The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2012, 06:55 PM   #1
pspc271

Tips for trying different loads

So I’m testing out a few different loads for my FNP-45. I've loaded up 10 rounds each of 5.0gr, 5.2gr, 5.4gr, 5.6gr, and 5.8gr. of Titegroup with Remington primers, and Berry's 185gr RNHP. The cases are mostly Speer with a few Winchester mixed it. Other than looking to see which produces the smallest group what else should I be looking for? This is the first load I’ve ever experimented with. I previous copied a load I found on the internet, 100 rds of 4.6gr Titegroup under Hornady 230gr FMJ with the same primers and they shot great, way tighter than Walmart whitebox. Im just looking to see what else I can do to shoot even better and learn more from this hobby.
Old April 11, 2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Kevin Rohrer

You could start by investing in a couple manuals, especially Lyman #49. Loading ammo isn't rocket science, especially when it's pistol ammo. Trust the manuals, but be skeptical of Internet loads.

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!" --Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN
Old April 11, 2012, 02:02 PM   #3
S_Constitutionist

You will likely have a preference as far as recoil impulse, smoke, smell, dirtiness in cleaning, muzzle flash, etc. all outside of accuracy.

There isnt much else I can say other than you will know it when you hit the sweet spot