The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 3, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
mellow_c

Ruger LCP !!! Yeah!!!! Review and question.

After about a year of consideration, I finally picked up an LCP.

Taken it shooting once and put about 75 rounds through it. It had one failure to eject. All fmj Remington ammo. But the FTE was when I let my brother shoot it, so I'm not taking it personally

I cleaned it well before firing.

I've shot one before, a friend of mine has one (actually his gf does) I found it to be very uncomfortable to shoot so I thought I'd never get one. In the long run I thought I could probably fit myself to the pistol and just make it work... so thats what I've done.

My first group for the day was done standing unsupported at 6 yards. I fired at a rate of about 1 shot per second for all 7 shots. And wouldent you know, I got a 7 shot group that was easily within 1 and 1/2 inches.

I found if you really bear down on the gun, you can really shoot it well. But it still bites you back. My first knuckle on my trigger finger was getting pretty soar after a while from the trigger guard cracking against it with each pull.

I have the factory magazine grip extension installed on the single factory magazine. It helps, thats for sure. My QUESTION is are there any magazine extensions that extend out forward more... Horizontally, making more of a hook, but not really adding any length vertically?

I think something like that would help me keep up the torque with my ring finger and help keep the gun from wanting to rise under recoil... hopefully helping out my trigger finger in the long run. If something like this exists please please please let me know. So far my searches have not turned up anything.

Besides that, I love this little gun, It's very accurate for me, and I've found the trigger to be very nice after some dry firing and learning how to use it. As far as the single FTE... I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and just say it needs a little more breaking in... Ether that or it was my brothers fault!
Old May 3, 2012, 01:26 AM   #2
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
I don't know about your "hook" idea; however, I do know that adding a rubber grip sleeve along with the factory mag extension made a world of difference for me.

Now, go figure...
Old May 3, 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
flintforever

I just shot the ruger 380 LCP with my left hand un-supported at 12 yards and all I can say this gun laid a full clip into a 3/4" group;
I was thinking into getting one to replace the 22 cal. beretta 21A I been using for summer carry the last 22 years.
I am in my 9 week of rotor cuff surgery Strong Arm Right shoulder so the gun perform like a storm trooper
Old May 3, 2012, 05:40 PM   #4
rep1954

The Handall JR. by Hogue with it's finger groove made a world of difference for me. You can just feel it working when you shoot.

Old May 3, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Vermonter

LCP

This is my no room for a real gun gun. It is acurate as it needs to be at get off me distances.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:49 PM   #6
AK103K

Im not a fan of the finger extensions, as they just make the gun bigger and sort of defeat the whole purpose of a smaller gun.

If you want to get a better grip on your LCP, try stippling it. The difference will amaze you. I makes the grip like a cats tongue, and there is very little movement in your hand while shooting. It also makes it a lot easier to get a hold of it when you draw it.

Old May 4, 2012, 05:10 AM   #7
AndyWest

I really like AK103K's stippling job. I've not seen finger extensions that go forward more than the factory ones. Pearce has extensions but I think those are more "downward" than you want.

That said, the LCP insn't a comfortable pistol to shoot and I doubt it's meant to be. It's a "gun and run" for the worst case. I bought extra mags with Ruger extensions and I find it acceptable for shooting a limited number of rounds.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:40 PM   #8
tomklra14

Try a Hogue Hybrid grip. Adds some size to the grip but makes shooting the LCP much more pleasant. Costs about $10.
Old May 4, 2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Merad

+1 on the Hogue Handall Hybrid gribs. $13 shipped from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HJ78TK
Old May 5, 2012, 06:15 PM   #10
flintforever

any one have these installed on the LCP
http://innovativearms.com/id18.html