The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 17, 2012, 10:13 PM   #51
Cycrops

Is it possible that you're not racking the slide far enough to fully cock the hammer when you are loading the gun? Perhaps after firing the first round you should try the decocker again and see if you hear the click and the find that the next shot is double action.
Old April 18, 2012, 07:49 AM   #52
dondavis3

My Sig P2022's are great guns.

Old April 18, 2012, 07:53 AM   #53
Marquezj16

I almost bought a second one that had the diamond plate slide. When I went to buy it I got distracted by a Sig 1911. Then when I went back to get it the second time, it was gone.
Old April 18, 2012, 12:02 PM   #54
geetarman

When I bought my first Sig, I did not think the decocker was working because the hammer did not fall.

What I did not realize was the decocker has almost no resistance until you reach the "hard" spot. I was not pressing it hard enough to decock the hammer.

I have several Sigs and some are easier to decock than others. If you are not familiar with how they work, you MAY not have followed through to drop the hammer.

Once you get a feel for it, it is a piece of cake.

I was so sure mine was not working, I called the LGS and asked them what I was doing wrong. They talked me through it.

Geetarman
Old April 18, 2012, 01:24 PM   #55
tomrkba

Call SIG and ask for help. They're pretty good about that sort of thing.

You could also find a certified SIG armorer in your area (one of your local gun stores should have one) and ask them to take a look at it.

Also check youtube.com. There should be some videos out there on the topic.
Old April 18, 2012, 04:49 PM   #56
Bullrock

Quote:
Is it possible that you're not racking the slide far enough to fully cock the hammer when you are loading the gun? Perhaps after firing the first round you should try the decocker again and see if you hear the click and the find that the next shot is double action.
Good suggestion, however, if you rack the 2022B all the way back, (and it will glide smooothly back) the slide catch will engage, and the hammer is then fully cocked and remains that way until I release the slide catch. That releases the slide and the hammer remains fully cocked.

If then I thumb (press as hard as I can) the decock lever, it doesn't drop the hammer. (No jokes please about being old and feeble) so I should be in SA mode, in which case I'm wrong about what I remember happening at the range MKII (but, then again, I forget what I had for breakfast this morning)(did I forget my meds, don't forget the pills!)

One thing is still for sure, my sig is a nail driver, no matter which mode it's in. And, the decocker, does not work. I went through all of this with the Sig. Tech. on the phone. Sorry Marquezj16, I lied about not having a phone. It is still to be determined by Sig. whether or not this may be due to my mag. being 10 rounds, instead of 15.

Thanks for the tip on the Sig Mag. marappl. I bought a 15 rounder, but it won't be here before my Sig ships tomorrow.

Non-the-less this gun has a glitch in it, however, unless something much worse crops up, its a keeper. While I don't care much for the grip material the slide action is smooth and easy. The trigger action is one of the best I've fired, and that's a few and a half. The sights are awesome, the accuracy is good enough to invite some of those Beretta types for a shoot off.

Finally, it looks and feels sharp, I just don't recall if the right leg feels as good as the left one. Anyway, I'll take them both.

Last edited by Bullrock; April 18, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old April 18, 2012, 07:00 PM   #57
JonathanZ

I ordered some Mec-gar magazines for my P226. I took them to the range the other day and they ran flawlessly just as I'd expect considering Mec-gar makes factory magazines for Sig. I got the 18 round mags for $25 each plus shipping. I think I could have gotten the 20 round mags for $30, but I wanted the flush fit mags.
Old April 20, 2012, 07:10 PM   #58
Bullrock

Siggy Exonerated - Well, sort of!

As previously stated Sig had emailed me a return shipping label to have the decock lever on my 2022B repaired. I don't know why it's called a lever, it's shaped like a lever, but its more of a button.

So I took it along with my Beretta Cougar to ihnillate a couple of paper targets. Then suddenly, a miracle! after several weeks of trying to find the sweet spot on the decock lever it happened.

While facing my menacing paper target I decided to test my siggy one more time, rack one, then with my thumb press the dcock lever as hard as I could. Oh well, back to the right thumb excercise machine.

Then, without warning, I could see my left hand reaching across to sieze my Siggy's decock lever, and with one quick motion, my index finger pressed, and CLICK the the hammer fell!!!

But then the longest and hardest DA trigger I have ever pulled. Enough, Siggy is saved from major surgery in New Hampshire, and all is well with the world.

