The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2012, 01:27 PM   #1
bikerbill

Need .380 Advice

Getting ready to bite the bullet, so to speak, and join the .380 club ... my local gun shop is offering 10% off on the Kel-Tec, so I'm leaning that way ... price is important, but not vital ... should I be concerned about it for any reason; and if you don't like it, can you offer a better option that won't break the bank? currently carrying a Kahr PM9, but we have a long road trip coming up and I'm looking for something a bit lighter for pocket carry, with a bit more punch than my NAA Pug ...

Thanks for your help in advance; I always trust TFL opinions more highly than gun mags, so please be frank ...
Old April 27, 2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Budda

Keltec makes a good, reliable, ugly lil gun and .380 will stop most two leg critters with shot placement. Keltec also makes a 9mm single stack (pf9?) which would be a better choice IMHO.
Old April 27, 2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Laz

I had to make the same choice recently. I have a Kel-Tec P32 which I like very much and when comparing the P3AT and the (very) similar Ruger LCP, I leaned heavily toward the Kel-Tec for three reasons: 1) I felt the checkering on the Kel-Tec P3AT allowed for a better hold than the smoother grip of the LCP, 2) I felt that George Kelgren, the designer of the Kel-Tec and the man who, IMO, started this whole mini .380 craze, deserved the profit from his ideas, and 3) the Kel-Tec, while not as pretty was somewhat cheaper than the LCP.

I purchased a P3AT and then had the opportunity to shoot a P3AT and LCP side by side. I ended up selling the P3AT and buying an LCP and am very happy. In spite of the checkering, I found the LCP to be softer shooting in my hands and much more comfortable. I also found the LCP to be more accurate, for me, and easier to get decent groups. I rather liked the Kel-Tec trigger better than the long, somewhat mushy trigger of the LCP but, in the end, I could not deny the better results I got with the LCP.

None of this is a complaint against Kel-Tec. I love my little 32 and like the P3AT. I just found the LCP to be better, for me.

Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do, or do without.
Old April 27, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
LockedBreech

I'm a big fan of my LCP. I'm edging toward 1,000 issue free rounds (one error that was my fault around 300).
Old April 27, 2012, 03:10 PM   #5
C0untZer0

If I were you, I'd re-evaluate everything and see if I really just didn't want another pistol.

You already have a PM9, that's pretty light weight already, is weight REALLY that important on a road trip? Maybe for hiking, site seeing - yes, but when you're in the car, stopping for gas / rest breaks, weight shouldn't be that big of a deal that you wouldn't want at least a 9mm for those situations.
Old April 27, 2012, 03:20 PM   #6
KyJim

I have a Kahr CM9 but have clothes where pocket carry or other concealment it is difficult. That's when I carry either my Sig P238 or Ruger LCP. So, I completely understand wanting a true mouse gun. After some initial problems, the Keltec has earned a good reputation. Good enough that Ruger copied the design in the LCP. It's strictly a close range weapon for most of us but an awful lot of incidents occur at close range.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 27, 2012, 04:36 PM   #7
momano

IMHO, the LCP is worth the extra money. I had a P3at; it started FTE problems around 600 rounds. It also aggravated my arthritis. After 3 trips back to the mother ship, I got rid of it and got a LCP. The extra weight makes it easier on my hand, no reliability problems so far, the finish is nicer, and it is my most often chosen EDC. Good luck in your decision~
Old April 27, 2012, 04:45 PM   #8
CWKahrFan

My LCP is amazingly accurate for it's tiny size. It's my most-carried gun too.

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old April 27, 2012, 05:32 PM   #9
AndyWest

Another vote for the LCP. I put mine in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. Easy to grab and drop in the pocket when you're going somewhere at night. Very snappy recoil but quite manageable once you get used to it. I found the finger extensions on the bottom of the mags helpful for my fat hands.
Old April 27, 2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Rspeters

I'm not sure how it compares in size to a pm9 but the best 380 I've had is by FAR my Sig P238. It is an amazing shooting gun, and it's actually fun to shoot…as compared to the LCP (which I've owned in the past) which is in my opinion uncomfortable to shoot. The trigger on the sig p238 is very good, the sights are great, and the recoil is the softest shooting pocket carry 380 I've ever shot. It is a little more expensive than the LCP, but you can find them for as low as $450-500, sometimes lower.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:19 PM   #11
orionengnr

Having owned two P3ATs and two LCPs, I vote LCP hands down.
Both P3ATs were troubled (to put it charitably), and I never got either to work reliably enough to carry.
Both LCPs came from the factory ready to run reliably.

