The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 24, 2012, 09:22 AM   #1
tpcollins

Anyone use a lube prior to bullet seating?

When I was full sizing brass, I would use a nylon brush rolled on the lube pad to swipe inside the case mouth that would facilitate bullet seating. But I always thought the powder would stick/get damp when charging with powder. I saw a tip where someone dipped their bullets into graphite prior to seating - so I bought some graphite but this is a messy process at times.

I thought about just swabbingthe bottom sides of the bullet with a Q-tip and some case lube prior to seating the bullet. Just wondering what other reloaders use or do you just seat them dry? Thanks.
Old February 24, 2012, 09:35 AM   #2
wncchester

If lubing a bullet or neck prior to seating was a common practice every loading manual's instuction section would mention it and tell how it should be done. But, they don't do that.
Old February 24, 2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not sure I'd want to lube the neck with anything. If the lube remains viable, it could lead to issues with bullet set back occurring a lot easier.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4
dunerjeff

I never have nor ever will lube my bullets. All that is generally holding a bullet in place is neck tension and the grip between the two.To me it would be like dumping oil on the ice in front of your tires and expect traction.

Last edited by dunerjeff; February 24, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old February 24, 2012, 10:20 AM   #5
hounddawg

depends on what I am reloading. For my LR and benchrest cartridges I take the bullet and brush it with a bit of talc before seating it. I chrono'ed my loads with and without and the SD was smaller on the treated necks than the untreated ones so I think it gives a more consistent neck tension.

For my pistol and iron sight AR loads I don't bother.
Old February 24, 2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Tuzo

Never found seating bullets in a bottle neck case to be difficult enough to require lubrication. For my .223 target reloads I sometimes a brush on bit of mica, but only when the urge strikes. Otherwise, I have found no difference in accuracy between reloads with mica and without mica.

If you must lube then I suggest using only inert material for lube such as mica, talc, and grahite. Not certain but oils may interact negatively with powder.
Old February 24, 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
AllenJ

I have never lubed a case mouth or bullet for the seating operation. I only lube the inside of the case mouth during resizing so the expander does not stick. Once done resizing I clean the outside lube off with a towel and then put the brass in a tumbler to ensure all lube on the inside is removed.
Old February 24, 2012, 02:51 PM   #8
brickeyee

The bullet is retained by the force of the interference fit into the case (by at least a few thousandths of an inch).

No lube is needed r desired for this step.

Inside case lubing when using conventional bottle necked case dies with an expander reduces work and avoids stretching the case as the expander is withdrawn from the case.

A conventional die reduces the neck more than required to ensure that it is small enough the expander can size it from the inside without worrying about case thickness.
The expander sets the neck diameter as it is withdrawn.

Typical collet dies come in multiple sizes to account for brass thickness since they only touch the outside of the case.
Thin brass requires a smaller collet to make sure the inside neck dimension is correct compared to a thicker case neck.
Old February 24, 2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Ideal Tool

Only when I'm loading cast bullets!