The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2012, 04:17 PM   #26
Tim R

I would seat it until they cleared the mag well...your basic oal is going to be no different than ball ammo. Keep in mind you might have feeding problems if you cut the oal too close because SMK's as good as they are the meplat or tip of the bullet has minor variations. This is because of the way Sierra draws the jacket. These variations are not huge, only a few thousands. If your seating depth is just clearing the mag well you still won’t be long enough to stick a bullet into the lands if loaded to mag length using a GI barrel.
On a side note. I don’t think anyone really addressed the 147 FMJ question. I have shot these with some success using IMR 5031 and CCI primers in a GI case. The amount of powder was towards the starting load as I recall. These bullets were given to me because they would not shoot for a buddy of mine. I broke a weld on the feet on one of his steel targets made out of armor because I hit the same spot twice on the foot. I have not used anymore 147’s since that supply ran out.
Old January 31, 2012, 06:08 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

3.290" COL is what Sierra lists with both the 168 grain and 175 grain MatchKings in .30-06. It's a good starting point. Once you like what you are getting, you can experiment, running up and down about .025" and 0.050" to see if one of those seating depths groups tighter than the other. The 168 can actually be loaded as short as 3.185" without the ogive ducking into the case mouth. For the 175 grain its 3.205". Those would be your lower limits. Some folks have used the full 3.340" with both bullets successfully, so I would look at that as an upper limit so feeding is still good.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old January 31, 2012, 07:00 PM   #28
PunchinPaper

Thanks guys!
I will probably put together a few test rounds within the next day or so.
I will post results at a after I range test.
I am going to use once fired G.I. Brass shot from my rifle.
Old January 31, 2012, 09:25 PM   #29
Tim R

If you want to spend a lot of money, My M-1's really like the 155 gr Palma SMK's with a dose of IMR 4064.