The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2012, 07:08 PM   #1
zachkuby87

reloading "starter kit"

ok so i just bought my first 10mm and the prices are insane along with my .45 acp's so ive decided i wanna get into reloading can you guys give me the basics of what im going to need? id rather start with nice stuff that will last a long time and do the job well than buy cheap and end up upgrading in a year. i understand the basics of reloading i just have never done it at all and i really want to learn and get started soon. ive heard the abc's of reloading is a must read. are there any other's? what brand of equipment do your recomend? i would like something easy to use. what sort of measurment tools am i going to need? thanks ahead of time
Old February 5, 2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

"Search" function is your friend

Thanks for asking our advice.
Quote:
(edited for brevity) ok so i just bought my first 10mm and the prices are insane along with my .45 acp's so ive decided i wanna get into reloading can you guys give me the basics of what im going to need? id rather start with nice stuff that will last a long time and do the job well than buy cheap and end up upgrading in a year. i understand the basics of reloading i just have never done it at all and i really want to learn and get started soon.
Then you are off to a good start. Recognizing that starting with cheap (as opposed to economical) gear is generally unwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachkuby87
ive heard the abc's of reloading is a must read.
Yes, ABC's has a lot of information, but no load data. Loading manuals have some information about the steps of reloading in their early chapters but load data and ballistics data abunch in the later chapters. Get ABC's AND at least one manual. Lyman's seems to have the most recommendations and I agree.
Quote:
what brand of equipment do your recomend?
I repopulated my loading bench recently with the best gear money could buy that fit my needs best. As it turned out, it was mostly Lee Precision. I chose a Lee Classic Turret, Pro-autodisk powder measures, Lee safety prime and RCBS 1010 scale were the primary pieces. If you want a progressive press, Dillon or Hornady. Redding makes very high quality stuff, but I don't see as many proponents on the forum. In single stage, RCBS RockChucker is really strong, but Forster is a coaxial press of supreme accuracy. (The extra leverage and rigidity of the RC and the and the extra trueness of the Forster may be wasted in handguns, though)
Quote:
i would like something easy to use.
A single stage press is simplest to use. One with a breech-lock bushings system makes it easier to switch dies because with a regular press, you adjust the dies each time you install them. With interchangeable bushings, the adjustment stays with the bushing/die pair. Its just a little more expensive for the bushings. Turret presses have the same feature.
Quote:
what sort of measurment tools am i going to need?
For 10mm and .45 acp, your barrel will do. If the rounds fit like factory rounds do, you are fine. Just disassemble your pistols. (Drop the rounds in, how the round's back end feels in comparison to the barrel hood and then see how easily they drop out and pay attention). Eventually you will want calipers that will measure down as fine as 0.001" and/or a chamber gauge (maybe).

Having (attempted to ) answer your specific questions, let me share with you some posts and threads I think you will find informative. So get a large mug of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, whatever you keep on hand when you read and think and read through these.

The "sticky" thread at the top of TheFiringLine's reloading forum is good, entitled, "For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST "
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171

The "sticky" thread at the top of TheHighRoad.com's reloading forum is good, entitled, "For the New Reloader: Thinking about Reloading; Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST"
www.thehighroad.org//showthread.php?t=238214

The first draft of my "10 Advices..." is on page 2 of this thread, about halfway down.
www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

"Budget Beginning bench you will never outgrow for the novice handloader" was informed by my recent (July 2010) repopulation of my loading bench. It is what I would have done 35 years ago if I had known then what I know now.
http://www.rugerforum.net/reloading/...andloader.html

and this one, titled "Interested in reloading" and mentioning 45 ACP specifically
www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

My post, Minimalist minimal (the seventh post down)
www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107332

Thread entitled "Newby needs help."
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=430391
My post 11 is entitled "Here's my reloading setup, which I think you might want to model" November 21, 2010)
My post 13 is "10 Advices for the novice handloader" November 21, 2010)

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; February 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old February 5, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

To kit or not to kit?

A kit will get you started with ALMOST everything you need. They always lack something. They also have things you use, but will be unsatisfied with and trade in (at a loss, it goes without saying). So the savings in getting a kit is largely illusion. But it probably will get you started a little quicker.

A Kit will also have things you don't need, which is a waste of money But does provide some trade goods.

Building your own kit MAY be a little more expensive, but carries with it the research (and knowledge gained therefrom) you do in selecting the equipment best for you.

How long is your foresight?

Without a press, dies and a way to mete powder, you cannot load, period. (Exception, the Lee Load-All, which is dead slow and uses a mallet to drive the process.)

These two, you cannot load without, physically. Press and dies.

Powder can be measured out by scoops, by scale or by a powder measure or a combination of those and it would be exceedingly foolish (or suicidal) to load without measuring your powder with a scale for verification. So, item 3, a scale

So, count three items as absolutely essential. Everything else adds safety, efficiency, speed and convenience.

The "more that are essential", though are necessary for reasonable safety. A loading manual with load recipes and instructions of how to go about the process. A pair of safety glasses (just in case a primer goes off, which is rare, but can happen).

