have for Ruger. They're all just guns...

In the case of Ruger, I wouldn't call it mania, I would call it enthusiasm.

I own two Rugers and one Glock as it happens.

The Redhawk has been flawless, but then has seen relatively few rounds.
My MK III has given me some issues (repeated FTEs), but I still feel it is a good gun and I hope it is a running in or ammo issue that I will resolve at some point. However, I believe that generally the MK I, II, III series are solid. They are also very prevalent, and they are also often the calibre people first start out on.

Perhaps there are the foundations of a healthy customer base in later choices: happy with Ruger .22, happier about chancing a Ruger 9mm....

Interestingly, critcise a Ruger and you are going to get far more hostility than if you critcise a Glock, IMO. Yet both do what it says on the tin...
The OP even felt the need to point out he was not bashing Ruger even though, IMO, nothing in the question pointed to any view of Rugers in themselves, just of people's attitude toward them...

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; May 6, 2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old May 6, 2012, 08:23 AM   #38
22-rimfire

One thing to remember, price does matter when you buy. But two years down the road, the purchase price has no relevance other than helping in establishing a value for resale. Which is why I suggest you purchase the guns you really want the first time around even if they cost more.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; May 6, 2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old May 6, 2012, 09:15 AM   #39
SKostas

Discalimer- I do not own a Ruger and have no plans to buy one.

That said, a friend used to work for them in the warranty/repair dept testing repaired/refurbished firearms before sending them back out. Real tough job

He acknowledgeds a bit of an exxtended wait time, but tells stories of people doing all kinds of things to their guns and Ruger still honoring their lifetime warranty. The wildest one was where a fellow lost his revolver in the woods, then found it all rusted and pitted out. Sent it in, and according to my friend, who is honest as the day is long, Ruger sent this fellow another revolver. Another good one involved a cylinder barrel mix-up the customer did, where the larger rounds were blowing steel out the barrel when fired. They replaced the barrel to match the cylinder.

Now, that's a warranty.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:14 PM   #40
Salmoneye

Quote:
Ruger still honoring their lifetime warranty.
Ruger has no warranty, expressed, or implied...

From Ruger's "FAQ" Pages:

Quote:
Why No Warranty Card Has Been Packed With Your New Ruger Firearm?
The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:24 PM   #41
HisDudeness

Interesting Salmoneye. I know places still exist where a handshake and a man's word commonly replace any written agreement. It seems that they may be more interested in producing firearms and taking care of their customers than in lawyering.

On another note, I've read that Ruger is retrofitting pre-transfer bar safety revolvers to the newer/safer design free of charge. May be worth looking into if you have one of the original designs.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:32 PM   #42
Salmoneye

IMNSHO, Ruger indeed cares more for their product than many manufacturers...I have seen them repair owner induced damage due to the owner's own negligence, free of charge...I must say that I also saw Colt do this back in the day, but I have had no dealings personally with them in decades...

As for the transfer bar, unconverted Single Actions seem to be garnering a higher price these days...

I know that Ruger USED to return the original parts with the converted gun, but I have heard 'rumors' of late that they are not returning the original parts...

I have even heard stories of some people removing the original guts when sending unconverted guns back, simply so that they do not have to worry about the original parts coming back to them...
Old May 6, 2012, 01:48 PM   #43
JimPage

That's why I'm not sending my .357 Blackhawk back again. I had it worked on once for sights being out of range (Shoots 8" high with rear sight cranked all the way down). They put the transfer bar mod in it. Ruins the smooth action. Makes the gun clunky. So I changed it back to original configuration but they didn't fix the sight problem.

I fear if I send it back, they will modify it again and keep the parts.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old May 6, 2012, 08:07 PM   #44
arcticap

If anyone wants to see some Ruger "enthusiasm", check out the live bidding for Ruger guns that goes on during some of the larger on line auctions. Some of the prices for the used models approach the prices of new ones, especially some of rifles that instantly go up up up up before the buyer's premium fee is even added in.
And not all of these folks are just average Joe's. Some are collectors who have a chance to inspect the guns before the bidding starts.
Some of them can probably be found hanging around the Ruger collector's forum, and they probably know more about the various Ruger models and their values than the average Joe's do. Some of it may truly be mania but they would at least claim that there's some logic behind it.

Last edited by arcticap; May 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 08:22 PM   #45
wayneinFL

Quote:
Folks are buying Ruger Handguns faster than the factory can turn them out. 454 Alaskans on Gunbroker , when listed , are $500 over MSRP. The 380 LCP was one of the most popular new guns offered in recent history. Almost every other manufacturer quickly turned out their ,"mimick." I

Actually, it was Ruger, S&W, and Taurus mimicking the lowly kel-tec 3AT.

As for Ruger's popularity, it's hard for me to get really excited about Ruger. I own several, but they're not a Smith and Wesson. There's some history to a Smith or Colt. I have a Brazilian contract Smith 1917 that has more history than any Ruger.
Old May 6, 2012, 08:47 PM   #46
checkmyswag

Hi, my name is "check" and I"m a rugerholic.

Actually I still like their rifles a lot, but have backed away from their handguns in favor of S&W.

Went I first re-entered the gun scene after a long layoff where uncle sam paid me to shoot his guns...I was deep into Rugers.

I thought...why would anyone buy anything other than a Ruger, so reliable and reasonably priced...

Well, second thoughts are usually best.

So I'm currently:

Ruger: rifles
S&W: pistols
Remington (edging towards Mossberg): shotguns

Now on to step 2.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:36 PM   #47
Eagleks

I haven't run into any Ruger mania, but sure seen a lot of S&W mania.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:40 AM   #48
22-rimfire

A little "mania" is a good thing because it's fun. It is no different than supporting your favorite college, NFL, or NBA team.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:39 PM   #49
Newton24b

really, until you see whole magazines devoted to the latest ruger handgun, see people with ruger logo flags on their cars/trucks/whatnot, you cant make the claim of ruger mania.

i dont beleive that the op here would call glock mania , a mania or even un reasonable based on some interpretations made here of other posts.

ive seen people spend 700 on a glock, and then buy the same gun a week later when glock changes the front sight color and calls it something else. then again i see that with alot of semi autos these days.
Old May 8, 2012, 07:43 AM   #50
johnbt

"Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms."

Who needs a written warranty when you have a history of fixing your customers' guns. A well earned reputation beats a piece of paper anyday.

The amazing thing about Ruger, at least to me, is how they made money from the beginning. They started in 1949 with $50k to build their .22 pistol and never borrowed in order to grow. They had enough cash flow to expand.