The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 21, 2012, 01:27 AM   #1
OnTheFly

Opinions wanted on Plano Large Shooters Case 178100

http://www.opticsplanet.net/plano-mo...case-camo.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/plano-mo...ase-46768.html

The large case got a bad review, but that does not necessarily mean it is a bad case.

Does anyone have any experience with the aforementioned Plano cases? I have a new range bag on order, and I thought a hard sided case for my cleaning supplies would be nice. The cases also have a cleaning rest for rifles. I don't have anything as of yet to put the rifle on while I clean, so I thought this sounded interesting.

Opinions from anyone who has used one or seen it in person?

Thanks,
Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...

Last edited by OnTheFly; February 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
springer99

Works as advertised. I have and use the smaller case with the removable lid. Bear in mind that when you have a rifle in the cradle, you won't be able to reach all the other bins very well, so in actual use, plan on it taking up twice it's size in table space. Holds alot of stuff!
Old February 21, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
OnTheFly

Thanks springer99!

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 24, 2012, 12:01 AM   #4
OnTheFly

Surely someone else has an opinion?

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 24, 2012, 10:32 AM   #5
johnbt

Not on those models, but I have experience with two of the MTM products that are similar: the Maintenance Center and the Portable Maintenance Center. I've had the MC for years and gave my father the Portable one. Five years ago he moved to The Home and I gave it to my uncle and he likes it okay.

The point? They work, but if you plan on pushing a really, really tight patch through the bore you will need to keep a hand on the rifle and press down to keep the whole thing from sliding around. They are (obviously) not a big old all-metal bench vise bolted to a heavy work bench - which I also have. But the plastic gun holders work well enough.

I don't take mine to the range, but it's very handy for moving and storing stuff. Some days I clean or work on guns in the basement; some days at the dining room table (closer to the big tv) and some days at a desk upstairs in front of a sunny bedroom window.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...-cleaning.html