The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2012, 11:34 AM   #26
454PB

I can't comment on Lyman melting pots, but I've got several Lee pots. One of them is 39 years old, has melted a ton of lead, and still works just fine.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:41 PM   #27
zincwarrior

Good to know. Lyman is off the list of approved buyers for me.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:51 PM   #28
mikld

I try not to buy Chinese stuff for political reasons. I don't care about whether their products meet "specs" or not, I just would rather keep my money in the U.S. We have enough unemployment here to toss our money/jobs overseas...
Old April 3, 2012, 03:05 PM   #29
Jammer Six

I tried to explain that buying capital equipment overseas frequently made the difference between jobs here and no jobs here.

Why do people miss that? Is it inconvenient? Too subtle?
Old April 3, 2012, 08:43 PM   #30
LAH

I may be the exception but never a problem with Lyman Service. The lady who answers the phone did everything within reason to handle my problems. That was 10 years ago but can't speak for the present.

As for the shooting industry as a whole the only problem not handled was with RCBS & that was mold related.
Old April 4, 2012, 12:30 PM   #31
Gerry

I have Lyman molds, and they work well enough wherever they're made. I use a 20lb Lee Magnum Melter for for most of my casting (the Lee bottom pour pot I own sucks!). It works fine, and I've literally made hundreds of pounds of boolits from that pot.

Beware that Lee pots are really influenced by ambient temperature as far as their setting goes. It may seem counter-intuitive, but when its below zero outside you must crank your pot much LOWER than you would when the outside temperature is like 80 degrees. With any Lee pot, it's best to also invest in a thermometer until you get a feel for the lead temperature with experience.

I should also mention that this is the first thread that I've seen that puts down Lyman equipment over Lee. Usually it's the opposite, which is why I originally suspected this thread was just a troller.
Old April 4, 2012, 01:00 PM   #32
mikld

"I tried to explain that buying capital equipment overseas frequently made the difference between jobs here and no jobs here.

Why do people miss that? Is it inconvenient? Too subtle?"

It's hard to believe. I didn't miss it and no, it's not subtle (most of us here are intelligent enough to read/understand an opinion). It's kinda like saying buy your cars from foreign manufacturers so you can create gas station attendent jobs here. Why not buy capital equipment here, to creat two jobs here (one for the manufacture of the capital equipment and one for the use of the capital equipment?)
Old April 4, 2012, 04:27 PM   #33
Jammer Six

I tried to explain that.

The choice isn't between buying American and buying Chinese, then going ahead with the project.

The choice is between buying Chinese equipment or not doing the project, because of what we called the "American Entitlement Surcharge".

We didn't provide gas station jobs. We were a general contractor, we provided union jobs in all skilled trades, as well as union laborer jobs. We also provided jobs for various hanger-ons and satellites, like engineers, project managers and the occasional homeless architect.

If we didn't do the project, we simply laid them off.
Old April 4, 2012, 08:53 PM   #34
Vance

Kind of hypocritical isn't it? Union workers seem to think they are entitled to those high wages you know. So to prove your point, you go and buy equipment from the Chinese company who doesn't have to pay those entitled union workers, They have cheap expendable workers.
Old April 4, 2012, 09:57 PM   #35
Jammer Six

Nope. Have you ever seen a non-union construction site?

I've said it before, and I've gone around with lots of people about it. I've done it both ways on many scales in all weather.

A union construction crew is much cheaper than a non-union crew, in spite of the higher wages. Wired back skill saws and tennis shoes are for others.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:35 PM   #36
Vance

Housing prices are already out of reach for 75% of the American citizens and your going to support the Chinese economy. Good going.
Old April 5, 2012, 12:02 AM   #37
Jammer Six

Why, thank you!

I've come to prefer equipment, weapons and cars made overseas.
Old April 10, 2012, 03:34 PM   #38
floydster

Jammer, maybe overseas is where you should be
Old April 10, 2012, 04:22 PM   #39
mjm

Quote:
Have you ever seen a non-union construction site?
Yes. With all due respect, you do not know what you are talking about.
Old April 11, 2012, 06:54 PM   #40
floydster

mjm, there is one in every barrel
Old April 13, 2012, 07:57 PM   #41
saltydog452

Things are made to fit into a price point range. Stuff from Harbor Freight suits me just dandy. But, I use them occasionally, not daily.

Regarding imports, the best vehicle that I have personal knowledge of was made in South Korea. 98,000 miles and it still doesn't rattle and no money spent other than fuel and PM.

Never met the gent, but Jammer isn't the least bit bashful about saying which way the wind blows. Kinda doubtful if he'd try to blow smoke up your skirt.

salty
Old April 14, 2012, 08:29 AM   #42
dahermit

Uhhh? Where are the moderators? I have seen threads closed for much, much, much, much, less than what has been posted here (political, not about guns). Before it is closed, please post the reason why it was left open for so long please. I would really like to know.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old April 14, 2012, 02:36 PM   #43
Jammer Six

That's right, call them to heel!

I think you should demand your rights as a board citizen and paying customer!

Demand satisfaction or an explanation!
Old April 16, 2012, 01:05 AM   #44
mrawesome22

I sense this website is on the verge of shutdown.

Mods should have closed this thread a long time ago.

It has been this way for quite some time now.

http://vanishedmods.com

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2