The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2012, 12:36 PM   #1
BearArms2

CZ SP-01 with Safety or Decocker?

I am looking to buy a new CZ SP-01 -- this will be used in the home and at the range (not shooing for sport).

It is my understanding that the safety can only be used once the gun is already locked. Since I was not going to carry this pistol, I dont have much need for being cocked and locked.

Because of this, I was leaning in the direction of the decocking version -- however, as I was reading about this version, it says the decocker only HALF cocks the pistol. I am not familiar with this -- can someone explain what it means to be half cocked? Is the trigger pull just as long as the first DA/SA shot? Can the chamber still be emptied if the gun is cocked (if maybe a noise is heard but found to be nothing) and there is no longer a desire for the pistol to be used?

can anyone offer advice on which one to buy please?
Thank you!
Old April 13, 2012, 12:51 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Sure. The advantage of sitting at half cock is that the trigger reach isn't quite as long as if the gun was fully decocked. Given that CZ's tend to be large firearms, good for people with larger hands, I found that to be a nice touch. In addition the hammer is not resting on the firing pin as it might be if fully decocked. Newer SIGs do the same thing. (This is an older way of providing a safety in case the gun was dropped so that the firing pin wouldn't be triggered. Most companies now, including CZ I think, have firing pin blocks that prevent this regardless of where the hammer is resting. However it doesn't hurt to have.)

As far as emptying is concerned yeah the slide can still be manipulated if decocked.
Old April 13, 2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Venom1956

IMO The safety lends itself to future upgrades as well. such as a target trigger etc. CZ Custom won't put them in decocker models for obvious reasons. SP-01 in DA/SA so if you wanna have it safety off and hammer down its still ready to go, or you can cock and lock it like a 1911.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old April 13, 2012, 01:25 PM   #4
TunnelRat

CZ will do an action job on a decocker model...
Old April 13, 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
The advantage of sitting at half cock is that the trigger reach isn't quite as long as if the gun was fully decocked. Given that CZ's tend to be large firearms, good for people with larger hands, I found that to be a nice touch. In addition the hammer is not resting on the firing pin as it might be if fully decocked
All that you state above is correct, but could be misinterpreted if the reader isn't familiar with the guns -- so I'll expand a bit on what your wrote.

A non-decocker CZ can also start from hammer down, from the half-cock notch (just like a decocker model), or from the fully cocked position, with the safety on. This third option is possible with the decocker models.

A few of the oldest pre-Bs don't have a half-cock notch -- I had two of them.

Starting from the half-cock notch with a non-decocker model is no less safe -- as the hammers in those models have TWO hammer hooks, while the decocker models only have one.

While the hammer CAN rest on the firing pin if the gun is fully decocked, it is still an inertial firing pin, and the firing pin must travel a good distance before it can striker a primer. And, as you rightly note, with a firing pin block, this is all moot, as the firing pin can't move unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear.

(Note: I had not seen, handled, or owned a CZ with the new Omega trigger system, and hopefully get a chance to do all of those things, one of these days. I'd like to see and feel how this new mechanism compares to the older style system.)

With regard to the OP's question:
Quote:
Can the chamber still be emptied if the gun is cocked (if maybe a noise is heard but found to be nothing) and there is no longer a desire for the pistol to be used?
If you feel the need to empty the chamber, you drop the mag and rack the slide. That empties the chamber. Then, you simply reload the extracted round into the mag, and put the mag back in the gun. You have a gun with an empty chamber and full mag.

Or, you learn to decock the gun manually, so that the gun is ready to go the next time you pull the trigger. It's a basic gun-handling skill and easily done with a little practice.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 13, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old April 13, 2012, 02:06 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Quote:
A non-decocker CZ can also start from hammer down, from the half-cock notch (just like a decocker model), or from the fully cocked position, with the safety on. This third option is possible with the decocker models.
Shoot you're right, sorry been handling too many 1911s lately .