So, five things HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended.

A way to place primers in the priming cup on the press is a great help (rather than using your fingers) and will speed things up as well as reducing the chance that skin oils will contaminate the primers.

Six things and your are reasonably set up for everything you can expect.

See the Kit put together by Kempf's Gun Shop on line built around the Lee Classic Turret for an example of such a kit. It lacks only a scale and has only the MTM ammo boxes extra. No other kit (not built around a progressive press) I know of includes dies.

The Lee Pro-1000 progressive press includes dies, but I personally don't recommend it. I never got used to monitoring multiple simultaneous operations. Besides, it is much easier to learn on a turret or a single stage.

A bullet puller will enable you to disassemble any rounds you put together that are out of spec (or that you suspect might be). Loading blocks let you keep a batch of cartridges together conveniently. Micrometer will help measure things when you find that you want to measure something. Most store-bought bullets are the right size, so yo might not need the micrometer for a while.

As you load and develop your personal style, you will find things you would like to have. Pick them up as you go.

Welcome, and thanks for asking our advice.

By the way, the quantities you intend to shoot/reload is very important so we can give you valid advice. Also, will you leave your gear set up or put it away after each loading session. How often will you switch calibers? Will your loading sessions be an hour or two fairly often or all-day affairs less often or semi-annual marathons?

Lost Sheep
Old February 6, 2012, 09:10 AM   #4
dsb1829

The 10mm is what pushed me off the fence into reloading. I have been set up for a couple months now (loading 10mm and 45acp so far). I went with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit. IMO it is the best kit out there since it is a no compromise kit. Everything in it is quality equipment, so there is no urgency to upgrade or replace anything. Add a tumbler and a set of calipers and you have more than enough to get started.

After getting the basics down and having ~700rd under my belt I am starting to look into case trimmers and additional tools. I do think 45acp could be done a lot faster with the addition of a progressive, but the high pressure 10mm I am good with the single stage pace.
Old February 6, 2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Lost Sheep

Split the difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb1829
The 10mm is what pushed me off the fence into reloading. I have been set up for a couple months now (loading 10mm and 45acp so far). I went with the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit. IMO it is the best kit out there since it is a no compromise kit. Everything in it is quality equipment, so there is no urgency to upgrade or replace anything. Add a tumbler and a set of calipers and you have more than enough to get started.

After getting the basics down and having ~700rd under my belt I am starting to look into case trimmers and additional tools. I do think 45acp could be done a lot faster with the addition of a progressive, but the high pressure 10mm I am good with the single stage pace.
Splitting the difference between single stage and progressive, an Auto-indexing turret might fill your needs. You don't have to use the automatic powder drop if you want the measure each charge. Just remove the measure and put a funnel in its place.

I started with an RCBS Jr, but traded that for a RockChucker (just because the opportunity presented itself, not because the Jr was not enough press).

I got tired of only 50-60 rounds per hour and got a couple of progressives, but never got used to trying to monitor simultaneous operations. Dividing my attention made me nervous.

I finally got a Lee Classic Turret. It loads in continuous manner (like the progressives, instead of batch), but only does one operation at a time (which I prefer), yet gave up nothing in speed to my progressive presses (which were slow because of my caution and primer feeding problems).

Good luck

Lost Sheep
Old February 7, 2012, 11:21 AM   #6
CrustyFN

The Lee classic turret is a great starter press. Check the kit at www.kempfgunshop.com for the best deal.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7
jimkim

I use my Lee Classic Turret for just about everything now. Every now and then I'll use one of my single stages or Dillon just to justify keeping them.
Old February 7, 2012, 12:18 PM   #8
serf 'rett

I've been pleased with the RCBS Rockchucker kit. Not only do I like the press, but the Uniflow powder measure, 505 scale and hand primer are top notch for the way I batch load pistol.

I've been eyeballing the Lee Classic Cast turret or perhap the Lyman or Redding turret as the next piece of equipment, because my current favored mode is:
1. de-cap and wet tumble with stainless steel pins
2. size, expand, sort by head stamp, label and store
3. prime with hand primer
4. drop powder, seat and remove case mouth expansion (separate steps)
Old February 7, 2012, 04:53 PM   #9
hk33ka1

Lee Classic Turret Press kit #90304 $200 and 40/10mm dies and .45ACP dies $34. You don't need case trimmer guages for these as you wont have to trim them. You can also load rifle ammo on this press later if you want to.
Old February 7, 2012, 10:37 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Shameless testimonial

At the risk of shamelessly advertising:
Kempf's Kit: $210

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

Lee Classic Turre
Pro-Autodisk powder measure (with a riser to get it out of the way of the primer device)
Lee Safety Prime (dispenser for use on the press - large and small primers)
1 Set Lee Deluxe Dies (caliber of your choice)
6 MTM plastic ammo boxes.

Lacks only a scale to get you up and running in grand style.

Sue Kempf knows her stuff and is rightly proud of this family-owned business.

Later you can add calipers, bullet puller, tumbler, primer pocket reamer/cleaner, case mouth chamfer tool, etc as you find the need for them.

Lost Sheep