The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 14, 2012, 12:06 AM   #1
sks

Bersa? Walther? Nope - Cheetah

Well my wife was in the market for another carry gun and was strongly leaning toward the Walther PPK. She has been wanting one for the past few months and as tomorrow is her birthday I figured it was time to get her a new gun.

So we went to the store and she began to hold the Walther and glance at the Bersa. She had a Bersa before and loved the feel of it but the gun malfunctioned before we ever fired it; she traded that for a Taurus PT709. Didn't like the way that one shot and sold it.

While deciding between the Walther and Bersa she sees the Beretta Cheetah and asks to see that one. Wow! She couldn't get away from that gun after holding it and 30 minutes later she walked out with it.

She likes my 92 and knows the quality of Beretta which I think was the ultimate deciding factor. She balked a little at the price but in my opinion it won't matter if you like the gun and 20 years from now she won't remember it at all. Now she has to put in some range time and I need some .380 dies! Maybe I'll buy her some of that Zombie ammo!
Old April 14, 2012, 04:33 AM   #2
PSP

A world class pistol. Which model did she choose, the 84 or 85? My Berettas have never given me a malfunction. I carried a 84 for many years. It's an easy gun to shoot well... good choice.
Old April 14, 2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Pilot

I have been carrying my M85FS Cheetah a lot lately. It is a great pistol, and conceals easily.
Old April 14, 2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Lee McNelly

nope

to none of your choices
Old April 14, 2012, 08:11 AM   #5
wnycollector

I'm not shocked that your wife loved the Cheetah. The Beretta 84B is the only pistol that my wife will shoot. She says it feels like it was made specifically for her hand. She also likes the light weight of a pistol that holds 14 rounds!
Old April 14, 2012, 05:33 PM   #6
sks

We got the 84FS and will take it to the range tomorrow. Hope to put 200-300 rounds to start it off.

She carries in her purse so the size is not really an issue for her as far as concealability. In the past she has carried the S&W airweight .38, Taurus titanium .38 and Taurus PT709 9mm. She just likes the "balance" she gets with the 84 and yes the 14 rounds are nice!
Old April 14, 2012, 06:02 PM   #7
BConklin

I'd like to get an 86 Cheetah myself. Flip up barrel in a .380
Old April 14, 2012, 08:00 PM   #8
aarondhgraham

Nice choice,,,

The beretta Cheetah is the pistol that successfully blends elegance and practicality.

I absolutely love my cheetahs,,,

have an 85BB in .380 and an 87FS in .22 LR.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 14, 2012, 08:03 PM   #9
ShipWreck

Berettas rock!
Old April 15, 2012, 06:04 AM   #10
PSP

Several grips are available. Beretta makes two styles of wood- checkered or smooth, as well as the plastic panels. Pachmyer makes a two piece, full wrap-around soft rubber grip, but it feels larger in circumference. They grip your hand like super glue though.

I think CDNN has the wood grips for only $20. I have an older 84 that has two panels of soft polymer (feels like rubber), made by a now defunct business named Farrer, that are the best grips I've ever touched. Too bad they're all but impossible to find.

Last edited by PSP; April 15, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old April 15, 2012, 09:54 AM   #11
Rogervzv

I have a Model 84 Beretta that I picked up in 1982 or thereabouts. Good gun. I never found any grips as good as the smooth Beretta ones that it came with. Tried the Bianchi rubber grips but hated them; too fat.
Old April 15, 2012, 11:27 AM   #12
wnycollector

Quote:
the smooth Beretta ones
+1 on that. I have smooth Beretta grips on both my 92F and 84B. I find they are easier on my strong hand during extended range sessions.
Old April 15, 2012, 11:42 AM   #13
arentol

Can't go wrong on longevity with Beretta. I have a couple 60-year-old Berettas that run like champs. As a matter of fact my .22lr 948 cycles everything you throw at it, from the hottest .22lr loads around, to the cheapest stuff you can find. Doesn't matter what it is, that thing eats it like cake. The same can't be said about any newer .22lr's I have used. They all run into issue with one brand of ammo or another eventually.
Old April 15, 2012, 12:29 PM   #14
labhound

My wife has a Beretta Cheetah model 85. She loves it and shoots it very accurately! Great gun!
Old April 15, 2012, 02:01 PM   #15
sks

Well the range trip is delayed but I've got 250 rounds ready to go and will reload another 250 tonight and tomorrow. So she'll be good to go later this week.

She has the smooth plastic grips and likes them now. Not sure if she'll stick with that after shooting it.

Will give a range report when we're back. Looking forward to shooting this Beretta.
Old April 15, 2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Fargazer

I don't know why, but when people ask me about a .380, I never think of the Beretta Cheetah. I should - I've not heard anyone complain about their fit, finish, ergonomics, or accuracy. I'll have to make sure I include it as a gun to look at when people ask.
Old April 15, 2012, 11:21 PM   #17
Rogervzv

My venerable (but like-new condition) Model 84 is startlingly accurate. Nice tight groups at 33 feet at the range, and I am no great shooter.
Old April 16, 2012, 04:42 AM   #18
Pilot

I've been carrying my M85FS a lot lately, especially as the weather gets warmer. Great pistol.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:55 AM   #19
bitttorrrent

Just held one for the first time at Berreta's booth at NRA show. I have a Px4 and pt etc.. but this little cheetah was very nice. Out of all the guns at the show (1000s) i do remember this one as a quality gun with a nice feel.

May have to add one. I actually have an old .22 Tangfolio that is a knockoff of this gun and I even like that even though quality is lacking.

btw, my Beretta has never manlfunctioned and is an excellent gun.
Old April 16, 2012, 02:28 PM   #20
Andrewh

the wife's 86 actually carries in my 1911 holsters quite nicely.

but the recoil makes me want to pick up that p238 from sig.
Old April 16, 2012, 07:11 PM   #21
sks

Bitttorrent: The NRA show was spectacular and from their recent tweet it was a record breaking crowd. Took the family for a couple of days and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The Cheetah feels good in my hand as well. I've never shot it but the thing just feels right. We'll see about that after a range trip.

Andrewh: Are you saying the recoil of the Cheetah is severe? Ut feels too heavy to be severe. Now the LCP is one gun I do not want to shoot again. Can't see how anyone would practice enough with that to get any good.
Old April 17, 2012, 08:27 AM   #22
Andrewh

yeah, felt recoil seems very harsh compared to even my full size 1911.

ranks right up with say an officers.

the p238 was like a 22, but the wife loves it so can't get rid of it for the other.

tip up because she can't rack the slide on a lot of guns, so she was happier with that feature.