That said, when I feel the need for a pocket pistol, my PM9 gets the nod. The PM9 is only slightly larger, employs a more powerful round and has far better sights.

The LCP has not seen the outside of the safe in quite some time. Probably ought to sell it, but something makes me keep it around.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:30 PM   #12
Glock Guy

I know I'll prolly catch hell for saying this but I'm not a fan of either the keltec or lcp. I bought a diamondback 380. Yeah there were problems with the gun in the beginning but what gun hasn't. Feels much better in the hand also. If you do decide on the gun make sure the serial number is in the zdxxxx range. Za, zb or zc stay away. They also so make a 9mm that's not much bigger. I love the gun and have had no problems with it so far. I've put 500 rounds through it.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:45 PM   #13
plouffedaddy

I've had the Taurus, Kel Tec, LCP, and BG380. I only have the BG left. It has been 100% reliable, has usable sights, a built in laser (not a big deal for me but it is for some), and the best trigger of the bunch. The LCP and BG were both 100% reliable but I couldn't stand the trigger on the LCP. I'm sure it could be mastered with practice but I didn't want to put in the time/cost to do so when I could naturally fire the BG380 very well.
Old April 27, 2012, 08:48 PM   #14
michael t

I would go with the KelTec All 5 of mine from the P-32 to the PF-9 have been trouble free.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old April 27, 2012, 09:17 PM   #15
franco45

LCP all the way. Rode from Ohio to Fla. and back last year. The LCP was in my pocket all the time (except for passing through Georgia). I had the DB380 and the TCP but stayed with the LCP because of reliability and accuracy.
Old April 27, 2012, 10:44 PM   #16
B.N.Real

I'm not a fan of how the ammo companies are treating people who shoot the 380 cartridge.

That ammo is very expensive compared to ammo that is considerably more powerful.

There is a high demand for it so they can't say it is because it's a rare or hard round to find or manufacture.

I use a Taurus 38 snub that carries in a pocket for me just fine.

The Kahr small ccw 9mm's are also well thought of too.

I'm won't be joining the 380 club unless it's to buy a 1908 Colt hammerless.

But,of all the mini 380's,it appears the Ruger LCP has the best reputation for not being a pain in the saddle.
Old April 27, 2012, 11:31 PM   #17
zxcvbob

I have a P3AT and it was surprisingly accurate (in spite of the almost nonexistent sights) until I started flinching with it. Every shot feels like a "ladyfinger" firecracker going off in my hand.

I still carry it when I can't carry my K-frame revolver, but I don't practice with it enough. I really should do something about that this summer, now that I have plenty of .380 brass and don't have to worry about losing a few pieces. When I bought it, .380 ammo *and* brass was very scarce.

BTW, it throws the brass way up in the air and it lands about 50 feet behind me and I lose a lot of it. I put the strongest aftermarket springs on, and it didn't make a difference. I called Kel-tec and they said that was normal.

I've shot several hundred rounds thru mine and not had a single FTE or FTF or other problems.

I hate that there's no slide lock -- not even a manual one.

Overall I like the gun, even though it's probably not obvious from what I just wrote. I might have been happier with a P32.
Old April 28, 2012, 12:06 AM   #18
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
I've had the Taurus, Kel Tec, LCP, and BG380. I only have the BG left. It has been 100% reliable, has usable sights, a built in laser (not a big deal for me but it is for some), and the best trigger of the bunch. The LCP and BG were both 100% reliable but I couldn't stand the trigger on the LCP. I'm sure it could be mastered with practice but I didn't want to put in the time/cost to do so when I could naturally fire the BG380 very well.
The BG380 is under-appreciated. If I didn't love my LCP it'd be my next choice