The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 7, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1
ZVP

Saw a fantastic Army model at the range!

This guy had a Colt Army Model replica ( don't know the make ) but he was punching consistant 10's with it at 21 ft! His groups were like an inch, great shootin!
He must have regulated the sights to that range as he told me he was shooting 35gr loads and round balls. I know Colt copys are supposed to shoot high like the origonals did. This one sure didn't!
Made me feel bad with my '58 Remmie Sheriff's model throwing high 2"+ groups at the same range. I worked on the front sight and got my round ball, 30 gr Pyrodex loads zero'd at 21ft/7 paces since that is supposed to be "Combat Distance"...
At least my Remington will now hold 2"+ groups offhand at that distance, which ought to be good enough to play "Gunfighter" at shilouette targets! Soda cans are a pretty sure thing up close too.
I didn't have to take much off the front sight to bring the groups down. Now to play with different charges and see where it'll hit at longer distances???
ZVP
Old March 7, 2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Hawg

Taking metal off the front sight makes it hit higher.
Old March 7, 2012, 07:13 PM   #3
arcticap

Hawg is right ZVP.
The front sight needs to be adjusted in the opposite direction of how one wants the impact to be moved.
It's the rear sight that needs to adjusted in the same direction as the point of impact needs to be moved.
I wouldn't let 2 inches bother me, but you may have sighted the gun in at too close of a distance for "spot on" 25 yard target shooting. Just leave a little bit of room at 6 o'clock under the bullseye.

Last edited by arcticap; March 8, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Noz

An awfully lot of pistol accuracy lies with the operator, not the gun.
Old March 8, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
rdstrain49

Dare we say MOST