The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1
MADISON

Is there a factory duplicated load?

I am looking for reloading data on Factory Duplicated for 40 S&W
for a 150/155 grain bullet.
Is there such a thing?
Help
Old April 10, 2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Rangefinder

Why duplicate the factory when part of the plus to reloading is to be capable of developing custom loads to your pistol that are superior?

No sarcasm intended--really, my .40 performs better with even my own cast bullets than any factory load. BUT, if you want to mimic a factory load, the easiest way is to choose a bullet that matches their profile and weight, chrono it, and build up your load with a powder that will give you similar velocities.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 10, 2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Hoosier_Daddy

Being frugal, I was hoping to not have to buy or borrow or rent a Chrono. I known the Chrono is the best way but like the poster, I was hoping to learn from the all knowing.

Last edited by Hoosier_Daddy; April 11, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old April 10, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

Check and see what the estimated velocity of the factory ammo is. Then find a book load that is close to that. Work up to get close.

I do this for 9mm, and .45 ACP to get close to my carry loads. It cuts the cost to practice with close to my carry loads without having to spend $1 a shot or close to that.
Old April 10, 2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Rangefinder

Quick case and point:

Factory Federal Hydra-Shok 165gr. in .40S&W, according to FBI test showed a MV of 1007fps with 13 inches of penetration in gel and expansion to .62, no mention of weight retention.

This is my 160gr. cast Hollow Point moving just shy of 1100fps with 18 inches of penetration in water, 12 inches of penetration in wet-packs (water soaked news print--I use shredded newspaper packed in jugs and filled with water). Expansion to .78 with full weight retention. The one on the left was an experiment in copper plating that I have since deemed not worth the trouble.

The next one is called swaging (pressure-forming). It uses a spent 9mm case in this instance, gets a lead core stuffed, and is then notched and pressure-formed in a die to form the nose. These are 175gr. and compare to Speer 165gr. Gold Dot JHP's. The Gold Dot show 1076fps with 13" penetration and expand to .65. The swaged 9mm cases JHP's are 10gr. heavier, booking 1125fps, penetrate 20" in water (haven't run these in wet-packs yet) and expand to .62 across the petals with 98% retention (lost the spent primer from the 9mm case when it hit the water and squeezed core out through the flash hole).

I don't do the swaging yet--can't spring for the dies just yet. But a buddy that makes the dies swaps me for a good price to keep me stocked pretty good--these came from one of his clients.

The cast I do. The lead I get by the 5-gallon bucket for the cost of a 12-pack. So those run me about $0.05 a pop. Tough to argue with that performance at those prices.

I do realize many are NOT in a position to do this--it does take a level of dedication and time that many just can't spare. BUT, I did want to give you some examples of what CAN be done.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 11, 2012, 05:20 PM   #6
MADISON

similar velocities?

Rangefinder:
The idea of "similar velocities" is the close to a factory duplicated load.

6.8 grains of UNIQUE with a 150/155 grain bullett is all I can find.
One place on the web list a load of 8.0 grains. Would that be safe?