The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
cryogenic419

Considering a new .22

So I have been strongly considering getting a new .22 pistol for a while and think I have it narrowed down to what I want. I'm really after a pleasant shooting, accurate, easy to maintain and reliable pistol. I already have a Sig Mosquito, while it works and is fairly accurate its not the greatest feeling gun in my hands and the trigger pull leaves alot to be desired. I've looked at Ruger Mark III's and while its comfy in the hand I have ben told they can be a nightmare when it comes to cleaning and reassembly. I also glanced at a Beretta Neos but something about it just didn't sit right with me.

I've seen lots of glowing things about Browning Buckmarks. The real question I have is does anybody have anything bad to say about them? Is there a general...its a great gun except for ____. I have shot one once (10 rounds) was plenty accurate, but I really don't remember much else.
Old April 27, 2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Vt.birdhunter

The buckmarks have a very solid rep and following.

If your budget allows it, consider a SW 41; it will out shoot the other .22's you mentioned in the accuracy dept.

If you can find one, try a sig trailside.
Old April 27, 2012, 06:03 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

BUT...

-their sight base (that holds the barrel and frame together) are MOSTLY now made of plastic that is known to crack regularly. An after market fix by Tac Solution costs $80.
-their sight bases can become loose if you don't loctite.
-Browning isn't great about warranty work. Haven't heard much praise for it.
-heavy as heck (but I guess all similar ones are)
-not as many options for them compared to Ruger. But start off nicer than Ruger. So that may not matter.
-current known peening issue straight from the factory as of a 2 years ago to present.
-doesn't like dry firing

there you go.
Old April 27, 2012, 06:41 PM   #4
BoogieMan

The Neos is rather unconventional in a laser tag looking kind of way. But I have run about 300 rnds through mine without cleaning (cleaned now) and its been 100% reliable not to mention the accuracy is superb.
Old April 27, 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
mitchntx

My wife shoots a 22 in competitive events. So I have several.

I have an older MII 22/45 and it is a solid gun. Will shoot anything loaded into the magazine. Mags are cheap and easy to find. And like a 10/22, there are lots of parts out there to fix or enhance this platform.

Don't let the internet banter about how complicated this platform is after a field strip deter you. Once you figure out how to let gravity help with one little lever, its a snap to get it back together.

I have a Buckmark Camper with the Ultra grips. another solid shooter. Accurate and dependable.

Mags are a little more expensive than the Ruger, but can be found. Stock trigger is great right out of the box.

My biggest gripe is having to use a tool to break it down for cleaning. I also don;t like the fact that the part that has to be unscewed and removed has the rear sight attached to it.

So far accuracy hasn't been an issue. But the gun is relatively new. Not sure what time will do to it. And I have had issues with the front screw backing out.

I also have a Colt 1911 in 22. It's an Umarex import. Lots of good and bad things about the Umarex platforms. But so far, I like this little gun.

Its heavier than the Ruger and Browning. I don't have enough trigger time with it to give a fair assessment of its performance. But after 300 rounds, I've never had a FTF ot FTE using a WIDE variety of cheap 22 rounds.

I have a High Standard Citation ... don't get me started.

Last weekend, I snagged a S&W M&P 22.

This is a well balanced and accurate shooter. My wife gave it a try and I had to wrestle it away from her. She was willing to abandon the tried and true Ruger and Browning the day of a shoot.

Trigger is awesome!

I must say, this little gun suprised the heck out of me. I have run several hundred rounds of Federal and Winchester bulk through it and have had no issues at all.

Mags are scarce and priced when found. But this little guy is a keeper.

My quick and dirty comparo ... YVMV
Old April 27, 2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Manson

Post deleted. I did my on research.
Old April 27, 2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Coach Z

I just got rid of a Neos after about 300 rds through it. Had to go back to beretta after 20rds, and I wasn't too impressed with the accuracy.

The new ruger sr22 pistol is a dream to shoot and super easy to maintain. Can't say enough good about that one.

Let us know what you come up with
Old April 28, 2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Clifford L. Hughes

crygenic419:

When I was shooting on several Marine Corps pistol teams during the 1960's, I shot master scores with a Ruger Mk1, 6 7/8 inch tapered barrel. I never had a malfunction with it. Now, Ruger makes several math quality .22 auto loaders that are natural pointing. You can't go wrong with one of them.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old April 28, 2012, 02:28 PM   #9
RC20

I would go with the S&W model 41.

