The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
ycastane

HK P30 vs Sig P229

I've been wanting to get a P30 for a while now in 9mm but as you all know is a little high in price. Cant really go and try them out since i dont even where here in Miami they rent guns like that except shotguns and .22 rifles at the range.

Saw a video on youtube where the guys is testing both and he has high remarks for the both of them. I'm getting a M&P Shield for carry as soon as my local shop has them and from there going to get either one of this, although i like the look better of the P30.

I need to know from experienced guys like you, what do you think about both and which one would you choose and why. Also plan on using whichever one i get to start IDPA later down the road, once i become very familiar with the gun and practice a lot.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
ScotchMan

Both are excellent guns, probably the best in their categories. I think the P30 is a little bigger than the P229; the P2000 would be comparable to the P229 if I'm not mistaken.

P30 can be carried cocked and locked, or hammer down safety on or off. Sig must be carried hammer down. P30 has trigger guard mag release, Sig has traditional push button. P30 is polymer, Sig is aluminum.

Other than that, the guns are very similar. Some will say that Sig's quality control is suffering lately, I can't comment on that. I do think HK is the slightly better gun, but its so minor it doesn't matter.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old April 27, 2012, 10:21 AM   #3
ycastane

Yeah the mag release dont care much since i have a Walther P22 which the same release and i am used to that already. Thanks Scotch!!
Old April 27, 2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Crow Hunter

I haven't tried the P30, but it is on my list of "want to's".

I used to own a P229 in .40.

I didn't like it, it always felt like it was going to squirt out of the top of my hand. Too "fat" at the top of the grip.

I never had any problems with it, but it was a fairly large sized gun and heavier than the G19 that I use today.

This was in the late 1990's though, the only experience that I have with Sig's current quality level is a friends P226 that shot something like 8" low and 3 or 4 to the right out of the box. We were shooting at 8.5 X11" sheets of paper and almost never figured out where the rounds were going... I finally noticed if I aimed over the paper I clipped the bottom right of the target. We even had my brother who has a nearly identical Blackwater Edition shoot it and he couldn't hit the paper at all. The look on his face was hilarious. Especially when I was getting hits and he wasn't and I don't shoot Sigs as good as he does.

He called Sig and they told him to try different ammo.

He sent it back and they fixed it. I haven't shot it since then, so I assume it is better now.

Good luck.
Old April 27, 2012, 11:04 AM   #5
ycastane

Good to know. Thanks Crow!
Old April 27, 2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Gunnut17

Haven't ever used a SIG, quite a shame. But the P30 I have used on a range trip, and loved it, the recoil is relatively soft, the grip is near-perfect for me, and it is easier to find for under $1000, the SIG I have only seen for around $1100

Though I do hope to own both in the distant future.

"|Pistol calibers| all suck, so pick the one you shoot best."
Old April 27, 2012, 12:22 PM   #7
ycastane

Actually the sig is about $50 cheaper but i rather go with the P30, not to mention all the responses so far are leaning toward the P30.
Old April 27, 2012, 12:31 PM   #8
loose_holster_dan

haven't tried the p30, but from what i'm told, the ergos are near identical to the ppq, and it's phenomenal.

i have a sig p226 uspsa (essentially the same as the blackwater). the same thing was happening to me with the shots going low right (exactly where crow hunter said). now, it's the most accurate gun i own. either it broke in or i did. even my fiance shoots bullseyes with it.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 27, 2012, 06:36 PM   #9
sigarms228

Quote:
Actually the sig is about $50 cheaper but i rather go with the P30, not to mention all the responses so far are leaning toward the P30.
Depends on which P229. The popular ones tend to go closer to $1000.
Old April 27, 2012, 06:39 PM   #10
sigarms228

You really need to try each out and see which works best for you. They are both fine pistols. I own two P229s myself - one in .40 and one in .357 SIG.

Myself I prefer SIGs and shoot them better. I tried a P30 but did not like the trigger on it.

If you don't mind striker fired pistol try the Walther PPQ - if you can find one these days. Its the bees knees. Perfection in grip, ergos, and trigger. Also extremely accurate and reliable.

Good luck picking the one that works best for you.
Old April 27, 2012, 07:18 PM   #11
ycastane

The problem i have with trying them out is the range i know only rents shotguns and .22 rifles. There is an indoors range i've never been too that i can check what they have for rental to see if they have those.

Walther PPQ i'll check on that right now!! Thanks Sig!

EDIT: Just checked gunbroker and they have them for about $500
Old April 27, 2012, 07:26 PM   #12
BRJACKET

I have both the P30 and the P30L. I just really preferred how they felt in my hand. The P30 and the Sig 229 are almost identical in size. I held both together and the P30 is lighter. I have heard great things on the 229 trigger. I used to have a beretta px4 storm. The trigger on the P30 is similar but better so I don't have a problem with the trigger. I like the ergonomics of the p30 much better (personal preference). I got the p30L used for a good price. I actually like shooting it more but the p30 would be easier to carry.

I have read that some people will only buy the German made Sigs for quality control reasons. I can't speak to that. I think both would serve you well but I vote for the p30. If you aren't as concerned with conceal carry then I would get the p30L.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:25 PM   #13
ycastane

Yeah i can look into the P30L, i would have to see it at the dealer and make up my mind, the only time i will be carrying the P30 will be while hunting, fishing or camping and it would be open carry anyhow. So the size really doesnt matter that much.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:50 PM   #14
TunnelRat

If you really like DA/SA, which I do, then take a look at the Walther P99 AS. A hell of a lot less, and I don't think it's too far off in quality. I do like the P30 more, but I don't like it $300 more.

