The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2012, 12:38 AM   #26
chris in va

The shiny ring corresponds with the outline of the bullet, and you'll notice it starts at the depth of the bullet in the case. Why it's narrower after firing is beyond me.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:25 AM   #27
jwrowland77

After some further research, I realized I had dangerously crimped the bullets to tight which was causing the mouth of the case go inside the chamber.

Lessons learned after further research:

#1: Crimp was way way too tight. Less than the recommended .376 at the case mouth. This was causing the case to go into the chamber which was causing the belling. I GOT LUCKY. Luckily I was inspecting the cases after I fired and so I could look for signs of over pressure

#2: Before when using my bullet puller on the dummy rounds, there would be a small light "score" on the bullet. This should of been my first sign of over crimping, plus I didn't measure the mouth of the case. I now know its supposed to be .376-.379.

#3: NOW since I have adjusted my seating/crimping die, the mouth of the case with bullet in, it measures .379-.3795.

#4: BEFORE when I was belling my case, there was a small lip formed. Which I now know, I was belling it too much.

#5 NOW I have my expanding die adjusted to where it bells the case just enough to be able to seat the bullet firm but still within the .376-.379 range at the mouth of the case after being crimped.

I'd have to say I got very lucky on this one, but was still ok due to no real signs of pressure on the primers. Things that helped this from being a big uh oh, was that I didn't go anywhere near the max powder load of 6.6. My first loads went from 5.0-6.1. I think I'll be filing this one away for later reference and chaulk this one up to the good Lord for keeping me safe by his hands.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:28 PM   #28
Kayser

Good analysis. Over-crimping is not a good thing, but it's not devastating either. Consider a huge cartridge like a .44 magnum. They use a roll crimp where the lip of the case is physically folded over into the cannelure. Very extreme.

The important part here is that you noticed the issue in the first place, you did a little forensics and you learned your lesson. Your next batch will be significantly better.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:59 PM   #29
mrawesome22

Kayser, over crimping a round that headspaces on the case mouth can be very devistating.

A 44RemMag headspaces off the head rim so there is no way for the case to fall down into the barrel from over crimping.

Sent from Android CyanogenMod 7.2
Old April 14, 2012, 02:06 PM   #30
Kayser

That's a good point. I didn't pick up that he was saying he crimped them so much that it actually slipped into the barrel. I'm pretty surprised it even fired in that situation - wouldn't the firing pin have to travel an extra long way to actually hit it?
Old April 14, 2012, 02:14 PM   #31
Lead Express

It's good that you're safe! It looked like an over crimp issue, but I've never seen this myself. As long as you're crimping ONLY to straighten the case mouth from any belling from the expanding die, that should be enough.

Safe reloading, and thank you for sharing this problem. I learn something every day.
Old April 14, 2012, 02:15 PM   #32
jwrowland77

The only way I can explain the ring being at the top is it actually entering the barrel a little. I know after crimping before, the case mouth was definitely small than .376, probably more toward the .370 area.
Old April 15, 2012, 11:21 PM   #33
CS86

With the 9mm jacketed bullets you aren't really suppose to crimp are you? I thought you are just suppose to take the flare off. One thing that I have noticed when I set my die to low, and it crimped, was when the press cammed over and popped at the end of the stroke. Kind of like when you are resizing. When seating the bullet you really shouldn't feel much pressure on your handle when just taking the flare edge off.

One thing that helps me is the L.E. Wilson 9mm gauge. I actually accidentally ordered the gauge, but it has came in handy. Every time I run some test loads I check a few throughout the batch.

Check it out