The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Jack Merrill

nosler ballistic tip coal?

I am trying to work up a load for my 270, I have a couple of hudred rounds of new winchester brass, and some nolser ballistic tip 130 gr spitzer bullets. I also have quite a few hornady interlock 130 gr sp bullets. when I check them with my hornady oal gauge, the bullets nearly fall out of the cartridge. I seem to have at least .200" of freebore. The rifle has always shot quite accurately, especially with federal premium ammo. I purchased the rifle used. I am just trying to work up a load for the fun of it. I am planning on using H 4831sc with a starting charge of 55 grains. I would appreciate any help on cartridge oal. the hornady bullets have a cannelure, I am assuming that that will determine my length on them. One more question, do I need to crimp the hornady bullets? I wouldn't think so, but I am by no means an authority, obviously. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old March 7, 2012, 12:28 AM   #2
mrawesome22

No need to seat to the cannuler or crimp.

If you can't get close to the rifling, you may have to go with a heavier bullet, which will be longer or just seat enough of the shank to ensure they stay in, and hope for decent accuracy.

Edit: 4831 might perform better than the short cut version. Better case fill.

Last edited by mrawesome22; March 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old March 7, 2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Freebore isn't necessarily bad.
Do seat deep enough to hold. If it is to the cannelure, that is what it is.
Too much OAL is bad.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

do I need to crimp the hornady bullets?

Jack Merrill: Hey Jack Jack, Are you running that new brass thru a F.L. resizing die first? A light crimp. And I do mean a lightly done one. Usually is sufficient for a 270 Win. And no. (crimping) it is not always done so on the bullets cannelure ring. I suggest strongly!! say within the guidelines of what the manuals say about C.O.L. Max & Min lengths. Do not worry yourself over Free Bore in a gun barrel for the time being. As you become more and more proficient at reloading you'll come to know and how? to deal with these different specific terms. One thing I will say about reduction of Free Bore done so on purpose? You increase chamber pressure dramatically!!! and >only at times< gain some really noticeable accuracy. Your 270 is more accurate than most other rifles you'll encounter right out of the box. Enjoy your rifle. But most of all >be safe with your reloads. SSMcG

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 7, 2012 at 02:16 PM.