The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 30, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Datguy781

Can't justify diversity

In defenseive handguns I have....
Glock 17
Springfield XD sub compact 9mm
Springfield XD compact .45
Beretta 92 Centurion
Sig P239

I want to change that list to this...

Beretta M9A1
Beretta 92FS
Beretta 92A1
Beretta 92FSCenturion (currently own)
Sig P239 ( I shoot it as good as my centurin but its carry friendly)

Its hard to justify having a variety of guns when I shoot a particular type better than the others. Or am I barking up the wrong tree by limiting my choices.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Martowski

I, for one, love the diversity in my handguns as I'm always finding something I like about a different model.

You appear to like the Berettas and I love my 92fs, but for all practical purposes what is your M9A1 going to do that your 92A1 doesn't, and vice versa? Certainly your choice and I get wanting to own both, but if you're talking practical shooting and use the two aren't going to do anything different for you downrange most likely.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:04 PM   #3
cslinger

Depends on what you are going for. I don't own guns for the express purpose of competition or martial needs. I own them for the pleasure of shooting and owning them. Hence I enjoy diversity very much and as such can shoot / handle/ maintain just about everything under the sun. Were I to devote all my time to one platform my skills would likely increase quite a bit yet I would loose the real reason I am a firearms enthusiast.

Everybody has different needs and wants. I am collecting the whole set.
Old April 30, 2012, 10:24 PM   #4
RC20

Probably like most mine evolved based on what I felt I needed or wanted (and in the case of the Model 41 opportunity knocked)

Pretty much focused on the SP2022 now as the reflexes are not what they used to be nor can the eyes see iron sights all that well. I want to be as good with that gun as I can get.

Still chewing on what I want to do with guns I don't shoot much.

The Star PD is a fine gun but very poor sights for the iron sight challenged.

I go back and forth on a smaller CC gun. Probably the most viable one from my standpoint is a S&W MP Compact with a safety. Have to handle one and see how I feel. Prefer the DA/SA Sig but pricey and no compact SP2022 which would be my ideal.

And so it goes. If I was getting more for general it would be the DA/SA as I find I like the action.
Old May 1, 2012, 09:15 AM   #5
David the Gnome

I wonder how long it will take ShipWreck to chime in on this one?
Old May 1, 2012, 05:31 PM   #6
vyse.04

Again it depends on what you are looking for. If you shoot the Glock/Springfield better than you do the Beretta, and like them equally, I would stick with what you feel comfortable with. Being that they are defensive firearms, I think confidence in your abilities outweighs having something that pleases you asthetically. Now if you prefer to shoot a DA/SA, and don't mind carrying the extra weight, the Berettas would make nice additions.
Old May 1, 2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Grant D

I understand where your coming from. I have a S&W Model 66-2 snubnose which I love, and now own a Model 37,637,60,and 64. I like the feel of a S&W snubnose, and enjoy shooting,and carrying them.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Martowski

Yeah, waiting for Shipwreck to find this and show his "wheel of Berettas."

Nothing wrong with that at all. I just personally enjoy diversity in my firearms. Half the fun is owning and trying new things.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Cheapshooter

If having a firearm for SD is your only reason to own one, and you feel most comfortable with the Beretta platform, by all means that's all you need. Myself, on the other hand, I enjoy all the different designs, and calibers I have. I enjoy shooting all of them. Only 4 or 5 are what I rely on for SD, and they are varied as to type, make, and caliber.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 2, 2012, 08:38 AM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
Yeah, waiting for Shipwreck to find this and show his "wheel of Berettas."
LOL!!!
Old May 2, 2012, 10:37 AM   #11
geetarman

Sometimes diversity will eat you alive buying magazines...especially across different platforms.

I have BOXES full of magazines....SIG9,SIG40,G30,G21,G17,4506,5906,SP01,CZ97B,1911 in 9 and 45,XDM45,PPK.380.

Not complaining, just sayin'.

It is NOT cool to go to the range with a SIG P229 in 9 and have a ream of SIG P226 mags loaded with 40...

Geetarman
Old May 2, 2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datguy781
Its hard to justify having a variety of guns when I shoot a particular type better than the others. Or am I barking up the wrong tree by limiting my choices.
I agree with that approach. That may be why I own a full-size 1911 and an Officers-size 1911, and I have slide/barrels assemblies in .45 ACP, .40 S&W and 9mm Luger. I shoot the 1911 well ... why would I look elsewhere?
Old May 2, 2012, 02:03 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
why would I look elsewhere?
Because, haven't you heard, variety (diversity) is the spice of life.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:06 PM   #14
NJgunowner

I enjoy the diversity myself. I'd get bored just shooting one type of gun all the time.

Besides if you were in a situation (friends house for example) and you had to use one of THEIR guns in an emergency, being practiced in multiple types can't hurt.

Besides, if the zombies invade you'll use whatever is closest