The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 26, 2011, 03:42 PM   #1
Sheep Doggy Dogg

Subcompact DA/SA?????

I'm looking for a subcompact DA/SA for my first CCW. I had looked at the G26, but I don't feel comfortable enough to carry it with one in the chamber and not have a safety. Therefore I have looked at a few subcompact models that are roughly the same size but in a DA/SA configuration.

My only two options at this point are the:

Beretta PX4 Subcompact
CZ RAMI

I know that sometimes short barrel guns can gave reliability issues so I am seeking out you guys' input. Which of these two would offer better reliability?

Also, I am open to suggestions on other models. Thanks!
Old December 26, 2011, 04:11 PM   #2
priler

if you consider a glock g26 a subcompact,than take a look at the walther p99 AS compact. you will not find anything closer to it in weight,length,height,ammo capacity,etc.,all while not going under 3.5" barrel(i don't like going below a 3.5" barrel for SD HP ammo),..but in DA/SA out there.

the walther p99 compact is also very reliable and has very controlled recoil impulse with it's dual spring system. the grip is also very comfortable for a compact(use with pinky extension for better grip/control). the .40s&w version is ok for some,i always prefer 9mm anyway(too many advantages,including recoil and follow-up,not to mention practise time $).

as a bonus,it also looks great.

you will find many others out there but none that come closer(to g26) than the walther,period.

some so-called subcompacts are actually heavier and taller than the walther(and g26) sometimes while having a shorter barrel.

...and none(DA/SA) are going to have a better trigger out of the box,including hk(DA/SA).

Last edited by priler; December 26, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old December 26, 2011, 04:13 PM   #3
sigarms228

I am not familair with either of those.

If I had to pick a subcompact DA/SA for myself it would be only either the HK P2000SK or the Walther P99C AS.
Old December 26, 2011, 05:18 PM   #4
Coltman 77

HK P2000 SK. A great handgun. Accurate, uber reliable and a pleasure to shoot.

Is it pricey? Yes but it's worth every penny when your life or your loved one's lives are in danger.

I've put 2,800 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo with zero malfunctions to date.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 27, 2011, 03:23 PM   #5
Pianoguy

From what you said about the Glock 26, it sounds like you want a semiauto with a safety which would be about the same size.

I have never read anything bad about the Beretta Px4 subcompact reliabilty-wise. I have the compact model which is a little different and it works fine and it was the one that originally had some problems. It's a little on the thick / heavy side (maybe the heaviest by a couple of ounces from all these others) for a CCW but certainly doable. The CZ Rami seems okay on first glance but some sites have had comments about their reliablity, at least in comparison with any of the others I'm suggesting. Maybe somebody could fill you in more on these pistols.

There aren't many semi-autos that have manual safeties. Lots of people don't like them. They're just something else to have to think about or could go wrong when you would least want it to. I know I originally wanted one but now would rather not. The only two I can think of with manual safties that I would consider that are comparable to a Glock 26 are the Beretta and the Ruger SR9c. The Springfield Arms XDsc has a grip safety so that it can't fire unless you have a hold of the grip like you intend to fire it. And it's just about as ugly as a Glock. (joking).

Most semi-autos have some sort of trigger safety or else a longer DA trigger that makes it harder to fire by mistake. The Sig P250sc has a DAO trigger and is pretty much the same size as a Glock 26. The Sig P239 also comes with a similar trigger but is a little bigger. The S&W MP's and SD's also have similar DA long triggers from what I've read. Compared to a Glock they do give you a feeling of safety although they do affect accuracy.

The Walther's (P99c and PPQ) and the H&K P2000sk have more Glock-like triggers and internal safeties.The H&K P2000sk is certainly a great gun and I would give it a try (They are expensive but lots of people are happy they bought one). The Walther's are only a shade lower on the best-gun scale. However if you were to consider them, you probably would have no problem with a Glock in the first place. In general these guns are designed for people with more experience where DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER really is one of life's commandments.

Most of the above are about the same size or maybe a little bigger (especially in the grip length) than a Glock 26. If you need the manual safety and don't mind the weight, the Beretta Px4 Storm subcompact would be a perfectly good choice. After you get used to it and have some training time under your belt, I would bet you end up carrying it with the saftey off. And then you can buy a Glock or Walther or H&K or..... heck, get them all.
Old December 27, 2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Justice06RR

Another vote for the PX4 subcompact.

My other suggestions are the SR9c, M&P9c, and Taurus 709Slim. The PX4 is a bit bulky and fat IMO so choose what best fits your preference. The Taurus709 was perfect for me being single-stack DA/SA with a ext thumb safety.