The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Beginner 1960

cast bullet bhn

Hello all,have some .357 125gr cast bullets bhn15,how fast or how slow canI push them without leading, shooting them thru a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel.

Does any one have a link to get info about the different velocitys high and low with different hardness.

One other thing my loading books differ about useing standered and mag primers with 2400. Do I need to use mag primers with 2400?

Thanks 4 ur time and trouble
Old May 4, 2012, 07:33 PM   #2
CherokeeT

1. 357 size & speed - depends on your barrel. Have you slugged your bore? If .357, they might be OK if you push them above mid-range level. If your bore is .358, then your bullets will probably lead at any speed, but you should try it to see. Fit is the most inportant aspect to prevent leading rather than hardness.
2. Don't have any links for you
3. I have always used standard CCI SP with 2400 powder.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:37 PM   #3
k4swb

It is going to depend on the individual gun. The only way to really know is to load some up and test. You MAY get leading at low velocities and once past that it stops for a while and then starts again at a higher velocity.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4
GP100man

Ya stand a good chance of good results if they have to be pushed thru the throats & bore , but it`s a trade off with lead lighter bullets have less surface area to grab rifling with & will skid farther as speed goes up .

15 bhn according to the exact alloy I`d say 1,100 fps would be tops in MY revolvers , but most light bullets are reserved for light plinking loads .
Old May 4, 2012, 08:01 PM   #5
GP100man

ooppss
Old May 4, 2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Beginner 1960

Was wanting to load them light,but have been reading that to light is as bad or worse than to hot. Thanks 4 the replies
Old May 4, 2012, 10:42 PM   #7
GP100man

Beginner1960

Think `bout what was said , fit is most important !

If ya got a hard bullet that fits & ya drive it slow that`s just wasting alloy that could be used for faster bullets that fit !!!

I`ve seen pure lead run thru a 45acp NO LEADING , but the bullet was fitted & had good lube on it , true it was`nt a hot load for the ole 1911 but I would`nt wanted to catch it with my hand either !!!!

If this does`nt make sense look at the time I posted it , Good night .
Old May 4, 2012, 10:56 PM   #8
black mamba

There is a formula for choosing the Brinell hardness of bullets based on pressure, not velocity.

BHN = Pressure (CUP) รท 1280

Probably more important than hardness is having bullets large enough to seal the forcing cones and bore to eliminate gas cutting as propellant gases try to push past the bullet. .001" to .002" over bore diameter are generally recommended.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:37 PM   #9
joneb

Quote:
depends on your barrel. Have you slugged your bore?
Keep in mind that in a revolver the diameter of the bullet that enters the barrel maybe determined by the size of the cylinder throats.
Old May 6, 2012, 06:59 AM   #10
straight-shooter

Slug the barrel to get your dimensions on the lands of the bullet. If you measure .001 or .002 less than your bullet diameter your good. If the bullet is smaller then expect leading.

Providing your bullet fits then next is the real test. If you get leading in the forcing area your too slow, leading in the barrel towards the muzzle then your too fast. Adjust your load accordingly and you'll have your sweet spot.

I agree, hardness of the bullet doesn't hardly mean nutz unless your shooting magnum loads.