The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2012, 11:07 PM   #1
Fusion

380 ACP loads for Speer TMJ

So I just bought some Speer 95 TMJ bullets at a great price. I've been loading 95 Grain Magtech FMJ bullets over 3.5 grains of Power Pistol. These are shot in an LCP, and the lack of case support had me worried, so I started with the minimum load I found for that weight FMJ. To my surprise they shoot amazingly well. I've gotten groups with these I never thought I'd see myself get from a pistol this size. I've just really been impressed. This load also cycles the action just fine which was another thing I worried about. The next thing I like about these is they are easy on the hand I can easily shoot 50-60 rounds at one range setting and not have a sore hand. After 6 rounds of Winchester Ranger T factory ammo, my hand starts getting pretty sore. The reduced recoil is very nice. So I thought I'd found the perfect load. That is until I got 1000 of these Speer bullets for around the price of 500 Magtechs.

Now that I'm switching I'm wondering if I should start off with my same 3.5 grains of Power Pistol, or if I should up the start charge to 4.2 grains of PP. The Speer book says 4.2 (or 4.3, I can't remember as it's been a few days since I read it) grains of Power Pistol is the starting charge for this bullet. I'm wondering if this is just the difference between manuals, or if I need more powder with a TMJ vs a FMJ?

Any opinions on where I should start here? What signs other than blackened cases should I be looking for to make sure I'm not too light on the powder charge if I do start with the 3.5 grains?
slowr1der is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old April 18, 2012, 06:37 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

Split the diff; start at 4.0g PP.
Old April 19, 2012, 04:12 PM   #3
sourdough44

I recently finished up some 380 loading with 90 grn gold dots & win-231 powder. I went with 3.6-3.7 grains and a .952 COL. That gave me 933 fps out of my Sig P238, 933 is 40 fps less than the factory 90 grn G.D.s, same gun. I used the low end of the Speer data to settle on the 3.6 grains of win-231. My scale would go to 3.7 at times with the charge, that's why I say 3.6 to 3.7.