The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2012, 11:38 AM   #1
M14

Anyone Loading 40 V-Max in Hornet?

I just started loading the Hornady 40 grain V-Max in my Ruger 77/22H. I'm using a COL of 1.808" so they function through the magazine. That puts the bullet deep in the case. My initial load was 10.0 of IMR 4227. I also have L'il Gun on hand. Does anyone have experience with either of these 2 powders with the 40 V-Max in the Hornet?
Old January 25, 2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Hafast

Hornet loads

I have been pleased using L'il Gun. I don't remember the exact load, but the case is nearly brim full. One trich with using L'il Gun is to use small pistol primers. Much more consistent velocities.
Old February 4, 2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Ricky Bobby

The 40gr V-Max is part of my currently favorite recipe for my Hornet. I am using Winchester brass with 12.7grs of Lil' Gun and CCI small pistol primers. It has been very accurate out of my Ruger 77/22.

The V-Max's can be pretty explosive when hitting bone. Shot a coyote last year at 75 yards and hit it in the shoulder. It put a pretty good size hole in it.

Also, used this round on some groundhogs. I was hitting them in the head and these rounds were literally vaporizing them. When I retrieved the groundhogs, there was nothing from the shoulders up. GONE!
Old February 6, 2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Scharfschuetzer

Lil'gun is the powder that works best in our Ruger rifle. We use WW cases and Rem 7 1/2 primers and the Remington bulk Hornet bullet. I do have several boxes of V Max bullets to try on our next trip back home and the prairie dog towns.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert