The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 28, 2012, 01:18 AM   #51
BIG P

I dont downgrade , live in the country use what you have,aint carring 1000 rounds either, aint that far to the honey hole.
Old April 28, 2012, 10:17 PM   #52
Hook686

Quote:
Quote:
I want to know why people would leave their good rifles behind and grab a Century AK with their bug out bag.
Maybe this is telling you which gun people consider the 'good rifle' deep down in their subconscious...

Quote:
A good .22LR will do anything I want a survival rifle to do, including making boogie-men go look for an emergency room. Accurate, light weight, easy to shoot, ammo is everywhere. Lots of guys over-think this whole thing.
Aint THAT the truth...
There might be another way to look at it. Perhaps many folks leave the high price good looking gun at home and take the well used 'Old standby' to the range, out hunting, popping beer coke cans .... This means they are most comfortable with the well used 'Old standby'. It might just be habit to grab 'Old standby' in a pinch, rather than that alien beautifully kept centerpiece.

While the .22 is a fine survival gun, I'd sure hate for that to be my only choice if a bear took and interest in me because he had not eaten in three, or four days.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old April 28, 2012, 10:29 PM   #53
rickyrick

For that reason, bears are left out of my survival fantasy.
Old April 30, 2012, 11:48 AM   #54
Klingon00

Another thing to consider here is barter. I've seen a preper blog where the guy purchased a crate of 91/30s to enable him to arm his neighbors and/or use as barter for goods. Same goes for buying up a bunch of Hi-Points. They are cheap so you can afford a bunch, but when everyone may need to go armed to survive, they may be worth their weight in gold after the gun stores get looted/turned into fort knox.

Also a consideration, many top notch rifles people have for recreation are simply impractical for EDC. They are too heavy because they feature heavy barrels, heavy furniture and have too many accessories etc and are simply impractical to carry with you all the time. Having a lighter weight, no frills rifle that has fewer parts to break has some merit in a SHTF scenario.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:37 AM   #55
Beans

In a situation where maintenance items are scarce or nonexistence I would pick my AK WASP-10 ( as I run the snot out of it without any problems) and my Glock. Both guns seem to run fine where the possibly of maintenance is low.

On the other hand what ever gun I have at the time of need is the one I would use
Old May 1, 2012, 07:07 PM   #56
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I don't understand the point you're perhaps trying to make?
Perhaps I am saying that we are talking about shooting people, not mythical monsters.

If you want to "shoot hobgoblins and zombies," go play dungeons and dragons.
Old May 2, 2012, 09:46 PM   #57
Sarge

Quote:
For that reason, bears are left out of my survival fantasy.
Not me... I'm going bear cavalry
Old May 3, 2012, 07:00 AM   #58
robertsig

I can't imagine a 'scenario' where you would only take one weapon with you. I'd at least have two, since my CCW is usually on me.

Yah, carrying a few long arms and all the associated ammo can be unwieldy, which is why (I assume) most preppers have bags already made up with guns, ammo and accessories ready to roll. If nothing else, you can carry a few different handguns for little extra weight.

A true SHTF person would probably have at least one takedown gun for portability, in addition to a rifle which perhaps cannot be disassembled as easily. That's three guns total right there.
Old May 3, 2012, 09:48 AM   #59
johnwilliamson062

Quite a few decent sources have indicated there are almost certainly as many guns as a adults in the US. I doubt guns will be worth all that much in TEOTWAKI, especially considering there would likely be a lot less adults very quickly.
Old May 3, 2012, 10:45 AM   #60
Edward429451

Quote:
Perhaps I am saying that we are talking about shooting people, not mythical monsters.

If you want to "shoot hobgoblins and zombies," go play dungeons and dragons.
So you have no point. He did say it was slang which would indicate that he is very aware of who he would be shooting. Being snarky was your point, I see.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:56 PM   #61
rickyrick

I would have a hard time....I can't save ammo. As soon as I acquire an extra box or two of ammo, I shoot it. When I run out of plinking ammo I start eyeballin my hunting bullets. So sadly I would probably face my emergency situation with 17 rounds of ammo.
Old May 4, 2012, 02:46 PM   #62
44 AMP
Staff

I think the most likely reason for using a "cheaper" rifle is they expect it to be banged up, not cared for, and most likely, lost, at some point.