P.S. - And I am an HK whore.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:55 PM   #15
ycastane

Yeah i am planning on becoming an HK whore as well. I have to spend real dough on a handgun at some point, plus when i set my mind on something i wont take it off until i get what i want. I want the P30 lol. I am not changing my mind any time soon, later on i can get a Walther P99 or PPQ but for the moment the P30 will be.
Old April 27, 2012, 09:44 PM   #16
BRJACKET

I have heard all good things about the Walter . If you have the money and wanted that and the HK then I definitely recommend looking at the p30L. It doesn't seem that different to see but it is amazing how accurate it is. Then you cover both sizes .
Old April 27, 2012, 11:12 PM   #17
BarryLee

I have owned a new SIG P229 in 9mm for a little over a year and it has become my daily carry weapon. Since purchasing the gun I have shot it probably a couple of times a month and have experienced zero problems. As a matter of fact I just put about 120 rounds through it yesterday and really was pleased with how accurate, reliable and easy to shoot this gun is. I have or currently own handguns from many manufactures and the P229 is probably my favorite to shoot and carry.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 27, 2012, 11:16 PM   #18
soapboxpreacher

I have shot both and I liked the P30 better however...and this is a big one! You need to shoot both yourself. What one likes and another shoots well are to completely different things. So no matter who recommends what, shoot all in questions yourself. One might feel better in your hand than another. But if you are also considering the P30...do the P30L but also look at the PPQ from walther. I have one and the trigger is better than the P30 and I like the longer magazine release on the PPQ. I think the P30 has a slightly better grip and is crafted beautifully but it is also 2x the cost. My only really bitch is the PPQ doesnt have great sight. But as bad as the sights are I seem to do excellent with them. Even so I am replacing them. I just bought a set of Phosphorus 3-dots that looks very similar to the P30. I also (have on order) a Sprinco Recoil Reduction spring for the PPQ it is wirey!! I will have 700 into the PPQ, that 300+ less...that can buy alot of ammo!! Now here is the big one...all money saving beyond...the reason I choose the PPQ over the P30 was purely because I shot it much better! I wanted the P30L but didnt do nearly as well as I did with the PPQ. Had I shot the P30L better...I would have bucked up and got it! But once again I have to throw my disclaimer in there...what I shoot well isnt necessary what you shoot well, try before you buy!

Go to a factory shoot at one of your local shops and shoot everything. I went and shot: Taurus 24/7, XDm, Number of Glocks, Number of Sigs, Px4, M&P (bought one right away), P250, P229, baby Desert Eagle...on my list to own!, PPQ, P30L, USP, 92FS, CZ 75b and a few more. I went 2 days from 9-5 both days (Only comes around once a year). It was so worth it because I had my heart set on the XDm...and didnt shoot it well. It was recommended by tons and I am glad I shot it and I shot it 2x the 1st day and once the second. For I would have bought a gun that didnt fit my style of shooting and would be disappointed with it. Each gun I shot over 50 round thru the ones I liked I shoot 2x and with more ammo. It helped. I currently own M&P9 with an Apex trigger and a PPQ. All Metal Baby Eagle is on the list...I shoot this gun better than any other...ripping the same hole out to 35' which is very good for me!
Old April 27, 2012, 11:46 PM   #19
HKGuns

I'd take the P30 over the Sig if it were my money. But I'm absolutely biased.
Old April 28, 2012, 02:46 AM   #20
DocDizz

I don't own a 229 but I do have a 228 and would absolutely not hesitate to get a 229. As for the P30, I've never shot or handled any HK pistols, nor do I have any desire to. My personal preference is if it's traditional DA/SA then it should be metal, plastic for striker fired. Is that a stupid belief? Maybe. Do I care? Absolutely not.

So I'm saying 229, but I'm an up and coming Sig fanboy
Old April 28, 2012, 04:56 AM   #21
Gunnut17

Quote:
I'd take the P30 over the Sig if it were my money. But I'm absolutely biased.
Can tell by your name.

"|Pistol calibers| all suck, so pick the one you shoot best."
Old April 28, 2012, 04:41 PM   #22
ycastane

Thanks guys!! Come Monday i'll call every shooting range around me and see if they have anything that i am interested in for rent so i can try them out... So far since so many people have recommended i am in between the PPQ, P30 and P229.

Hopefully they have them all so i can try them out and choose for myself.
Old April 28, 2012, 05:31 PM   #23
Manson

I never cared for the HK trigger. I own several Sigs including recent builds and they are flawless.
Old April 28, 2012, 05:52 PM   #24
IMightBeWrong

If you're left handed and like ambidextrous controls, definitely the HK. If you're right handed, then it's really a non-issue. Both are outstanding choices. In my experience the HK has a better feel in hand by just a bit while the SIG has a far nicer trigger. Accuracy out of both is phenomenal. My personal preference would say SIG, but it's really a tossup.
Old April 29, 2012, 10:28 AM   #25
vent51177

I still kick myself for passing on a slightly used P30 for $550.