I guess the real advantage of a decocker CZ is the ability to have an automated method for decocking and then carrying in DA as opposed to manually lowering the hammer.
Old April 13, 2012, 02:30 PM   #7
loose_holster_dan

i have cz's with both the safety and the decocker. my 75b and sp-01 shadow have the safety, and the pcr has the decocker. i like the decocker and i like the safety on the 75b, but the safety on the sp-01 is a little loose, and can wiggle it's way into the safe position if your thumb is resting against it while firing. that may just be a defect in mine tho.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 13, 2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
...but the safety on the sp-01 is a little loose, and can wiggle it's way into the safe position if your thumb is resting against it while firing. that may just be a defect in mine tho.
Sounds as though the spring on the inside of the frame, which puts pressure on the detent (or the detent itself, a small piece of plastic) is worn. Call/email CZ about the problem and see what they say; you may need two small parts. It'll take a few minutes to replace the parts.
Old April 13, 2012, 03:21 PM   #9
loose_holster_dan

yeah, i've been meaning to replace the detent for awhile. i was just saying, i don't know if it's a problem they see a lot from the factory.
Old April 13, 2012, 04:58 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Yours is the first time I've heard of an issue with the safety. Not a common problem, in any event.
Old April 13, 2012, 06:19 PM   #11
armoredman

Monday, 1-800-955-4486, they'll help.
I like decockers, and carry the poly SP-01 Phantom at half cock. It's a great sidearm, went shooting with it this morning, as a matter of fact. Half cock is perfectly safe and perfectly usable, I recommend it. Shoot with confidence!
Old April 14, 2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Pilot

I prefer the models with the safety that enable carrying DA or SA cocked and locked. However, decockers are not deal breakers for me as I own, and often carry the PCR. My PCR also had a superb crisp and light trigger out of the box. Better than my 75B but that has smoothed out nicely over time as well.
Old April 14, 2012, 11:48 AM   #13
RC20

Wow, my head hurts.

Too many options. If you change your mind, then you always have to think about the gun and not what you need to do with it.

Go with a Sig with the DA/SA. Carry it loaded and of course with it de-cocked.

Need to shoot, aim and pull the trigger, just like a DA revolver with no safety.

I can see you spending 5 minute figuring out what mode you are in. Argh.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Too many options. If you change your mind, then you always have to think about the gun and not what you need to do with it.

Go with a Sig with the DA/SA. Carry it loaded and of course with it de-cocked.

Need to shoot, aim and pull the trigger, just like a DA revolver with no safety.
Hmmm. Just aim and pull the trigger? Well, that's true with standard or decocker versions of CZs. Don't like the options? Don't buy a version that has the options. It is YOUR CHOICE, you know.

What you seem to ignore is that the beauty of having OPTIONS in a gun you've bought is that you can ignore the ones that you don't like. There's no reason to be confused, and no reason to suggest/imply that it'll be too complicated -- 'cause it won't be.

(Note, too: the CZ safeties ONLY work if the hammer is fully cocked and you can only do that on the models that allow cocked and locked starts.)

I also have three SIGs, and two of them -- a 226 X-Five and a 220 Super Match -- are single-action only; neither has a decocker. The third SIG, a 228, functions just like a decocker CZ.

So, in the final analysis, SIGs are just like CZs, but with one fewer TYPE of action: SIG doesn't offer a gun that lets you start from cocked-and-locked while offering the option of a hammer down start if you want it in the same gun.

None of this means that any of them are better than the others based on the action alone.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:53 PM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
So, in the final analysis, SIGs are just like CZs, but with one fewer TYPE of action: SIG doesn't offer a gun that lets you start from cocked-and-locked while offering the option of a hammer down start if you want it in the same gun.

None of this means that any of them are better than the others based on the action alone.
Agreed. Action alone does not give any advantage to SIG over CZ.
Old April 14, 2012, 01:59 PM   #16
loose_holster_dan

for combat or self defense, i still give the advantage to sig. for bang for your buck, i give cz the advantage. for the most part, i would rather take my cz's to the range than my sigs, with the exception of my p226 uspsa edition. that thing is just too sweet to leave at home. for home defense, it is what is always sitting in the night stand.