The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 10, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1
wogpotter

Flash cups / nipple cups

Pros & cons should I get one for a brand spankin' new percussion rifle or not?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old December 10, 2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Hawg

Nope. They're a PITA.
Old December 10, 2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Pahoo

All depends !

A lot depends on your sidelock snail and hammer. Some won't fit well, if at all and others really don't need them. They look kind of neat on some but first and formost, they should be functional. Why don't you wait and see if you really need one. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 10, 2011, 08:17 PM   #4
mykeal

I've tried them on all of my percussion rifles over the last 35 years and never found a combination that was worth the trouble. There may well be one (I certainly don't own ALL the rifles made - despite doing my best to do so), but I don't know what it is.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:48 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

In 50 years of shooting BP, I've only had one flash cup on one of my rifles - and that's because it came with it. It was on a H & A underhammer that I purchased new from Deer Creek. The only reason it was on the rifle was because of he close proximity of the nipple to the wood forestock. To be honest - I hated it. As stated by another it was a PITA. I finally removed it.

I've never used on on any of my side-lock rifles. Yea - after years of use it might show a little on the wood around the lock - but I have yet to examine an original rifle that saw extensive use that didn't show the same things - I jsut call it "character".

I got to the point where I use one of Ted Cash's cappers most of the time - I couldn't use it on my underhammer with the flashcup installed and I doubt if it would work on a sidelock either - maybe someone out there who uses a Cash capper and has flashcups can speak to that?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63