The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1
vaquero aleman

What causes FTF's?

I have a G21 and when it is stock and loaded with 230gr ball, it shoots perfectly. But when I shoot with my 45 Super or .460 Rowland set up, I get FTF's. It seems to be that the nose of the bullet gets hung on the feed ramp.

I have started to suspect that the slide is moving too fast for the magazine. That the magazine does not push the next round up hard or fast enough to keep up with the slide velocity.

I just can't afford to shoot the amount of ammo that I would need to figure this out. It's apx. $1 per round. Any ideas?
Old May 4, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
plouffedaddy

My guess is your spring weight is off for the 45 super/460. This would only be a bandaid, but have you polished the feed ramp?
Old May 4, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
vaquero aleman

Yeh I polished the chamber opening, feed ramp and the rest of the barrel just playing around with my Dremel. I was looking to see how pretty I could make it. And I was bored.

And, I use a 24# spring for .460, a 22# for 45 Super and a 20# for 45 ACP. I had, at first, thought I might have too heavy a spring, but I remembered that when I had the 22# in shooting some 45 Super I also shot some ACP out of the same config and it did fine, no FTF's.

And, I would like to correct myself in that my current problem and concern is only with shooting .460 Rowland. I also think that if I had round nose ammo the problem would not have been as severe. Because I was shooting GDHP bullets it appeard the the flat portion of the nose is what was getting hung on the feed ramp.

Last edited by vaquero aleman; May 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4
BigJimP

Its caused primarily by the spring weight ..and the shape of the bullet you choose....

and from my perspective, its a trial and error thing.../ is the only way you're going to work out what ammo type / spring weight for that ammo type will work in your gun.

My hunch is - the bullet shape ..is more of a factor than the spring weight. So if I were you / I'd focus on my options there ....but that probably means you'll have to get into reloading ( and that'll reduce your $1 a round problem as well).

We have the same issue ...on some guns ...with different kinds of "defense" ammo in terms of whether it will run in some guns or not. There is no difinitive yes or no answer on that either ...you just have to test each gun with each type of ammo you are interested in carrying.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:51 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Load the .45 Super/.460 Rowland with hardball ammo. See if problem persists. Load some .45acp with the bullets you are having hangups with in .45Super, etc. IF you still have a problem, its the bullets.

polish ramps/right spring are fixes (maybe) but some guns are just picky about what they want to feed.

Also check to see the angle the mag presents at with each round. It may simply be a matter of your mag's feed lips/follower....
Old May 4, 2012, 03:43 PM   #6
cuba

Try changing your mags with Checkmate hybrid lip mags they'll introduce the round at a higher angle to the chamber.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:56 PM   #7
RickB

Check-Mate's making mags for Glocks, now?
Old May 4, 2012, 06:00 PM   #8
vaquero aleman

I appreciate you guys. Lotta good advice.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:03 PM   #9
vaquero aleman

cuba, checkmate sounded really promising, but it appears that they do not offer Glock magazines on thier website. But thanks all the same.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:57 PM   #10
Coach Z

maybe as an experiment shorten the feed lips on a beater mag so that the rounds do angle up more into the chamber?