The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
4T4MAG

Arbor Press

I have become fascinated by the idea of a small arbor press such as this one by Sinclair Int. for loading at home and at the range.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3...ir-Arbor-Press

I load for accuracy and not necessarily volume. I load .338 win, .338LM .300 win. .44 mag, .40 S&W and 22-250 rem.

With the Wilson hand dies and an arbor press will I gain better concentricity in seating and sizing? I have read all about it, but I am looking for reviews from people who have actually used one, love it or hate it.

Last edited by 4T4MAG; April 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old April 18, 2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Vance

http://www.amazon.com/Arbor-Press-1-...4806331&sr=8-3

Amazon has a 1/2 ton arbor press for 38 dollars that would be pleanty good for your task. No need for the 115 dollar one. Never used an arbor press for reloading though.
Old April 19, 2012, 12:32 AM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, 4T4Mag. The benchrest shooters use them. For bullet seating in .22 Hornet & .222 Rem., I use the Wilson with the Sinclair micrometer adjustable top. I can seat with only the pressure of palm of hand. Yes, concentricity is improved. Wilson also makes a neck sizing arbor press (or plastic mallet) type die, using bushings.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:03 AM   #4
jcwit

I use an arbor press when reloading at the bench at the range. Its only used for decapping, necksizing, and seating. Plenty heavy enough, and its for sure you have no need to lug around the 1 ton press that Vance linked to. I'm sure he's right in that he never used an arbor press to reload with tho.

We are talking about reloading for bolt action rifles and not doing any full length resizing. My cases have been reloaded over 75 times so far and only been bumped once.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:29 AM   #5
old roper

Sinclair sell different package that includes Wilson seater,neck die,bushing,arbor press,neck die base @ $220 you save about $20 and they go up to $270 for SS/Micro top and you save $36.

If you don't want the Mirco top Sinclair has the Wilson Seater shims set include from .003" to .020".

I use them and one advantage is adjusting neck tension when you get into fine tuning a load. You only size about 1/2 the neck so your get a round that pretty concentric to your chamber. Another advantage if you make changes seating depth,powder,neck tension,clean the primer pocket,primers,bullets etc you get to see instant result.

Downside there always one of those. Factory chambers can generous and the cases may not fit the dies so you have to send them along with some fired cases and Wilson fit them to the die at "no charge".

Other problem your making a round concentric to your chamber so hopefully everything else is concentric.

One thing I use to do in the early days since you should be able to seat a bullet by hand as Ideal Tool mention. Get a bathroom scale put the die on top scale seat the bullet and see how much lbs it takes. K&M got press now for that http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/ar...indicator.html

Here another place for Arbor dies there little pricey
http://www.neiljones.com/html/micro_dies.html

Well good luck