To the few of you who kept telling me, "keep at it, the hammer will drop" THANKS!
Old April 20, 2012, 07:17 PM   #59
geetarman

^^^^^^^^^^^ Ok success at hand.

Now it is Friday and time to lift a tall cool one and be happy

Geetarman
Old April 20, 2012, 10:53 PM   #60
jibberjabber

The decocker is definitely not a button, it is a lever. You do push it like a button to initiate, but at the same time you drag the lever downwards while depressed to complete the process. Well, whatever, i hope you can now enjoy your Sig Pro as much as I do. Happy trails.
Old April 20, 2012, 11:06 PM   #61
paperpounder

Was the question ever answered? Was this a detailed strip and the OP couldn't put it back together correctly, or just a simple slide and recoil spring removal?

I seen a lot of reasons and excuses, but never a direct answer to a natural question.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old April 20, 2012, 11:12 PM   #62
jibberjabber

There was nothing wrong with the gun, the OP was just not familiar with the operation of the decocker lever.
Old April 20, 2012, 11:27 PM   #63
paperpounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberjabber View Post
There was nothing wrong with the gun, the OP was just not familiar with the operation of the decocker lever.
What happened to the "loose hammer and it rattles" and "the recoil spring moans and groans" issues?

I found this thread to be ridiculous from the start but had to follow it since a gun that I own and has been flawless was in question.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old April 21, 2012, 09:34 AM   #64
dondavis3

I hope this doesn't confuse anyone ...

But I do not push the decocker like a "button" to use it.

I just pull it straight down and it decocks.

I own several Sig's and on none of them do I "push" the decocker like a button.

If I'm nit picking please forgive me, that's not my intention

But the decocker does not work like a "button" to me

Old April 21, 2012, 09:40 AM   #65
dave9969

I personally am wondering how buds guns has any of the SP2022B's for sale, the current production model is a SP2022E.
I own the E variety in SP2022 and the damn thing is the favorite of my 9mm and that is compared to a magnum research desert baby eagle II( a mighty fine pistol) I like the sig better!

I believe the OP will find that after his 500th round, and it is broken in properly the spring actions fall in line with what he expects mine was a bear till I got past 500 rounds then it was like butter.

Decockers are a great thing if you know how to work them, since the SP 2022 has no manual safety, its about the only thing you have besides keeping your finger off the part that makes it go BANG.

Shooter safety folks, its all about you.
Old April 21, 2012, 06:07 PM   #66
Bullrock

Well, my problem is solved which is why I posted. It doesn't make any difference to me wether the 2022B has a decocker lever or button. The post should be history (for me anyway) with my thanks to many of you.

I've used decockers for more years than I can remember, and I've owned more guns than years the good lord has allowed me to be here. So, my sentiments to any and all Firearms Mfg's is simply, they should not, and do not need to hide stuff. Never mind reading the manual, that too, but decockers should be as visible as the nose on your/my face. I won't be using my Siggy for carry so it won't matter as much, but it should be very important to those who do.

Incidentally, the position of the decock lever on th 2022B is perfect position for a thumb down release, instead of feeling around for a sweet spot...

Quote:
I'd say Jibberjabber, in keeping with your good name, ask admin. to please position your post # 2, on this thread, which will keep all others who happen by here from wasting their time reading through it. Really, what insight ole jibby has... A cool one for him, maybe on Saturday.

Incidentally, I now have fired 260 rounds through the gun with the magic lever, consisting of both Winchester 124's and Federal 115's and the gun has performed perfectly...

Quote:
Ok success at hand.

Now it is Friday and time to lift a tall cool one and be happy

Geetarman ]
Yep! The first one's to you Sir, and play one for me...!!!
Old April 21, 2012, 10:54 PM   #67
jibberjabber

Bullrock, it's great to hear that your issues have been resolved. I don't want to dwell on the subject, but it is unclear to me whether my interpretation about the decocker function was in line or whether it was an unintended insult to your lengthy experience with similar mechanics.

It took a few rounds for me to break-in my own SP2022. I got some good advice from some members here when I posted about the FTEs I was having, and since then it's been nothing but 100% reliable.
Old April 22, 2012, 12:30 PM   #68
Bullrock

Jibber,

Well, if an insult is unintended, then it probably is not an insult. But, it could be construed to be an insult by the reader for a number of reasons, I don't think fits the venue here. At any rate, I read all of your stuff, and thanks for the help.

Experience is nice, but it comes with a price. Being old Sucks! Make no mistake about it.

The weather's bad here for the next few days, but next week that little siggy will be getting another workout.