The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Martowski

Happy New Lee Classic Turret Owner!

Just got my Lee Classic Turret press set up today and I'm extremely happy with this piece of equipment. It works exactly like it should and was easy to get running just following the instructions. I'd recommend this to anyone; Graf's is a great place to go through for the purchase as well.

Here's a quick write-up on my initial observations of this press:

http://martowski.wordpress.com/2012/...rret-delivers/
Old March 4, 2012, 02:13 AM   #2
GTOne

Congrats, I sure like mine.

There is no better value in reloading presses than the LCT.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've been singing Lee's praises on this press for the past couple of years now. Had they come out with this press years ago I think they would have a MUCH greater piece of the reloading pie.

I didn't care much for the priming system until I realized that I was using the wrong finger. Pushing it with a finger instead of the thumb led to a large number of misprimes. Switching to the thumb, as is recommended, dropped that to a rather insignificant number. Odd, but that's how it is.

I've always been a fan of the pro disk. My only complaint is that it tends to leak. With small grain ball powders like 296 or AA 7, the leakage is pretty severe, but with 231 it's hardly an issue.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4
wingman

The Lee Classic turret is an excellent machine I don't hesitate to recommend it to new re-loaders dollar for dollar tough machine to beat, slight learning curve with the primer system, I worked a couple hours smoothing operation of of the pro disk using super fine emery cloth and a couple hopper's of graphite she runs smooth now it's just a matter of keeping clean and minor lube to continue turning out excellent reloads.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Martowski

Yeah, the priming system at first seemed odd to me and I'm still tweaking a little with the position of the priming unit, but it works pretty well. The black plastic spacer is required to go under the priming attachment to the press, correct?

I'll be buying some more turret heads so I can simply switch out between calibers.
Old March 4, 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Martowski

Just finished my 2nd bach of 50 in only 15 minutes. Got the safety prime tweaked a little better in terms of position so it swings freely from the lever prime mechanism more often. Great press!
Old March 4, 2012, 02:28 PM   #7
CrustyFN

Glad you are happy with it. I have had mine six years and am still very happy with it.
Old March 4, 2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Don P

Question for Mike and the others, I just started using the primer system mounted to the press. Does everyone have trouble getting the last 1 or 2 primers to feed the primer arm? I kept having to take off the primer head tilt move shake to get the last 1 or 2 primers out and place them by hand in the primer arm. What gives? Village idiot running the press, equipment issues?
Old March 4, 2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

One solution is to keep the primer device full all the time. Of course, that means you can never stop reloading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P

Question for Mike and the others, I just started using the primer system mounted to the press. Does everyone have trouble getting the last 1 or 2 primers to feed the primer arm? I kept having to take off the primer head tilt move shake to get the last 1 or 2 primers out and place them by hand in the primer arm. What gives? Village idiot running the press, equipment issues?
Yep. However, I can get them to feed through the device OK just by shaking. No fingers involved. It just takes a little practice.

I am working on a priming device that works similarly, but does not depend on the weight of a stack of primers to ensure reliable feeding. My first prototype will be hand-held and drop directly into the priming arm's cup, but it should be able to mount on the press just like the Lee unit eventually.

Lost Sheep
Old March 4, 2012, 04:33 PM   #10
wncchester

"It works exactly like it should and was easy to get running just following the instructions."

Aw man, that's too easy, have you no compassion? You gonna screw up the only defence of those who refuse to read and follow instructions before loudly condemning Lee stuff on the net.
Old March 4, 2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Don P

Only asked a question. Before I primed by hand, boy, this Sunday crowd is really tough.

Last edited by Don P; March 4, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Martowski

I noticed my safety prime wouldn't feed the last two primers until I loaded up another 100 to put some weight behind them to push them onto the feed mechanism.
Old March 4, 2012, 09:19 PM   #13
dickttx

Quote:
"Question for Mike and the others, I just started using the primer system mounted to the press. Does everyone have trouble getting the last 1 or 2 primers to feed the primer arm? I kept having to take off the primer head tilt move shake to get the last 1 or 2 primers out and place them by hand in the primer arm. What gives? Village idiot running the press, equipment issues?"

I never get down to just a few primers. About the time the last primer is out of the tray and into the slot I put a new box in the tray. I store both the large and small setups in a regular size Folgers coffee can, along with both my primer seaters. Usually leave about 50 primers in each. When I start to reload I don't have to mess with primers, just the powder and bullets.
Old March 5, 2012, 01:08 AM   #14
NWPilgrim

I have the same issue with the last 1-2 primers not feeding. I have been been taking them out with my fingers and hand loading the primer cup with the last couple when I am finishing a batch.

As cheap as the primer tray/arms are it might be worth getting a couple extra so I have one each for SP, LP, SR, LR. Then just leave them partially filled at the end of batch rather than counting down to the last round.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 5, 2012, 07:32 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

The primer feed relies on a combination of gravity and the weight of the primers pushing the column down.

Just keep the primer tray full, or semi-full.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 5, 2012, 07:33 PM   #16
CrustyFN

Quote:
Question for Mike and the others, I just started using the primer system mounted to the press. Does everyone have trouble getting the last 1 or 2 primers to feed the primer arm?
Yes Don that is normal. What I do is when that happens if I am done for the day I will turn the primer tray over to get the primers into the tray and put them in the primer cup by hand. If I'm not done then I just add another 100 primers to the tray.
Old March 6, 2012, 07:19 AM   #17
Don P

Thanks for the info Mike and Crusty. This is my first go around with the primer on the press before I primed using the hand held. Thanks again guys much appreciated.