The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 25, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Wallace7777

Hornady LNL AP for Christmas

I received a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP for Christmas and am kind of figuring it isn't going to work for me. I am going to reload 338 Lapua for myself and won't be shooting a ton then I am also looking into reloading 300 Blackout. These are the two calipers I am most interested in and I don't think Hornady makes dies for the AP in 338 only the Classic Reloader that I can see, I Really don't think they make the 300 Blackout as of yet either. I really don't have to worry about a budget... does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help with this,

Eric
Old December 25, 2011, 07:56 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Why don't you just buy other brands of dies and use them in the LNL AP?

EDIT: You mean "shellplate" not die.

Nevermind.

I would give hornady a call and pick their brain.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 25, 2011, 07:59 PM   #3
rtpzwms

Yea check the other mfg's if you can't find what you're looking for some of them will make custom dies. I use mostly Lee dies in my LNL AP.

Congrats on the great press!
Old December 25, 2011, 08:42 PM   #4
mrawesome22

I'd recommend a single stage press.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme is what I have. Built like a tank and some have had their's for decades and are still going strong.
Old December 25, 2011, 08:48 PM   #5
PA-Joe

See if you can exchange it for a Hornady LNL Classic Single Stage Kit.
Old December 25, 2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Wallace7777

Ok, I see where I misled you guys, IllinoisCoyoteHunter corrected me. Yes they do make dies for both the 300AAC Blackout and the 338 Lapua... it is the shell plates that are not listed. However, the 300AAC Blackout uses the 223 cartridge so I guess the 223 shell plate will work but still have the issue with the 338 Lapua not having a plate listed.
Old December 25, 2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Wallace7777

Also, I can trade in the Hornady LNL AP and get the RCBS Rock Crusher Supreme, hornady bushings and die for the 338 Lapua for the same price because of a heck of a sale at Cabelas... Is this a good option?
Old December 25, 2011, 11:23 PM   #8
David Wile

Hey Wallace,

Congratulations on your L&L AP press; it is a great piece of machinery.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I got the impression that you do not have experience loading metallic cartridges on single stage presses. If that is true, I hate to see new folks jump into progressive reloading. Progressive presses are complex machines that do a lot of operations with each cycle of the press handle. A lot of folks who get a progressive press can be overwhelmed by various problems that have to be figured out and worked out with the press. For someone new to progressives who also has no experience with single stage presses, it can be a truly daunting task, and many of these folks give up and think their machine is no good.

If you do have experience, that is better, but if you are new to reloading, please take your time and keep asking for help from other owners of L&L AP presses. It really is a great machine that will work well when operated well.

As far as you wanting to load those rifle calibers goes, you apparently already learned your problem is with shell plates instead of die sets. Also, you have apparently found out you can use the same shell plate that is used for the .223, so now you are only concerned about your .338 Lapua. See, your problems are getting fewer already! I am not familiar with that cartridge, but I would suggest you call Hornady and ask them if they have a shell plate for that cartridge. I would not be surprised to find out they do have a shell plate for it.

Why don't you give us some more information about your experience level at reloading? Also, you might tell us where you live. Chances are that an experienced L&L AP user may possibly live near you and be of hands on help.

Keep in touch - we can try to help on the forum, too.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old December 25, 2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Wallace7777

Dave,

Thanks for the well thought out approach to my questions and situation. I only have experience loading shotgun shells but metallic reloading is new to me. I am an aviation systems engineer and understand very detailed procedures involving mechanical process so this part will not be a problem. I do agree, I don't have a firm grip on the detailed issues that must be learned that a manual can not teach you. I just need as much info as I can to make an informed decision before I go further. I am in the Dallas area... specifically Grand Prairie, TX if this helps.
Old December 26, 2011, 12:08 AM   #10
mrawesome22

I say keep the progressive if you want to make large batches of pistol ammo quickly. That is their intended purpose. If you are going to be trying for tiny groups at extended ranges, the single stage is better suited for making ultra precise cartridges.
Old December 26, 2011, 12:20 AM   #11
Wallace7777

I am kind of leaning toward going with the single stage for precise loads for my 338 and 300AAC Blackout. I have hundreds if not a few thousand rounds of pistol ammo so my real need in the immediate and intermediate future is my long range rifle ammo needs. Anyone that has more recommendations or agrees with this strategy, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Old December 26, 2011, 02:55 AM   #12
MarkDozier

First keep your LnL AP.
But do get a single stage press to:
A) learn the methods of reloading and gain a good understanding how it works.
B) Do you rifles loads on your single stage and when you are ready start running loads on your AP you will be knowledgeable of what is happening.
C) Start running your pistol loads on the AP and you can run rifle loads if you want good fun shooting rounds.
D) Do you precision loads on your single stage.
Old December 26, 2011, 06:22 AM   #13
Whisper 300

I cannot agree more with MarkDozier.
I load for a whole lot of calibers including a 338LM and 300 Whisper-aka 300BLK or 300-221.
I have never used my LnL AP for either of those cartridges and probably never will-WHY? The last thing I need with the 338 is volume production-the cost of components and wear and tear on my body from a 50 round bench session leaves me cold.

I reload those and a few other calibers for accuracy and use either an old RockChucker or Forster Co-Ax and am supremely satisfied with the end result.

I just don't see the need or advisability of high levels of production with those rounds-maybe just me.

Maybe if it was the only press I had.....but then again I cannot imagine jumping into reloading with a AP press. So much to learn about reloading before churning out a loaded round with every pull. Get a single stage, slow down and enjoy.

As always, just my humble opinion and you are entitled to yours.

Gary
Old December 26, 2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Wallace7777

Gary,

Thanks for your comments, I am starting to think the RCBS Supreme is the direction I am taking. Just needed everyone's opinion so I coul make an informed decision.

Thanks guys!

Eric
Old December 26, 2011, 02:02 PM   #15
Whisper 300

Wallace,
You are welcome.
If you get around to reloading subsonic stuff for the 300 BLK gimme a jingle and I can perhaps help out or at least give you the benefit of my mistakes and experiences with that particular round, ie, powder selections-I have tried a bunch, bullets for hunting, etc.
Offer is out there.

Best wishes,

Gary
Old December 26, 2011, 02:19 PM   #16
hounddawg

Quote:
I say keep the progressive if you want to make large batches of pistol ammo quickly. That is their intended purpose. If you are going to be trying for tiny groups at extended ranges, the single stage is better suited for making ultra precise cartridges.
^^^^^ What he said. I recently acquired a LnL for my pistol ammo, but long range precision loading just does not fit in well with a progressive machine. But that LnL is the greatest thing since sliced bread if you want to kick out a few hundred 9mm or 45ACP's