The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1
1Hobie

S&W Sport Barrel

After measuring the free bore in my S&W Sport last night, I found that not only that the 5.56 NATO chamber allows for extra leade/freebore, commercial ammo has to walk across town before it contacts the lands.

Has anyone had the stock barrel cut down and reamed to reduce the free bore? Just wondering if the barrel could be brought up to a higher level of accuracy without spending as much money to buy a high end barrel.

Hobie
Old January 24, 2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Just how bad is your Sport?

Do you think paying to have the extension removed, the barrel cut off at the breech, the threads extended (IF there is enough full diameter shank, I haven't looked.), the chamber reamed with a commercial throat, the extension returned and headspaced, the gas tube shortened to match, and everything put back together will be less than a new barrel?
Old January 25, 2012, 09:21 AM   #3
1Hobie

After all that, nope. The barrel only has about 600 rounds through it with fairly light loads. I knew that the 5.56 has a longer leades but it surprised me at how much more.
Oh well, I didn't expect it to BR tight.

Hobie