The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

New gun!

My POS PT1911 will officially get benched as a carry gun whenever Taurus decides to send me my backored part, so I needed a new .45 Auto.

I think the P345 is very under rated and I got this one for $470+tax so it's about half the cost of a 1911 and undoubtedly more reliable.

I just got it home so I won't be able to report on how she fires till later this weekend.

Old May 4, 2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Budda

I had one.....never a problem with it...Great, underrated gun! Great choice!!
Old May 4, 2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Bird3897

Nice, heard nothing but good regarding reliability of those rugers.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

You can't go wrong with Ruger. Hope this serves you better than your last carry gun.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Shadi Khalil

"undoubtably more reliable"

Do you mean more reliable than the Taurus or 1911's in general? So, do you plan on carrying the beast or is it just a range gun? If you do plan on carrying it, what will you use and how will you carry it? Congrats on the new Ruger and let us know how it shoots.
Old May 6, 2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Super Sneaky Steve

I can't speak for all 1911's but my taurus has had enough problems that I don't trust it anymore. I plan to carry it with a Crossbreed holster. I have one for the PT and it carries well.

I got her to the range today and I kept grouping left. This is my 10th pistol so I know it's not my technique.

I only had one failure to feed with some cheap Walmart Federal Ammo. This was after I got it good and fowled with my cast handloads which I cast too soft for an automatic pistol so I was just trying to get rid of them.

I took it home and after a good cleaning I used my laser bore sight and sure enough it told me the POI was to the left, lucky for me the rear sight is adjustable, but not easy.

I had to remove a little screw then get out my plastic punch and hammer. After a generous amount of whacks I was able to get my sights lined up with the red dot.

The tightest groups I shot were with my Berry's plated handload with a dash of Bullseye in it.

After my 150 rounds the takedown pin comes out much easier. It was hard as heck to do before and the takedown lines don't match up right so that didn't make it any easier for the first field strip.

If I can get it at least as accurate as my J-frame I'll feel comfortable carrying this pistol, but I've still got more breakin/testing to do before I render judgement.
Old May 6, 2012, 05:38 PM   #7
WVsig

Quote:
I can't speak for all 1911's but my taurus has had enough problems that I don't trust it anymore. I plan to carry it with a Crossbreed holster. I have one for the PT and it carries well.
All poodles are dogs not all dogs are poodles. I am sorry to hear you had trouble with your Taurus 1911 but to be 100% honest it is not anywhere close to a quality 1911. It is not winning any best in breed awards and certainly no best in show awards....

The P345 is solid gun and I hope it serves you well.
Old May 6, 2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Manson

Very nice
Old May 8, 2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Super Sneaky Steve

I may have a slight problem so other P345 owners please chime in.

It appears that if I very lightly touch the mag release it will drop the mag just slightly, about 1/8th to 1/4th.

The pressure it takes to do this is so slight I find myself dropping the mag slightly as I shoot. Now it still feeds in this condition but I'm still worried about it.

To drop the mag all the way it takes a more firm press of the button.

Is this normal?
Old May 8, 2012, 07:47 PM   #10
PT-92

The Ruger P Series is as rock-solid reliable as it gets. I think I would run over the thing with my SUV, confidently re-holster it for immediate CCW use absent either a test fire or concern (I exaggerate [actually, maybe not] but you get my point...).

-Cheers
Old May 8, 2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations!

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old May 8, 2012, 08:07 PM   #12
BGutzman

Nice!!! Enjoy!!!
Old May 9, 2012, 05:39 PM   #13
mmb713

Steve- Congrats on the new Ruger. If the mag is dropping out with a slight touch of the release I would say something is wrong. Your pistol has a magazine disconnect and the pistol won't fire if the magazine isn't inserted completely. And for some strange reason Ruger decided that if the gun is dry fired with the magazine removed it will break and you will get the dreaded "click-no-bang", even if the magazine is installed. It happened once on mine. I would get that looked at before carrying. I traded my P345 off for a P90 when the slide stop started popping out when I "sling-shotted" the slide closed. My P345 also didn't feed some ammo well, mostly my handloaded flat points but some hollowpoints too so make sure your ammo is totally reliable before carrying. It was laser accurate once I got ammo fed though.