The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 27, 2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Miami_JBT

Just bought a FAL... *** do I have?

I just purchased this Century Arms FAL for $800. Came with six 20rd magazines, Condor "Tactical" sling, forend rail, and twenty five rounds of Lake City 7.62x51mm NATO. I haven't shot it. Everything is nice and tight on this rifle and the finish is excellent. Just a few dings in the stock and a little parkerization is worn from where the charging handle is.

Anyways... some pics and explanations.

The receiver has the following on it. The IMBEL Gear logo followed by...
FAL
RECEIVER MADE BY IMBEL - ITAJUBA - BRAZIL
C.A.I. GEORGIA, VT

On the upper rear (just below the rear sight) of the lower it has a serial number of 226527

The serial number on the IMBEL receiver is FAL14XXX. What's interesting is that "FAL" is done by electric dot and the numbers are not and "FAL" is just off line and is not aligned with the numbers. It appears that the "FAL" part of the serial number might have been added after the receiver was made and the numbers were struck. The numbers are in the same font as the information stamped on the receiver.

Inside of the magwell it's stamped "2004".

The IMBEL receiver is marked "Cal. 7,62mm (.308)". The lower has the following selector markings. "S", "R", "A". No other marking are on the lower. The selector switch will not move past the "R" but I am not sure if this is due to the selector switch itself or simply the pistol grip.

The rear sight is graduated from 200mm to 600mm.

It's like having a glass window with a label saying "Caution: do not wipe with a hammer"
Old April 27, 2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Miami_JBT

The front sight post has "0", "4", "8", "12" stamped on it. The gas selector has no markings on it.

There is an "A" stamped on the gas plug.

There are no other marking on the rifle. I took the forend off and there are no markings on the barrel. The bolt carrier is stamped with a number that does not match anything else.

It's like having a glass window with a label saying "Caution: do not wipe with a hammer"
Old April 27, 2012, 02:58 PM   #3
wogpotter

I'm guessing you have a fairly typical CAI FAL metric built on Imbel parts kit with a gear logo receiver. The "real" serial # is the one on the upper, the opposite of AR style rifles.

The selector sounds like a semi-auto only type fitted to keep non experts from thinking you have some kind of machine gun, which you don't. The "A" & "G" marks indicate the gas being on (A) for semi-auto firing or off (G) for grenade launching with a special blank cartridge.

Imbel gas regulators have no numbers sometimes, just remember that closing it (turning left) is INCREASING gas, nor reducing it. Yous seems fully closed in the pictures, you might want to try backing it off a bit as that will possibly give really heavy recoil & beat the heck out of the lower.

Wear gloves when firing with that cheese grater front end. They work fine with low recoil guns but the 7.62 will rip your hand up something horrible with that thing fitted. Plan "B" get the magpull "AFG" 45 degree angled fore-grip & use that it's a much nicer grip than the vertical handle.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old April 29, 2012, 12:43 AM   #4
medalguy

Or just lose the front grip. I have a similar CAI/Imbel rifle made into a carbine version with a few modifications, and it is a sweet shooting rifle, deadly accurate for a battle rifle. Imbel made some excellent rifles, and Century imported kits to build rifles here. Some are better than others, so you'll have to shoot yours a bit to see how well it functions.

There are two types of rifles, a metric pattern and an inch pattern. You need to find out which one you have if you want to buy more mags. I forget right now how to tell, but you can get a ton of information over on falfiles.com.
Old April 29, 2012, 07:08 AM   #5
wogpotter

Metric mags have a dimple punched out of the sheet metal for a locking lug, Inch have a slab of metal welded on as an extra part.
Metric mags have a base held in by turning the mag walls inwards, Inch have them turned outwards to form a protruding lip.
Inch on the left, metric on the right.

Looking in the bottom of the receiver this is a metric fit, Inch is deeper, squarer & wider.

That rifle looks 100% metric to me with the grip, gas regulator & sights fitted.
Some, but not all Inch pattern rifles will take (even if a bit sloppy) metric magazines but not all.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; April 29, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old April 29, 2012, 07:14 AM   #6
HALL,AUSTIN

The S is safe, R is repeating or semi, and the A is full auto. Im assuming it will not go to A cause Uncle Sam says so.