The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Tom68

6.8mm SPC vs. .270 Win bullets

Both bullets are .277" diameter: I presume they are interchangeable to the reloader...any ideas why they are marketed for separate applications? or am I missing something and they are not in fact interchangeable? Any reason a guy wanting to tinker for accuracy in a .270 couldn't use a 6.8 SMK?
Old December 20, 2011, 12:02 PM   #2
zoomie

You could. Generally bullets marketed for 6.8 are lighter, but it's just that - marketing. .277 is .277.
Old December 20, 2011, 12:17 PM   #3
kraigwy

The bullets are the same diameter, and diameter wise, they can be interchanable.

Just thumb through some reloading manuals, they use the same bullets in both guns.

The 6.8 uses faster burning powders then the 270 W, but they don't have the case capacity. That may be the reason Hornady recommend the lighter bullets for the 6.8.

I've played with Berger Match bullets in my 270 Win, they are OK, but in my light Featherweight Model 70 they don't show any great advantage over Hornady's SSTs, but this is a hunting rifle. The advantage of the Bergers wont kick in until you get to extended ranges, and since I don't hunt past 300yards I don't get the benifit of the match bullets.

I really don't see the Berger VLDs being much of an advantage in a 6.8, you just wont get the velocity you need for long range shooting and long range is where the advantage of the Berger's come in.

I'm not a believer in velocity meaning accuracy, but taking the 130 grn bullet there is a 700 FPS difference, that does show up in hunting.

The 6.8 was designed for gas guns, like the AR, if that's what you want, then thats the way to go. Not much chance of getting a 270 Win in AR.

But yes, the bullets are interchangable.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 20, 2011, 12:27 PM   #4
Tom68

Thanks Guys

you both confirmed my inclination. My TC Venture does well with the venerable 60.0 gr 4831SC and Nosler 130 gr BT combination--generally about 0.5" @ 100 yds, and I was contemplating doing some more refined development with some more precise components after hunting season just to see what the rifle is really capable of.

I'm not a bench rest guy, and I don't play one on TV...but I'd at least like to see if a little extra precision can make a difference. I'll decide later on the match bullet i choose. Thanks again!

Tom

Last edited by Tom68; December 20, 2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old December 20, 2011, 01:53 PM   #5
SL1

Because the two cartridges produce much different muzzle velocities, I suspect that hunting and varmint bullets marketed for the 6.8 may be more easily expanded/exploded than those marketed for the .270. So, using a 6.8 hunting bullet in a .270 MIGHT turn it into a varmnt bullet, and fail to put-down a large game animal.

The light Barnes all-copper Triple-shocks might work well in both, but I don't have the experience with them to vrify that hunch.

SL1
Old December 22, 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
LSnSC

The heavier 270 bullets take up alot of space in the small case, reducing velocity and the heavier hunting bullets dont expand well at 6.8 velocities.
The 100 and 110 gr Accubonds, 85 Gr TSX and 95 gr TTSX, and the Sierra 110 Pro Hunters are all good 6.8 SPC hunting bullets. Ive used the Sierra 110, Accubond 110 and 95 TTSX on deer out of my 18" 6.8 SPCII with good results.
The 115 SMK, 110 Hornady BTHP and the Nosler 110 OTM are good target bullets.
The bullets marketed for the 6.8 have their cannelure in a different location than those marketed for the 270.
Old December 23, 2011, 03:50 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Because the two cartridges produce much different muzzle velocities, I suspect that hunting and varmint bullets marketed for the 6.8 may be more easily expanded/exploded than those marketed for the .270. So, using a 6.8 hunting bullet in a .270 MIGHT turn it into a varmnt bullet, and fail to put-down a large game animal.
For many bullets it's simply a weight range thing.
Light bullets get labeled as "6.8".
Heavier (or "standard") bullets get labeled as ".270".

As a long time .270 Winchester shooter, I watched the marketing change, when 6.8 SPC started gaining popularity. Where we used to have about a dozen varmint and/or light big game bullets labeled ".270"; we slowly started getting labels that read "6.8" instead.

My favorite .277" varmint bullet is the 100 gr Speer Hollow Point. It has been around for 25+ years. Even while the 6.8 SPC was gaining momentum, the bullet retained its ".270" label. Retailers were able to keep a supply on their shelves, and sold only a few more boxes than in the past. Then, Speer changed the label. With "6.8" on the box, those 100 gr HPs started flying off the shelves, like never before. Almost overnight, my beloved 100 gr HP became hard to find, and the 6.8 junkies think it is "their bullet" now. Ignorance is bliss, I guess....

But, as LSnSC pointed out, there are now quite a few bullets on the market that were designed specifically for the 6.8 SPC. Barnes and Hornady are the leaders, in this regard.

So, 6.8 junkies, give my 100 gr Speer HPs back.