The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2012, 01:24 PM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

OAL Changing Due To Soft Lead Tip...

I have been reloading various .223 rounds for a year now and have been quite successful with finding out at what combination/load my AR appears to be the most accurate. I am presently loading some Sierra 65 grain Gameking boat tail bullets and the soft lead tips distort enough upon insertion into the casings that the OALs change somewhat up to 6 thousands. These casings were all fully resized and the lever pressure on my single stage press to seat these bullets does not seem to be excessive but I note that some have slightly flattened tips after seating. I am shooting for a OAL of 2.20 I have never had any problems in the field with my reloads in the past with 55, 62 and 65 grain bullets. Am I being too picky getting a consistant OAL? Thanks...
Old May 4, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Your gun only cares about the distance from rifling to ogive of the bullet. The tip is not relevant, in that respect. It could be being affected though, if the miss gaping is causing the bullet to be pushed in farther.
The shape of the tip might have an affect on accuracy but probably not noticeable unless your getting down to extremes.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old May 4, 2012, 04:10 PM   #3
frank_1947

I will just throw this at you even though you said you see the lead being deformed, first not all bullets are the same legth some can vary as much as .010 and if your die is seating from stem and not ogive that is a issue but if it is seating properly from ogive you can still have a measurement difference due to lenght of bullets, that is why some of us use the hornady bullet comparator that measures from bullet ogive not the tip , this is a much more accurate way to measure the distance from ogive to base of bullet is far more consistant then to the tip, also bullets are different from lot to lot, so measuring a loaded round from ogive to base of cartrige is more exact, and you can cull your bullets by size also measure them before loading and seperate by length.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
dacaur

.005"-.010" is a normal variation in my experience reguardless of bullet type. (excluding match bullets) There is a reason some match bullets cost a buck + each and hunting bullets cost $0.30ish each....
Old May 4, 2012, 06:04 PM   #5
jepp2

Use a bullet comparator to get a more accurate determination of bullet seating depth.