The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2012, 06:24 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Kimber SS Target II

I finally dropped a deposit on a 1911 last night.
Kimber Stainless Target II in 9mm
Wasnt my first choice, but I think I could do a lot worse than a Kimber.
Is there any issue that I should look out for with this gun?
Parts interchangeable with all 1911's?
+P/nato round issue?
Do SS guns wear well over the long run?
Sorry to keep hitting you guys with all these questions. I always feel as if the dealer has a agenda if they know at all.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/cu...less-target-ii
Old May 4, 2012, 06:29 AM   #2
zincwarrior

Remember to replace the springs during the recommended replacement period. Thats the only thing I really hate about Kimber.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Rinspeed

Throw the mags that come with it in the garbage and learn how to check extractor tension.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:48 AM   #4
TacticalDefense1911

Just run the gun and see what issues it may have and tweak from there. You will have no issues with +P loads. 1911 parts with the Kimber are pretty much interchangable. Kimber does have a propriatary site cut so you need Kimber specific sights if you ever replace what you currently have on the gun. Buy yourself several good aftermarket magazines to replace the factory ones.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:37 AM   #5
pilpens

My kimber 1911 custom target II had extractor issues at start - added tension and filed the hooks to better grab cases. It took several tries to get the proper hook shape. Both fixes were easy.

At approx 2500 rounds, fail to lock open with metalform mags but continues to work fine with kimber mag. I think kimber uses a .45 slide stop which is OK with the supplied kimber mag. I believed that kimber has fixed this issue on newer pistols.

Watch out for finger prints on the barrel. Kimber barrel seems to rust easier than others on the outside. I think it is because of the tiny grooves on it that can hold sweat. keep the barrel oiled to prevent rust.

Mine is several years old, approx 8, and it still looks new. It is seldom in a holster.

+P ammo --- maybe OK but I have not shot +P intentionally. However, I have shot some hot 147 grain reloads when testing handloads. Had no issues but I do not recommend it. I use mine primarily as a range/target pistol so I try to stick near standard ammo strength.

I have several changes to the pistol now but only because of preference:
1. changed the firing pin stop to square edge.
2. changed plastic mainspring housing to S&A magwell housing.
3. changed to wood grips.

I like my kimber. I have been shooting it more the past 2 years. I shoots very well with remington 115 from walmart and my 147 reloads.

Last edited by pilpens; May 4, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:52 AM   #6
BoogieMan

I plan on firing 99.9% factory FMJ target rounds. But I will cycle some +P loads of JHP or other SD ammo to make sure it works proper. It will be on the bedside in the eve as SD/HD so I want to know it will work and hope I dont have to check.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:11 PM   #7
TacticalDefense1911

Test it for function and then start to upgrade some of the high stressed MIM parts as funds allow. I'd start with the slide stop, extractor and the hammer.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:31 PM   #8
rock185

BoogieMan, I have had more than one Target II 9MM, and a Target II in .38 Super. I may have just lucked out, but mine all ran 100% with any and all ammo I tried with no modifications or tweaking for reliability at all. I thought fit,finish, accuracy and overall quality was/is quite good, at least with the examples I owned. I have used NATO, +P and +P+ ammo in my Tgt. II 9mms without any issues whatsoever. My regular practice/plinking ammo is the Winchester 124 grain NATO ball. By the way, none of the dreaded MIM parts have broken or given any trouble. I have had quite a few 1911 type guns since the '60s. I have not changed parts much with the Kimbers ( barrel bushing, mainspring housing, trigger, grips, screws, bushings, recoil spring guide and plug,etc. ), but it's a regular 1911 type design, with the addition of the firing pin safety. Parts interchangability would not seem to be a problem to me. Stainless guns do wear well and are very easy/inexpensive to refinish if/when needed. I have other 1911s, and other 9MM type 1911s too. I consider Kimber one of the best production 1911s I have ever owned.
I agree, you could have done a LOT worse than a Kimber.

BTW, what was your first choice?
Old May 8, 2012, 08:38 AM   #9
BoogieMan

Quote:
BTW, what was your first choice?
Dan Wesson Pointman 9 would have been my first choice. I was also looking for the Sig and S&W 9mm 1911's. I never really considered Kimber even though that would have been my first choice prior to joining this forum. The Kimber just happened to pop up in one of the LGS's. Seeing as its the first 1911/9 that did I decided to drop a deposit. The only other full size all metal gun that I found was a Browning High Power. I cant find any fault with a BHP, I just like the looks and feel of the 1911 better. I still have the chance to reneg on the Kimber, but I havent found a better choice. $1500 was my high limit and the Kimber came in at $1050. That leaves a few bucks for mags and ammo. If I dont find a better choice by the end of work today I will be picking it up tonight.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:26 AM   #10
BoogieMan

I have read a lot of issues about the Kimber extractor issues. How many people have no issues? Is it just that people tend to post there issues more than likes? Is it only the external ejectors and thats why they changed?
Old May 20, 2012, 01:39 AM   #11
rock185

BoogieMan, I have owned my latest Target II for several years. I am still using the original extractor,with complete reliability and no issues whatsoever.

BtW, I recently took a chance and bought the only Dan Wesson product I have ever owned, a Pointman 9. I believe it is the nicest production 1911 I have ever experienced. Finely fitted, cleanly machined and no MIM parts. They are about $1500.00, but I can now see why. IMHO, they compare very favorably with the Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc. pistols I have used. The Target II 9MM is still a very nice gun though, and I have no plans to ever get rid of mine...

Last edited by rock185; May 21, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 09:28 PM   #12
BoogieMan

As a bit of a follow up. I have about 800 rds through the Kimber now. It will feed and eject anything I put in it. I never changed anything. I dont have a lot of pistol experience but this is by a very large margin the smoothest and most accurate semi auto I have shot. As they say, its butter
Old May 20, 2012, 10:02 PM   #13
LockedBreech

Kimber makes a very attractive pistol, throw some pics up if you don't mind.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | Rock Island GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP; 10/22 | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Remington 870 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 |1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30 | Walther PPS
Old May 21, 2012, 02:55 PM   #14
rock185

BoogieMan, glad to hear your Target II is working so well. Not suprised though. The Target II pistols I've had in 9MM and .38 Super just worked. I was considering the very similar Kimber Gold Match or Team Match, when I decided to take a chance on the DW...
Old May 21, 2012, 03:05 PM   #15
BoogieMan

Quote:
BoogieMan, glad to hear your Target II is working so well. Not suprised though. The Target II pistols I've had in 9MM and .38 Super just worked. I was considering the very similar Kimber Gold Match or Team Match, when I decided to take a chance on the DW...
As I said the DW Pointman would have been my first choice. I had no prior 1911 experience going into this, I just love the feel of the 1911 style. I have 3 LGS's in my local area and none of them could come up with a 9mm 1911. The closest thing I found was a Browning High Power. Also a great gun and I almost went for it. When I finaly saw the Kimber I wasnt waiting, the LGS didnt even have it in the case or out of the FedEx box for that matter.
I ended up very pleased with the Kimber, more so every time I shoot it.