Short of the end of all, no emergency is going to last forever. Also it may be that the "authorities" will take your guns, when you meet them. Losing a cheap(er) gun isn't quite as painful, or it isn't to me, anyway.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:58 PM   #63
WildBill45

People who do, do it, the pretenders go Hollywood, this is why!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old May 5, 2012, 03:12 AM   #64
UnbearablePanda

Well you could have a epic match and just use the .22 rifle to shove down the bears throat(a 67 year old man shoved a stick down a bears throat and ran off). You never know! That could be quite the scenario. Just think of yourself as Jim Bowie .
Old May 30, 2012, 10:07 AM   #65
zbones6

a gun to fit any role

I only have 2 guns, a 91/30 Mosin Nagant, and a Ruger 10/22. Id bring both. I can carry thousands of .22lr for small game, and have quite a bit of surplus Bulgarian 7.62x54R for big game, and two legged prey...
Old May 30, 2012, 11:17 AM   #66
fext

I don't get it, what exactly is a survival rifle. Something for the zombie apocalypse scenario?
Old May 30, 2012, 11:37 AM   #67
kraigwy

Quote:
I don't get it, what exactly is a survival rifle
I can give my take on "survival rifles"

The first two years I spent in Alaska (1972-73) I worked for the Railroad out of Healy AK. I got laid off each winter and lived in a little 12X18 cabin. Zero income (except for a few dollars selling reloads and making arrows for people).

I had several high power rifles and pistols, but I pretty much fed my family on small game and fish. Rabits and ptaragan. My go to rifle was a Savage O/U 22/410.

Still have that rifle, and if for some weird reason I'd find my self in the same situation I can't think of any of my other firearms I would pick over it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 30, 2012, 12:35 PM   #68
Strafer Gott

Kraig has this nailed. The little Savage over/ under actually is a survival gun.
Food, clothing, and shelter is more important than any other possible scenario.
If you really want to go nuts, get the .22 mag/ 20gauge combo. Most folks won't hump anything farther than their backyard, and have no clue about living rough. It's amazing what a human can stand, with a full stomach.

Last edited by Strafer Gott; May 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:03 PM   #69
fext

Quote:
My go to rifle was a Savage O/U 22/410.
Makes a lot of sense. Thumbs up and thanks for your explanation.
Old May 30, 2012, 05:33 PM   #70
armoredman

I made this poster as somewhat of a joke,

But for many situations, it's hard to beat a good basic setup like a sold wheelgun and a bolt action rifle for anything that doesn't include major combat with organized enemies. The rifle is a CZ 527M in 7.62x39mm, has a detachable 5 round magazine, adjustable iron sights, is accurate reliable and dependable in a common caliber...and weighs 6 pounds. Everyone who picks it up can't believe how light it is. It's my "camp rifle", and not a bad choice for a bug out rifle. The revolver is a 38 special Smith Model 10, but could easily be a 357 to allow for even more common ammunition, load the first two with snake shot and go from there. I probably would carry my CZ SP-01 Phantom, though.

If I bug in, my choice is different.

Old June 1, 2012, 05:48 AM   #71
swopjan

In my big town/little city, if things go downhill fast I figure the biggest threat to my health is the toughs with tattoos and poor attitudes, their tag-a-long wannabe gangsters, and the large dogs that those people tend to let escape too often. I'd stay put to protect my family, so a dedicated survival rifle isn't necessary in my mind as I'll have appropriate rifles on hand for what I need anyway. a .22 for rabbits/dogs, a 30-06 for breathing room and a 20-gauge shotgun the ladies can handle and have practiced with in case of emergency. none of these was particularly expensive, my costlier guns and the guns i plan to get just won't be as well suited, particularly for the family to use. so it's not a downgrade, it's what makes sense.

now i want one of those savages, .22 for rabbits and 20 gauge in case of dogs

another upside of staying home, all my guns are on hand all the time. when the world ends, break into my house and i'll be wearing as many revolvers as i can a la Josey Wales. better whistle Dixie.

Last edited by swopjan; June 1, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old June 1, 2012, 08:20 AM   #72
Tikirocker

I don't downgrade so not sure if I'm a rarity in the category or not - for survival I'd take my best rifle and scope, not the cheapest and most prone to fail.

Tiki.
Old June 1, 2012, 10:09 PM   #73
robertsig

I didn't read all the replies, so this may have been covered. I assume this in regard to a SHTF scenario.

In many cases, people's best guns are "high maintenance", to use a girlfriend/wife analogy. Your top-end hunting rifle may have a scope that can get out of whack pretty easily, which would render it useless. Your best rifle may be blued & walnut, which doesn't handle the elements as well as polymer, stainless and laminate. Nice tight tolerances, while great for target practice don't translate to reliability in combat. Etc.
Old June 2, 2012, 02:46 PM   #74
tayronachan

I'd also go for the AK, if only because it is short and handy. I live in a small town of 2500 people. If I had to "bug out" and leave my home I think the world would be so f-ed up, what would be the point? Better to join with neighbors into a defensive group.