I would get a used one if the new price is too much.

Great guns and tack drivers.

Also nice if any issues S&W takes care of and by all reports and one personal experience, do it very well.

Supposed to be original owners but there seems to be a don't ask don't tell, send it in like you are the original owner and they fix it.

Its a help if you buy used and someone foists a bad one off on you as well as the occasional new failures or problem s
Old April 28, 2012, 02:58 PM   #10
robertsig

I believe the Buckmark Camper series is the cheap one with plastic. The higher end Buckmarks have better fit and finish.

I'd take a Buckmark over anything in its price range.
Old April 28, 2012, 03:09 PM   #11
C0untZer0

Is the scope base on the Buck Mark Contour 7.25 URX plastic?
Old April 29, 2012, 05:42 AM   #12
Pilot

I have four Ruger MK II's, so that should tell you something. All are very accurate and reliable. If you use the manual, dissasembly, and reassembly are easy. Don't let people dissuade you from this pistol because of that canard.
Old April 29, 2012, 06:07 AM   #13
excelerater

buckmark ,mine has been better for me than rugers or some others also
best 22 pistol you can get IMO
1500 rounds do far and not one failure
Old April 29, 2012, 07:31 AM   #14
cecILL

The Ruger assembly problems are overblown.
Ferwer pieces than a childs picture puzzle.
Old April 29, 2012, 09:50 AM   #15
pb803

Buckmark......
Old April 29, 2012, 12:10 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
I've looked at Ruger Mark III's and while its comfy in the hand I have ben told they can be a nightmare when it comes to cleaning and reassembly.
This is NOT true at all.

The Ruger pistols have a very different disassembly/reassembly process than most other pistols, but it is not difficult at all. Just keep your manual handy the first few times and you'll be fine.

They are actually very easy to clean, as there are few nooks and crannies when the pistol is field stripped.
Old April 29, 2012, 05:31 PM   #17
GaryH

As far as the Ruger being hard to assemble after cleaning. Bullcrap. If you are good enough to get it apart, have it clean and lubed, the reassembly is simple.

Watch a couple of Youtube videos, and you'll see what I mean.
Old April 29, 2012, 05:34 PM   #18
Microgunner

I own a Buckmark. No complaints.
Old April 29, 2012, 05:51 PM   #19
HDTVSELLER

RUGER MKIII 22/45 is my choice bud i will agree it was alittle ruff the first id say 3 times taking it apart but... its pretty easy once you got it down . now my father inlaws mkII has been tuff bc of the fitting being so tight every time but well worth the troubles i say.
Old April 29, 2012, 08:59 PM   #20
bedbugbilly

I love my Ruger MK III Target - eats anything I feed it, rugged and reliable . . . and as stated, the disassembly of it is far overblown . . . watch the videos and after a couple of times it's a snap.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 30, 2012, 08:27 AM   #21
danez71

Quote:
Is there a general...its a great gun except for ____.
Id say the general consenus is "except the plastic sight base" on the base model Camper.

HOWEVER... they have recently discontinued using it and are going all metal on all the models.

Currently, if you happen to pick one up with a plastic version and it cracks... call them up and tell them and they will send you the all metal replacement with the rear site for it thats on the upper end models at no charge if its still under warranty (I dont know what the warranty period is). Its about a $60-$70 value.

I spoke to the warranty center myself regarding this.
Old April 30, 2012, 08:38 AM   #22
chuckles

I've purchased 4 more rimfire handguns in the last 2 weeks, mainly because thanks to a new Sportsman's Warehouse near me. I like being able to examine the gun before buying it. I bought a S&W MP22, a Ruger Single Six Convertible in Srainless and 2 Mark III Rugers, a Competition and a Hunter. I already have a S&W 41, Buckmark and a S&W 617. I am really loving the rimfires. Cheap to shoot and more fun than should be legal in Nevada.
Old April 30, 2012, 11:12 AM   #23
TailGator

If you don't like the Beretta, go another direction, but once you are past the styling I have found mine to be extremely reliable and accurate. You need to keep the extractor clean because it is so tiny it is fouled easily. The rail makes it a 60-second job to mount a red dot sight. Lots of cheap fun. Everyone who has shot mine - newbies or experienced, men and women, young and old - have all enjoyed the funny-looking little bugger.